• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cost to taxpayers for a scholar

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not forgetting special scholars like Tony Tan's son--sponsored until PhD

And they don't need to serve NS until they are done. When they return, they get cushy jobs for NS ...no BMT as well. I know of one who went for a 2-week BMT which I didn't know existed.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are the elite scholars (those on SAFOS) and the average scholars (local universities and the merit scholarships). Those on the SAFOS have second career in the civil service.

From an old article (2007) I found ..."there are 351 administrative officers, political, judicial and statutory appointment holders. Their annual salaries include monthly pay, performance bonuses, allowances and annual variable components and the current wage bill for these officers is $200.6 million."

In 2008, the entry superscale officers - SR8 - earns $398k per annual before bonus and aws. Senior Perm Sec (MR4) earns $1.94 million before bonus and AWS.

The 351 scholars plus those in uniformed services would bring us to 400 or more elite scholars feasting on the taxpayer's trough. At $68 million each, that will bring us to a grand total of $27 billion! I am fainting, please check my math.

Yeah but depending what SAF rank they hold before they enter the civil service or government. REtire at BG means a double pay as PS plus pensions from the army. But if you retire say at LTC you may not get the military pay again.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
And they don't need to serve NS until they are done. When they return, they get cushy jobs for NS ...no BMT as well. I know of one who went for a 2-week BMT which I didn't know existed.

In Tan's case, he's not paid high (only 3SG salary) or was he given a special SAF allowance during his pay?

You also must remember SAFOS and government is nothing compared to Phil Yeo's ASTAR scholarships. PhD all the way. No NS until say they age 30 and then again too old for NS

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Tan's case, he's not paid high (only 3SG salary) or was he given a special SAF allowance during his pay?

You also must remember SAFOS and government is nothing compared to Phil Yeo's ASTAR scholarships. PhD all the way. No NS until say they age 30 and then again too old for NS

Was Tan a SAF Scholar? I thought SAF scholars are always officer ranks?

ASTAR scholarship is generous but not as good. The scholarship covers up to post-doc. Most of the scholarships are targetted at foreigners. Upon completion of undergraduate degree, the foreigner has to take up singapore citizenship. Then they can continue with the graduate studies. The scholarship covers fees, allowances, books, one flight home annually. After that, they are bonded to work for AStar for 6 years.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was Tan a SAF Scholar? I thought SAF scholars are always officer ranks?

ASTAR scholarship is generous but not as good. The scholarship covers up to post-doc. Most of the scholarships are targetted at foreigners. Upon completion of undergraduate degree, the foreigner has to take up singapore citizenship. Then they can continue with the graduate studies. The scholarship covers fees, allowances, books, one flight home annually. After that, they are bonded to work for AStar for 6 years.

Tan was some science scholar not President. He had two scholarships--one to finance his first degree and then another for his PhD.

ASTAR gets lots of young Singapore scientists. They used to have their faces published in ST.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe that P Tan was not a SAFOS, but some other scholarship plus the "no money" President's Scholarship (in name only, but probably must be awarded some other scholarship).

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe that P Tan was not a SAFOS, but some other scholarship plus the "no money" President's Scholarship (in name only, but probably must be awarded some other scholarship).

I thought the President Scholarship comes with big money, like doubling the perks of the first scholarship.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ASTAR gets lots of young Singapore scientists. They used to have their faces published in ST.

Most of the AStar scholars will not be joining the Admin Service. The big bucks is in the Admin Service. Naturalized sinkees who are in AStar are merely using that as a stepping stone to head off after their 6-year bond.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought the President Scholarship comes with big money, like doubling the perks of the first scholarship.

President Scholar is just the name. You first have to get into only PSC or SAFOS of SPF stuff to get the name. All President Scholars so far are PSC scholars--since from SAFOS everyone gets into PSC.

Interesting to note the three Ng Brothers. Only Brother Ng Chee Khern is a President Scholar--now in charge of Singapore's Spy Agency. Other two Brothers are not really high flying scholars but are CDF and CNV.