• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese (Asian) used to have most creativity and inventions in the world... BUT NOW?!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Papyrus = Thin Sheet Of Wood ?

Jah, go study your USA bachelor degree again. I am sure Western Civ, a history course, was part of a compulsory capstone/liberal arts component in your bachelor degree, as all American bachelor degrees do.

Egypt was part of the Hellenic empire that gave birth to Western Civ.

Egyptian civilisation, which started much earlier than the Greek civ, was an important foundation in the formative years of Western civilisation.

I studied western civilzation true. I don't really recall much but that's fine cos with a bit of research on the net we can check out everything.

Here's what i found under http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellenistic_civilization

Turns out you are correctly or partially correct.

Quoted ad verbatim from the link:

The nominal start of the Hellenistic period is usually taken as the 323 BC death of Alexander the Great in Babylon. During the previous decade of campaigning ( from 334 BC ), Alexander had conquered the whole Persian Empire, overthrowing the Persian King Darius III. The conquered lands included Asia Minor, Assyria, the Levant, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Media, Persia, and parts of modern Afghanistan, Pakistan and the steppes of central Asia.

Alexander had made no special preparations for his succession in his newly founded empire, dying as he did at a young age, and thus on his death-bed (apocryphally), he willed it to "the strongest".[SUP][5][/SUP] The result was a state of internecine warfare between his generals (the Diadochi, or 'Successors'), which lasted for forty years before a more-or-less stable arrangement was established, consisting of four major domains:

ok that's fine. Then we go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptolemaic_dynasty

The Ptolemaic dynasty, (Ancient Greek: Πτολεμαῖοι, sometimes also known as the Lagids or Lagides, Ancient Greek: Λαγίδαι, from the name of Ptolemy I's father, Lagus) was a Macedonian Greek[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] royal family which ruled the Ptolemaic Empire in Egypt during the Hellenistic period. Their rule lasted for 275 years, from 305 BC to 30 BC. They were the last dynasty of ancient Egypt.

I then did a bit of search on ancient egypt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Egypt

Turns out that prior to the Ptolemaic dynasty egypt had nothing to do with western civilization. Of course after a macedonian/greek man conquered egypt it would become a western civilization that is pretty obvious and would be the exact same thing if let's say japan got conquered by them.

I suppose it's more to make it known that egypt isn't exactly a part of western civilization historically until they got conquered by the greeks in which case they would have taken on greek culture and that was only for the last dynasty.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same As China

Turns out that prior to the Ptolemaic dynasty egypt had nothing to do with western civilization. Of course after a macedonian/greek man conquered egypt it would become a western civilization that is pretty obvious and would be the exact same thing if let's say japan got conquered by them.

I suppose it's more to make it known that egypt isn't exactly a part of western civilization historically until they got conquered by the greeks in which case they would have taken on greek culture and that was only for the last dynasty.

The Egyptian dynasties were quite similar with the Chinese dynasties. The Chinese dynasties were sometimes ruled by different group of people including the northern barbarians.

dongjin.jpg

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
China Had Invented Gun Powder

Jah_rastafar_I said:
Later, Karl Marx also commented that, "Gunpowder, the compass, and the printing press were the three great inventions which ushered in bourgeois society. Gunpowder blew up the knightly class, the compass discovered the world market and founded the colonies, and the printing press was the instrument of Protestantism and the regeneration of science in general; the most powerful lever for creating the intellectual prerequisites."[10]

Muslim_Rocket_Technology_3.JPG

Explosive Gunpowder and the First Cannon

The first use of explosive gunpowder and cannon is another critical issue in the history of civilization. Gunpowder was first known in China but the mixture used was weak and not explosive. The proportions of the ingredients were not the right ones for cannon and the purity of the nitrate was not adequate because of the lack of a purification process.

In the thirteenth century the military engineer Hasan al-Rammah (d 1295 AD) described in his book al-furusiyya wa al-manasib al-harbiyya (The Book of Military Horsemanship and Ingenious War Devices) the first process for the purification of potassium nitrate.

The process involves the lixiviation of the earths containing the nitrate in water, adding wood ashes and crystallization. Wood ashes are potassium carbonates which act on calcium nitrate which usually accompany potassium nitrate to produce potassium nitrate and calcium carbonate. The carbonates are not soluble and are precipitated.

How true was that article ? Yet, to find out soon.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Chinese (Asian) used to have most creativity and inventions in the world... BUT N

There is a fundamental flaw with the Confucianist train of thought. It is all fine and dandy if everyone behaves as per what is taught. But what if the other party or parties do not behave similarly and instead tries to take advantage of you? It is stupid to continue to behave like gentlemen when that happens. Sometimes aggression is absolutely necessary to safeguard your interests. As it is important not to learn without thinking, the same can be said for behaving as well. Blindly sticking to a prescribed way of behaviour without flexibility is the height of stupidity.

very true. actually there is a lot different teaching in Chinese culture, not only Confucius. some teachings are forbidden in ancient time but not now. anyway its more than Confucius in Chinese culture. hope you understand. thanks

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Chinese (Asian) used to have most creativity and inventions in the world... BUT N

There is a fundamental flaw with the Confucianist train of thought. It is all fine and dandy if everyone behaves as per what is taught. But what if the other party or parties do not behave similarly and instead tries to take advantage of you? It is stupid to continue to behave like gentlemen when that happens. Sometimes aggression is absolutely necessary to safeguard your interests. As it is important not to learn without thinking, the same can be said for behaving as well. Blindly sticking to a prescribed way of behaviour without flexibility is the height of stupidity.

The hierarchism of Confucian thought turns me off. Whenever there's a conflict, dumb useless chinks prefer to submit than to fight. All in the name of harmony. What is the raison d'etre of harmony if not to promote the interests of the individuals? What good is harmony if we lose justice? :rolleyes:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal

The hierarchism of Confucian thought turns me off. Whenever there's a conflict, dumb useless chinks prefer to submit than to fight. All in the name of harmony. What is the raison d'etre of harmony if not to promote the interests of the individuals? What good is harmony if we lose justice? :rolleyes:

The world is created this way. God's likely to be a monarchist than a democrat. Everything he created has great and small. Even men are made to be unequal. Some are rich and some are poor. Some are kings and some are beggars. The monarch system means there is a hierarchy for the family too. The granddad being the greatest and the youngest being the lowest ranking. Our democracy cannot fit into the way God want the way the world to be. There's always a traffic rule here.

Your SI unit system like metre is not compatible to His cubit system.

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal

who came up with the idea of fighting corruptions by rewarding themselves with millions?