• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chee Hong Tat said that Jamus Lim is wrong to label rice as an essential item as rice when made into sushi is a luxury item.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am puzzled to read Assoc Prof Jamus Lim’s Facebook post on the 1% GST absorption discount offered by some supermarkets and retailers.

Assoc Prof Lim claimed that the discounts are what he and Ms He Ting Ru had suggested in Parliament. This is factually inaccurate. What he and Ms He had proposed was an exemption of GST by the government for what they deemed as “essential goods”, and not about retailers choosing to temporarily absorb the GST increase on their own accord.

DPM Lawrence Wong had previously explained why GST exemption by the government for “essential goods” is ineffective in practice. Other countries that have tried this have encountered numerous difficulties, as the line between essentials and non-essentials is often ambiguous and unclear, e.g. rice may be considered as an essential staple but not when it is part of an expensive sushi dinner. What’s more, an exemption for essential items will benefit the well-to-do more, because they spend more on their purchases, including on essentials.

Learning from these experiences, we have developed our own distinctive GST system in Singapore – one that is fairer and more effective. Through the permanent GST Voucher Scheme, lower-income households pay a much lower effective GST rate than higher-income households (see attached chart).

Additionally, through the Assurance Package (AP), we have delayed the GST increase by more than 5 years for the vast majority of Singaporean households.

Contrary to what Assoc Prof Lim claimed, the Government is open to the idea of retailers absorbing the GST increase if they choose to do so. This is different from what the Workers’ Party had suggested in Parliament. In fact, it was MOS Low Yen Ling and her Committee Against Profiteering (CAP) members who have been tirelessly engaging supermarket chains and merchants to offer discounts and other offers. This behind-the-scenes work is what benefits our people, through concrete actions and outcomes.

Assoc Prof Lim claims that several merchants are making use of the GST hike to increase prices across the board. He should provide details of these merchants to the CAP, so that it can investigate and take action against any errant businesses seeking to profiteer from the GST increase. Importantly, Assoc Prof Lim should not misrepresent the debates in Parliament and claim credit for what others have done. That is disingenuous and misleading. While we welcome different points of view on public policy, we must ensure that our political discourse and debates are conducted with integrity and honesty.

Jamus is such a slimy PoS. How can any decent human being bring himself or herself to vote for such wankers?

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Liddat then soy sauces should also be categorised for eating with plain rice and sushi

VanDick

Alfrescian
Loyal
How did this CB Kia end up in parliament in the first place?

He should stop being a coward keyboard warrior. If he got the balls, then debate this issue with Jamus one-on-one in parliament.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

He should stop being a coward keyboard warrior. If he got the balls, then debate this issue with Jamus one-on-one in parliament.
Cannot lah

Else Jamus will Bijar lobang

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simple. Because their chief is a CB kia himself. Your typical 官二代 who thinks the world of himself because of his daddy's identity. :cool:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simple. Because their chief is a CB kia himself. Your typical 官二代 who thinks the world of himself because of his daddy's identity. :cool:

Ooh....ish a white Atas Satik Prince of Charming hah...how can a low ses born Jamus compete with a prince?

Last edited:

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal

Last week in Malaysia, journalists in Malaysia asked Malaysia Anwar Ibrahim about his relationship with Singapore PM and they said that Singapore PM outsmart Malaysia PM. Below was Anwar Ibrahim replied to the press:

Hsien Loong and I are different. I fought and win in all elections and I become Malaysia PM through my sheer dedication and political causes.

Hsien Loong inherited Singapore PM title from his father Kuan Yew

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last week in Malaysia, journalists in Malaysia asked Malaysia Anwar Ibrahim about his relationship with Singapore PM and they said that Singapore PM outsmart Malaysia PM. Below was Anwar Ibrahim replied to the press:

Hsien Loong and I are different. I fought and win in all elections and I become Malaysia PM through my sheer dedication and political causes.

Hsien Loong inherited Singapore PM title from his father Kuan Yew

The truth is hate to those who hate the truth.

However, I don't expect anyone to commemorate the (posthumous) 100th birthday of LHL. :cool:

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
What kind of fucking logic is that? It is like saying that his mother cb is a private commodity when used exclusively by his father, and a commercial product when used to service other blokes for a fee. After all, it's the same batu cave isn't it?
This "Chee Hong" needs to have his brain examined.