• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Child-sex allegations lead Quebec film awards to change their name

Austin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Child-sex allegations lead Quebec film awards to change their name

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 18 February, 2016, 1:01pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 18 February, 2016, 1:01pm

Associated Press in Montreal

9df46220-d5fb-11e5-855c-84ae337d929d_1280x720.jpg

Claude Jutra, pictured in 1984 during the filming of “La Dame en coleurs”. Photo: Cinematique Québecoise

Quebec’s film industry has removed the name of an alleged pedophile from the title of its annual awards show.

Quebec Cinema announced the decision Wednesday after the French-speaking province’s culture minister asked the organisation to consider removing Claude Jutra’s name.

A biography released this week said Jutra sexually abused young boys, while Montreal La Presse quoted a man Wednesday as saying the late filmmaker began touching him when he was six years old and that the abuse escalated over a 10-year period.

“The testimony we read in La Presse was definitely a trigger in our decision,” Patrick Roy, head of Quebec Cinema’s board of directors, told a news conference. “I don’t feel like questioning the veracity of the account. It strikes me as very credible and it really shook me.”

The film director committed suicide in 1986 after battling Alzheimer’s disease. The Jutra Awards have been named after him for nearly 20 years.

His work included Mon oncle Antoine and Kamouraska.

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre said the city would move to withdraw Jutra’s name from a downtown park as well as from a street in an east-end borough. Quebec City and Levis, Quebec also intend to rename the Claude-Jutra Street in their respective cities.