• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chee: Opposition Parties Should Cooperate

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, you don't have logic here. If what Scroobal claimed is true, then how can the biggest PAP mole just resigned from NSP?

Goh Meng Seng

Heard of this phrase, new assignments? New tasking? Let's be serious. They don't need you at NSP. They were all there even before you joined them.
Maybe you didn't fare too well so off you go!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well Chee might have talked about opposition unity but if you read what he has said in later interview, he has said that he is interested in Bishan Toa Payoh as well... and I know, SDP is also interested in Tampines also. So may I ask, on one hand, you talk about opposition unity and avoiding 3 corner fights, but on the other hand, you start talking about the interests in other people's turfs.... got logic meh?
Goh Meng Seng

SAF Capt and SPF ASP? What a pairing you two will become. Both of you should hold hand and walkabout in the neighbourhood.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well Chee might have talked about opposition unity but if you read what he has said in later interview, he has said that he is interested in Bishan Toa Payoh as well... and I know, SDP is also interested in Tampines also. So may I ask, on one hand, you talk about opposition unity and avoiding 3 corner fights, but on the other hand, you start talking about the interests in other people's turfs.... got logic meh?

Definitely not Tampines. SDP has no presence in the east. They'd be looking to consolidate their gains in Sembawang, Holland-BT, Bukit Panjang and Yuhua, and maybe gun for Tanjong Pagar. Haven't heard about Bishan-TP, though a collaboration with SPP or Ben Pwee could be on the cards.

In fact SDP initiated a roundtable for opposition leaders prior to GE2011 to avoid 3-cornered fights. At this juncture in the development of oppo parties, no one party on its own is big enough to topple the PAP. Hence cooperation, and the need to maximize the number of GRC seats by avoiding multi-cornered fights. CSJ knows this very well.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Political parties could only grow stronger with critiques. Though I have been giving critiques on opposition parties but NEVER in my partisan life, have I broken opposition unity by going into 3 corner fights... unlike WP.
Goh Meng Seng

When you see a child got bullied by big guy, do you send a strong or weak person for the child? The weaker one might complain it is not fair but for the greater scheme of thing, look from the child's perspective.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Definitely not Tampines. SDP has no presence in the east. They'd be looking to consolidate their gains in Sembawang, Holland-BT, Bukit Panjang and Yuhua, and maybe gun for Tanjong Pagar. Haven't heard about Bishan-TP, though a collaboration with SPP or Ben Pwee could be on the cards.

In fact SDP initiated a roundtable for opposition leaders prior to GE2011 to avoid 3-cornered fights. At this juncture in the development of oppo parties, no one party on its own is big enough to topple the PAP. Hence cooperation, and the need to maximize the number of GRC seats by avoiding multi-cornered fights. CSJ knows this very well.

I maintain that SDP is doing very little for promoting opposition unity so much more. As a result it appears to lack sincerity and seem to be done for symbolic showmanship and record purposes.

Somehow it reads like "if the opposition doesn't win, it's not SDP's fault". Maybe it's because SDP has been blamed (unfairly to a certain extent) for minusing a few percentages away from the opposition.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Well, you can choose not to criticise PAP.... I am happy in criticising them for the sake of Singapore's welfare.

Goh Meng Seng

I guess we should all stop criticizing PAP. Otherwise it will keep growing stronger and take over the world.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The SDP roundtable was shot down, and for good reason. Prior to that SDP was accused of having encroached on NSP's territory, namely, Tampines. That did not set a good mood for subsequent dialogue.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Somehow it reads like "if the opposition doesn't win, it's not SDP's fault". Maybe it's because SDP has been blamed (unfairly to a certain extent) for minusing a few percentages away from the opposition.

The SDP cannot be blamed (unfairly or fairly) since it doesn't believe in barging into other people's territory without prior horse-trading. Why do you think they went into the unpopular northern and western areas?

That's why malicious rumours that SDP is going east are just that - rumours. Probably made by the legions of SDP-bashers out there, many of whom, surprisingly, are opposition (largely WP) supporters.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The SDP cannot be blamed (unfairly or fairly) since it doesn't believe in barging into other people's territory without prior horse-trading. Why do you think they went into the unpopular northern and western areas?

The main point was how genuine or symbolic SDP's unity talk is. I never talked about SDP barging into other people's territories. They have hardly done this. Then again, so are opposition parties that didn't even talk about unity.

That's why malicious rumours that SDP is going east are just that - rumours. Probably made by the legions of SDP-bashers out there, many of whom, surprisingly, are opposition (largely WP) supporters.

Nope, very hardly do I hear about SDP going east. Are you cooking up those rumours so that you can point to WP as the rumour-spreader? That sounds very SengkangPunggol strategy.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nope, very hardly do I hear about SDP going east. Are you cooking up those rumours so that you can point to WP as the rumour-spreader? That sounds very SengkangPunggol strategy.

Where have you been? Even forummers here know about these 'rumours'.

Well Chee might have talked about opposition unity but if you read what he has said in later interview, he has said that he is interested in Bishan Toa Payoh as well... and I know, SDP is also interested in Tampines also.

The SDP roundtable was shot down, and for good reason. Prior to that SDP was accused of having encroached on NSP's territory, namely, Tampines. That did not set a good mood for subsequent dialogue.

By the way, I'm not interested in fabricating stuff to target WP. First, WP is continually shooting itself in the foot without my help. Second, I'm more interested in strengthening opposition performance in general – and SDP's in particular – to topple the tyrannical PAP regime, as I mentioned to Kinana in another thread. That's why I too stress opposition cooperation.

As well, thin-skinned knee-jerk defenders of the WP like yourselves actually give your party a bad name. Think about it.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where have you been? Even forummers here know about these 'rumours'.

GMS is hardly a WP supporter. Thick Face Black Heart I am not too sure. They are in this thread and can answer for themselves.

I would like other forummers to stand up and say if they have heard that SDP wants to move to the east, because it is quite new to me and this rumour isn't very prevalent.

What I know is SDP sought permission from NSP to take up Tampines which NSP declined and SDP said nothing further. That is quite ok to me. It still doesn't address the question as to how outstanding SDP is in terms of opposition unity given that the SDP leader mentions these words at nearly every interview.

As well, thin-skinned knee-jerk defenders of the WP like yourselves actually give your party a bad name. Think about it.

I think no party can claim to have saint supporters and I don't blame these parties because its their supporters behaviour. Some WP supporters are too fanatic, blind and rude, but there are also SDP supporters who consistently lie and are poor in facts.

As much as I support WP, I do my part to be fair and not blind. I have not called you names and don't see how I give WP a bad name. Unless you are saying the act of defending WP itself gives WP a bad name. Then I would find it strange; being a WP supporter or defending WP is not a crime.

GOONDUSAMI

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Political parties could only grow stronger with critiques. Though I have been giving critiques on opposition parties but NEVER in my partisan life, have I broken opposition unity by going into 3 corner fights... unlike WP.

I should say, it will be very hard and difficult for me or anyone else in opposition politics to uphold this principle of focusing on contesting against PAP instead of stepping into other people's turfs, initiating 3 corner fights.

Goh Meng Seng
why no logic leh?

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Before GE2011, I would agree that the opposition should cooperate to avoid 3 corner fights since there is still plenty of pie leftover where PAP has been receiving walkovers.

Now things have changed, our opposition parties have been growing stronger and there isn't enough pie left. It is time we put an end to the horse-tradng and allow natural selection to take its course. The strong opposition parties should be allowed to survive while the weak ones need to be culled, and the only way to confirm who is weak and who is strong is to pit them against each other in an election, and allow the electorates themselves to decide instead of the party leaders deciding via horse-trading.

Unfortunately, there is a chance that the opposition may lose a contituency or two in a 3-corner fight with PAP winning with under 50% of the votes. I believe, however, that this would be a worthwhile sacrifice in the long run to strengthen the strong opposition parties. Ideally, I thought that we should have more 3-corner fights in GE2011 in the consituencies where the opposition wouldn't have won anyway. It was a lost opportunity for the opposition parties to compete against each other without costing the opposition any seats.

It's a real pity the Moulmein-Kallang 3-corner fight didn't go through. [sarcasm]Now we will never know which is the stronger opposition party, between Worker's Party and National Solidarity Party.[/sarcasm]

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
By the way, I'm not interested in fabricating stuff to target WP. First, WP is continually shooting itself in the foot without my help. Second, I'm more interested in strengthening opposition performance in general – and SDP's in particular – to topple the tyrannical PAP regime, as I mentioned to Kinana in another thread. That's why I too stress opposition cooperation.

You are worse than methink. At least he owns up to the need to conduct himself well after identifying himself as a staunch SDP supporter. You on the other hand can be written off.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before GE2011, I would agree that the opposition should cooperate to avoid 3 corner fights since there is still plenty of pie leftover where PAP has been receiving walkovers.

Now things have changed, our opposition parties have been growing stronger and there isn't enough pie left. It is time we put an end to the horse-tradng and allow natural selection to take its course. The strong opposition parties should be allowed to survive while the weak ones need to be culled, and the only way to confirm who is weak and who is strong is to pit them against each other in an election, and allow the electorates themselves to decide instead of the party leaders deciding via horse-trading.

Unfortunately, there is a chance that the opposition may lose a contituency or two in a 3-corner fight with PAP winning with under 50% of the votes. I believe, however, that this would be a worthwhile sacrifice in the long run to strengthen the strong opposition parties. Ideally, I thought that we should have more 3-corner fights in GE2011 in the consituencies where the opposition wouldn't have won anyway. It was a lost opportunity for the opposition parties to compete against each other without costing the opposition any seats.[/sarcasm]

You forgot about "independent" candidate/party. The White Scums just need to plant some in those marginal constituencies, to split 5-10%.

Another thing is, your version of competition is flawed because it is a market dominated by one giant who also controls almost everything and many small SME fighting over one another. Remove the part about controlling almost everything then I will agree with you.