• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese girl 16, the youngest person ever to become world chess champion

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the Ah Tiongs that will NEVER come to Singapore.

I've met many brilliant Chinese and beyond nationality pride and identity, they think Singapore is a dump for those that cannot make it in China; and our desperate crave for them makes Singapore disgusting.

Not true.. every year Singapore recruits all the top students from various provinces and give them scholarship and bond them after graduate.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LRPfMwMQU9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the Ah Tiongs that will NEVER come to Singapore.

I've met many brilliant Chinese and beyond nationality pride and identity, they think Singapore is a dump for those that cannot make it in China; and our desperate crave for them makes Singapore disgusting.

Really? the ping pong imports beat them and so did Tao Li.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Weiqi (go in Japanese, baduk in Korean) is a very interesting game.

For other chess games e.g. Chinese chess and International chess, you can quite easily figure out who's going to win and who's going to lose at the early-mid stage when you see a series of bad moves, one player losing some powerful pieces etc.

In weiqi, you won't know who's the winner until the final stages. A seemingly dominant player in the early stages of the game can succumb to a late comeback from the opponent. It's like sudden death in football.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are supposed to be some of SG's greatest talents: :eek:

-- Lim Swee Say
-- Chan Chun Sing
-- Teo Ser Luck

No, I agree.

You don't need to be talented to become a politician. Don't be misled by the MSM. :wink:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Strategy yes but it's still about pattern recognition and synthesis to apply the right strategy instinctively. Am I right to say that?

Definitely, pattern recognition and strategic thinking are crucial to games like chess and Weiqi, as well as a good memory for moves, openings, endgames and lessons learnt from past mistakes.

Question is, how much nurture and how much nature account for a top player's powers of pattern recognition, mathematical-logical cognitive ability, and memory? Given enough effort, most can play these games decently. But to be a champion, a great player? I think you definitely need innate talent, in addition to lots of hard work to be a top pro player.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely, pattern recognition and strategic thinking are crucial to games like chess and Weiqi, as well as a good memory for moves, openings, endgames and lessons learnt from past mistakes.

Question is, how much nurture and how much nature account for a top player's powers of pattern recognition, mathematical-logical cognitive ability, and memory? Given enough effort, most can play these games decently. But to be a champion, a great player? I think you definitely need innate talent, in addition to lots of hard work to be a top pro player.

I guess we can agree to disagree on the innate talent bit. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Weiqi (go in Japanese, baduk in Korean) is a very interesting game.

For other chess games e.g. Chinese chess and International chess, you can quite easily figure out who's going to win and who's going to lose at the early-mid stage when you see a series of bad moves, one player losing some powerful pieces etc.

In weiqi, you won't know who's the winner until the final stages. A seemingly dominant player in the early stages of the game can succumb to a late comeback from the opponent. It's like sudden death in football.

So can kelong like in football since the range is so wide? :eek:

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not true.. every year Singapore recruits all the top students from various provinces and give them scholarship and bond them after graduate.

Go Beijing and talk to the Qing Hua top graduates. I'll be there next week and I'll introduce you what Top Students really meant in China. These are the ones that have a choice of Ivy League Universities to choose from. Another reason why Singapore looks for students in remote provinces when they are young is because they cannot attract the older ones.

Lastly, Singapore gives them scholarships not because they are smart but because they are poor. The ultimate intention is to have them stay in Singapore. Why do you think we want Chinese who cannot speak basic English, throw shit loads of money and free tuition to them when these resources can be spent on locals to groom them?

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go Beijing and talk to the Qing Hua top graduates. I'll be there next week and I'll introduce you what Top Students really meant in China. These are the ones that have a choice of Ivy League Universities to choose from. Another reason why Singapore looks for students in remote provinces when they are young is because they cannot attract the older ones.

Lastly, Singapore gives them scholarships not because they are smart but because they are poor. The ultimate intention is to have them stay in Singapore. Why do you think we want Chinese who cannot speak basic English, throw shit loads of money and free tuition to them when these resources can be spent on locals to groom them?

yeah, lets go out and grab whatever we can.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talent is overrated. Chess at the highest level is all about pattern recognition. :wink:

A chess genius is born and not made. He/she is able to read the game of his opponent six or seven moves ahead. A player at the club level probably can do it with two moves ahead. There is no such thing as pattern recognition at the highest level because often the battle is strategical and not tactical.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
she's the ender in "ender's game" that the intelligent world is looking out and waiting for. there are not many of them, and they come once in many lifetimes. society needs to learn how to spot and safeguard rare geniuses. they are extremely important to mankind's long term survival in this unforgiving and hostile universe.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It's true that there are many talents in china ...with a huge population u can find both good and bad ah tiongs .