• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China talented SMRT woman driver charged for killing heroine Maid

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ex-bus driver charged with causing death
Maid killed at pedestrian crossing after she saved baby girl
By Khushwant Singh

ST_IMAGES_ANNHOMA.jpg

MAID Puji Astutik laid down her life to save her employer's baby daughter.

As a bus bore down on her at a pedestrian crossing, she flung the one-year-old in her arms to safety.

A split second afterwards, she was run over. She died three hours later.

Yesterday, former bus driver Chang I Ching, 43, was charged with causing death by dangerous driving over the accident on April 24.

She is said to have failed to give way to the 28-year-old Indonesian while making a left turn from Choa Chu Kang North 6 into Choa Chu Kang Street 52 at 7.31pm.

The pedestrian crossing signal was in Ms Puji's favour, according to court documents.

The case has been adjourned until Jan 31, when arrangements will be discussed for the trial.

If found guilty, Chang could be jailed for up to five years and disqualified from driving for a period to be determined by the court.

Previous newspaper reports indicated that the maid also had her employer's elder daughter, then aged two, with her.

The older girl was unhurt.

Ms Puji was trapped underneath the SMRT bus after the accident. Officers from the Singapore Civil Defence Force had to use a 10-tonne jack to free her.

She was rushed to the National University Hospital with multiple injuries, but died at 11pm.

Her body has been sent back to her family in Java.

Chang was unhurt, as were the 50 passengers on the bus. She was sacked soon after the accident.

SMRT donated $10,000 to Ms Puji's family.

The maid's selfless actions also touched the hearts of members of the public, who donated $11,000 to her mother and siblings through Jack Focus Employment, her employment agency.

Ms Puji's employer, Mr Samuel Lam, donated another $3,000.

He told The New Paper at the time: 'We just want to show her family how much we appreciated her work and offer our condolences. Puji was part of our family and we just want to do our best to help her family back in Indonesia. '

Ms Puji's family members had told The New Paper that she had 'high aspirations' of becoming a teacher, but had to drop out of school when she was 15 as the family could not afford the cost of her education.

Her father died when she was nine.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ex-bus driver charged with causing death
Maid killed at pedestrian crossing after she saved baby girl
By Khushwant Singh

Ms Puji's employer, Mr Samuel Lam, donated another $3,000.

He told The New Paper at the time: 'We just want to show her family how much we appreciated her work and offer our condolences. Puji was part of our family and we just want to do our best to help her family back in Indonesia. '

$3000??!! What a fucking cheapskate! The maid gave her life for his child and he gave her family only $3000?

limpeh2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hongkees are a miserly lot. In fact, won't surprise me if that hongkee employer even billed the maid's family for shipping the barang-barang back to java.
Thankfully he didn't AFAIK

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Indonesian Embassy must assist the deceased family to sue the driver and SMRT for 1.8 to 2 million citing the case of the recent PRC kid who who died in KK. A life is a life irregardless of the status.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I presume if Roland from Tong Aik stepped forward from Tong Aik, we will be talking at least $50K. For a prostitute who drowned accidentlyand who charged $800, the sum came to $32K. In this case, the maid gave her life for a young child and she had right of way.

There are things in Singapore that I can never understand. Imagine, for the prosititute's case, SPH Toa Payoh Brothel sent a photojournalist all the way to her village and wrote a heart wrenching article that I thought I was reading about Joan of Arc and her sacrifice for her country.

I suppose Java must be a million miles away than China and no journalist from Toa Payoh Brothel can speak Malay.

Then again the accident did not take place in front of Sentosa Cove.

jw5

Loyal
I presume if Roland from Tong Aik stepped forward from Tong Aik, we will be talking at least $50K. For a prostitute who drowned accidentlyand who charged $800, the sum came to $32K. In this case, the maid gave her life for a young child and she had right of way.

There are things in Singapore that I can never understand. Imagine, for the prosititute's case, SPH Toa Payoh Brothel sent a photojournalist all the way to her village and wrote a heart wrenching article that I thought I was reading about Joan of Arc and her sacrifice for her country.

I suppose Java must be a million miles away than China and no journalist from Toa Payoh Brothel can speak Malay.

Then again the accident did not take place in front of Sentosa Cove.
Don't be too hard on the poor overworked photojournalist.
It would have been too much to ask for her to follow Adrian Chua to Japan and ask for his story.
She simply took the more practical alternative and followed the family back to China.
Same concept as the family asking for public donations instead of going after Mr Chua.
In fact, the father was quoted as saying that he wished Mr Chua had "taken better care of his daughter as a guest" and that he was shocked that "she smoked and drank".

Last edited: