• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese New Year .... a period of stress and quarrels ?? ....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't have the CNY tradition and shall just stay home, catch up on some reading and watch TV. :cool:

It's one of those dying traditions in Spore.

The young don't want to be around answering embarrassing questions & many of the old relatives & friends have gone to greener pastures :rolleyes:

It used to be an important holiday, I remember lighting firecrackers & receiving ang pow:o However that is in the past :(

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Instead of asking specific questions like "When are you getting married?" or "When are you getting divorced?" :o :biggrin:, how about asking a general open ended question like "How's things with you?" and let the person answer as much or as little as he wants?

For those who have no choice but to subject yourself to such niceties, please give your opinion, whether you are the one asking or answering. :p

many peoples ( friends, relatives or acquaintances ) like to ask personal questions right at the start of conversations. Is that the usual way to make small talks?
I don't do that to anyone, always keep my questions very general and non-personal ( no job, boy or girlfriend, marriage questions, etc... ) I wouldn't go into those topics unless they start it.

Maybe I am bo chap or cold. I don't even know or remember what my friends do for a living, never ask them and really not interested in their personal affairs.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It used to be an important holiday, I remember lighting firecrackers & receiving ang pow:o However that is in the past :(

Firecrackers have made a comeback some years ago, though permitted under regulation only. After the Saturday RP rally @ Hong Lim, actually we saw GCT at Chinatown as G-O-H at the firecracker party. :eek: :biggrin:

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
many peoples ( friends, relatives or acquaintances ) like to ask personal questions right at the start of conversations. Is that the usual way to make small talks?
I don't do that to anyone, always keep my questions very general and non-personal ( no job, boy or girlfriend, marriage questions, etc... ) I wouldn't go into those topics unless they start it.

Maybe I am bo chap or cold. I don't even know or remember what my friends do for a living, never ask them and really not interested in their personal affairs.

Notice how people will not ask you about personal matters when you are doing well and making lots of $$$. Only when you are not doing well that the irritating questions start.

jw5

Loyal

It's very common to ask personal questions, but it's also very rude.
Some of those asking don't realise it, others do know that it's rude but they still ask because they are curious.
One way to put a permanent stop to these type of questions (and possibly the relationship) is to ask another personal question back.

Once, someone (probably an insurance salesman or "financial adviser") stopped me near an mrt station and his first question was "How much cpf do you have?" My reply was "You tell me how much you have first."
He walked away muttering angrily. :o :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Notice how people will not ask you about personal matters when you are doing well and making lots of $$$. Only when you are not doing well that the irritating questions start.
It's quite obvious that some people ask personal questions because they want to compare.
And it's always better for them if they choose someone whom they have already assessed to be worse off.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually, there's some kind of psychological and emotional equation to that. When people ask you personal questions when you're doing well, you'd gladly reply and put the feather in your cap look for the next feather. However, when such questions come when you're down in the dumps, you'd be feel very hurt and offended, feeling insensivity on the part on the inquisitor. However, even among common middle classes, I do agree there's one very bad Chinese habit, asking how much are you earning as-a-matter-of-factly as if they're your accountants or worse, tax auditors.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hate it when vistors came uninvited or made a surprised visit while you are having a nice holiday nap. I remember one of the CNYs (3rd or 4th day) I ordered pizza for 4 in the family and than suddenly this same visitors came to surprise us and there was not enough food to fill them. After they left, we have to clean up the mess of pizza crumbs they left behind and ended up we cooked only instant noodles to fill ourselves . Ever since than they were blacklisted by me till this day.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
No stress or quarrel just hve to give "angpows" to neighbours' kids, nieces n nephews! Talk cock sing song n a good nite of mahjong! Trying a 13 wonders tis coming lunar new year...hahaha!

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firecrackers have made a comeback some years ago, though permitted under regulation only. After the Saturday RP rally @ Hong Lim, actually we saw GCT at Chinatown as G-O-H at the firecracker party. :eek: :biggrin:

Are firecrackers dangerous? :eek:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sounds like home run all the way. OAH is LKY loyalist. I don't think he's too bothered with anti-PAP relatives as long as not anti-LKY. He's not standing again anyway. Can go to the races with Equalisation all the way!

OAH is standing. His son may too. Son now helping out at Shan's ward. Another father-son tag team.