• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

COEs: How about balloting like for Primary Schools?

Travellor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you think it is fair?

Open COE system with quota still applicable for foreigners but 80% of the quota reserved for citizens to get COEs by balloting.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you think it is fair?

Open COE system with quota still applicable for foreigners but 80% of the quota reserved for citizens to get COEs by balloting.

Balloting leaves things to chance. You find that people who don't really need a car desperately will bid to try their luck (like Toto). If they win, then tantio. If they lose never mind.

For those who really need a car for work or to fetch a handicap person around they will also have to base it on luck, even though they have a stronger need. This is equivalent to gambling. I don't see what is so fair in gambling. The end reason is more people who really have the need are frustrated.

Imagine if other things in life are also done this way through balloting, it will be quite a crazy world e.g. applying for a job, applying to a particular course of study etc. I believe balloting is only fair if getting it or not doesn't matter too much to the person and there are many other occasions to ballot again and overall supply and demand are more or less balanced and balloting only determines how early or how late you are getting it.

Last edited:

Travellor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Balloting leaves things to chance. You find that people who don't really need a car desperately will bid to try their luck (like Toto). If they win, then tantio. If they lose never mind.

For those who really need a car for work or to fetch a handicap person around they will also have to base it on luck, even though they have a stronger need. This is equivalent to gambling. I don't see what is so fair in gambling. The end reason is more people who really have the need are frustrated.

Imagine if other things in life are also done through this way through balloting, it will be quite a crazy world e.g. applying for a job, applying to a particular course of study etc. I believe balloting is only fair if getting it or not doesn't matter too much to the person and there are many other occasions to ballot again and overall supply and demand are more or less balanced and balloting only determines how early or how late you are getting it.

Then why are Primary Schools allowed to subject the future of our children to this system leh?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then why are Primary Schools allowed to subject the future of our children to this system leh?

At that age you have to assume everyone is equal. If based on merit, there are only a few criteria that can be used, some that have been used here are even questionable like affiliation to the school. Does this really mean anything as to whether the child will do better in this school or in another school? Others like distance from home seem more logical.

After sorting out by all these criteria of merit, balloting becomes the only method left to decide the remaining applicants. At this young age, you do not want to stream them by intelligence as they are still developing and at varying and ever changing rates. So no entrance exams for them.

But not all schools need to go through a ballot which is only needed in the most popular schools. Unfortunately most parents think alike and get attracted to these same schools.

The way to change this attitude of the parents is to remove as many as possible the hurdles that mark the next stage of the child's life. An early streaming means that getting into a school that achieves the best for my child becomes very critical. If exams are taken just as an assessment of progress, not as a critical passport to the next of the child's life, parents will be less kiasu and practical reasons will predominate for their choice of school e.g. the distance from home. That way, the locations of schools can be planned to sync well with the location of the population.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Retarded kiasu parents. I went to a neighbourhood primary school, a short walking distance from my home (and very convenient). I still managed to ace my PSLE and then go on to enrol in one of the top secondary schools.

Stop giving those little kids so much pressure at such a tender age. I look at those poor little fucks being pushed by their parents into tuition centres and enrichment classes on weekday evenings and entire weekends and I just shake my head.

What's next? Kindergarten entrance exams?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pappies will never go for ballot option.........simply because it cannot maximize 'profits'......it's all about $$$

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Retarded kiasu parents. I went to a neighbourhood primary school, a short walking distance from my home (and very convenient). I still managed to ace my PSLE and then go on to enrol in one of the top secondary schools.

Stop giving those little kids so much pressure at such a tender age. I look at those poor little fucks being pushed by their parents into tuition centres and enrichment classes on weekday evenings and entire weekends and I just shake my head.

What's next? Kindergarten entrance exams?

Tuyapeh says u should go and check out Nanyang kindergarten .... :wink:

Last edited:

crackhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you think it is fair?

you need to stop the car distributor from doing the bidding first. They are the ones that are "setting" the prices of the COE based on their target sales because the buyers are lazy to do the bidding.

The rules should be changed as follows:
1) Ban the bidding on behalf
2) Allow buyers to hold an awarded COE for 3 months in order to finalise a purchase
3) If awarded COE is not utilised in the 3 months, it will be recycled into the quota and the bid price to be paid in full as penalty
4) Car distributor should just sell and quote a "pure" sales price excluding COE

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ultimately how well you do in life or exams dose not really depend on which school u go to; its how disciplined you are; how hungry you are for success.

U can choose to take your work seriuosly, or hang out in some shopping center playing arcade. The choice is yours.

That main problem is peer influence. U hang out with a bunch of losers and you'll end up as one. That's the politically incorrect hard truth.

U can rename all schools in spore Raffles, or Nanyang; does that make a difference?