• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Ed helicopter

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Two maxims about the long run.

1. In the long run, we shall see.

2. In the long run, we'd all be dead.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
What the fuck are you mumbling now ?

First you insisted on the perfection of language. Now you backed off, with a pathetic general statement, after facts and reality are presented to you !!

What to do? Ramseth doesn't accept the fact that we have a language failure.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ramseth,

Back to the previous statement. U said u disagree we have a language failure.

Isn't it a fact we have speak good english campaign? With English as first language in our school system, yet we need speak good english campaign, isn't that language failure?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't need it. With humility, I think speak acceptable and comprehensible even when I'm in the US or the UK. But if others need it, so be it, and let it be.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't need it. With humility, I think speak acceptable and comprehensible even when I'm in the US or the UK. But if others need it, so be it, and let it be.

We are not talking about exceptional individual such as you.

PAP govt come out with this speak good english campaign that shows there's problem with our country's standard of english language.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP govt come out with this speak good english campaign that shows there's problem with our country's standard of english language.

It shows that the development of English here has grown too deviated from the London standard. There's nothing wrong with that. It happens everywhere, Canada, US, Australia etc. in the past. In fact, Londoners have some difficulties understanding northerners from say, Liverpool, Manchester or Newcastle.

However, the problem with Singapore is not English. It's the population composition, and the small composition. Americans or Canadians or Australians needn't realign to so-called good English or London standard English. But Singapore should. Improving English is the point, not abolishing English and go back to the age of Indo-Cina-Melayu island of Babel.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
It shows that the development of English here has grown too deviated from the London standard. There's nothing wrong with that. It happens everywhere, Canada, US, Australia etc. in the past.

However, the problem with Singapore is not English. It's the population composition, and the small composition. Americans or Canadians or Australians needn't realign to so-called good English or London standard English. But Singapore should. Improving English is the point, not abolishing English and go back to the age of Indo-Cina-Melayu island of Babel.

If there's nothing wrong with 'deviated English' then why the speak good English campaign?? The existence of the campaign shows there's something wrong with our English language.

Whats wrong to teach school subjects in Chinese, Malay or Tamil? Whats wrong with that? And use English language as 2nd language.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's wrong with teaching in English? Why teach in different languages to have a nation already so small being educated in different languages and grow up working in different languages? Keeping mother tongue is not only admirable, but also important, I do agree. And it's kept.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's wrong with teaching in English? Why teach in different languages to have a nation already so small being educated in different languages and grow up working in different languages? Keeping mother tongue is not only admirable, but also important, I do agree. And it's kept.

So how to deal with the sub-par language standard here? How to make sure that our country has got at least one fluent language like all other countries?

Look, we have poor standard in our spoken english here. And poor standard in our 2nd language. So how to change that? How to improve in our language standard?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
English as first language policy had lead us to the following result in our language standard:

1. Poor spoken english

2. Poor standard of our 2nd language

Which means we are not fluent in any languages.

So, is it wise to carry on with the current language policy, or shouldn't the govt do something with the current language policy??

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every country has its own citizen native speakers can't even pass school exams in their own native languages. The US and the UK have their own who can't pass English, the PRC and Taiwan have their own who can't pass Chinese.

Subpar? You said it right when you said that I'm good with languages doesn't mean others are. Now, when you're good with languages, doesn't mean others have to too. Measure yourself by your own standards by all means. Others are not obliged.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every country has its own citizen native speakers can't pass school exams in native languages. The US and the UK have their own who can't pass English, the PRC and Taiwan have their own who can't pass Chinese.

Subpar? You said it right when you said that I'm good with languages doesn't mean others are. Now, when you're good with languages, doesn't mean others have to too.

When the govt come up with speak good english campaign, whereby english is teach in every school, 90 over percent of the subjects in school is in english, shows tat we have a problem with our english language standard.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ramseth,

Let me ask u something. If there's nothing wrong with our spoken english standard, why would our govt wanna come up with speak good english campaign??

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too presumptuous for me to judge. I'm not an English language professor.

Dont have to be a English professor to know the answer. When our authoritarian govt come up with national campaigns, such as courtesy campaign, or good service campaign, it just shows that we have problems in those area.

Likewise, our govt come up with speak good english campaign, just shows that we singapore have a problem with our spoken english.

Its not presumptuous. Its you over thinking. Over intellectualize.

Last edited: