• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cheapskate distant relative at Marina Sands wedding in early 2011

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ironic thing is, for weddings, u can invite people and u hiam about the amt received..

how come we neber see people complain relative give very little pek gim?

Funerals by comparison are cheaper then weddings.
Amount of pek kim also less than wedding ang paos.
You do get people who complain about pek kim as well.

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
wedding normally i oni give $20 becos i believe it is the thought dat counts, not the amt given, if got no money to hold wedding dinner at marina sands, then hold at void deck lah...like mat yoyo weddings..
sign0139.gif

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wedding normally i oni give $20 becos i believe it is the thought dat counts, not the amt given, if got no money to hold wedding dinner at marina sands, then hold at void deck lah...like mat yoyo weddings..
sign0139.gif

Now some upgrade liao.....hold inside CCs

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sign0139.gif

hahahaha .... reminds to a malay wedding dinner at void deck few years ago.... my trainer's syce's son got married ..... I gave $300 angpow for the couple ..... ate nasi berani but no heineken atau chivas ........ but very good fun .... syce thereon groom my horses better ....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
ironic thing is, for weddings, u can invite people and u hiam about the amt received..

how come we neber see people complain relative give very little pek gim?

I find the Chinese wedding dinner custom very illogical. They're expecting the guests to foot the bill and maybe with leftover profit.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dun like ppl invite me juz to make the seats count.
why? cuz the bridegroom afraid empty seats will lose money.:oIo::oIo::oIo:

agreed.. even when some of my colleagues were invited for a dinner with the customers, there are some people who last minute cannot attend. then ask me want to go or not ? i say NO.

hossey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont think highlighting insensitive and low level professionals attending wedding dinner in this instance is wrong. At least with this message there will be more awareness so that the younger generation who attends dinner in future will not cause embarrassment to themselves.

By inviting friends and relatives to an exclusive place like MBS , we cant assume it's all show-off , the rich will prefer to have a grand dinner to remember this special occasion but surely they will not complain if their poorer relatives send them $30 or $50 ang pow. It depends on who is coming along and his status , but if I invite rich relatives , especially it is stated SC and Senior Manager SIA wife , I would expect them to have the decency to dish out an ang pow that will not put them to shame. They need not put in $500 but at least $200 to $300 for 3 paxs makes sense.

To put in $100 simply tells everybody ,they are out to take advantage , they cant be so misinformed since both are elite class. But it is quite common that such characters exist around us , strangly enough they are usually from a good family background and not those who are poor. The poor are moe generous and thoughtful too, hope this message will reach this family so that they will change their ways. Money is not everything in life, my pastor used to tell us , after death we can either go Heaven or Hell but all our assets still in bank and cannot be brought along .

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these formality can really spoil the fun of wedding... just find a big garden and hold a buffet party... specify "no ang pows please" but do enable payment via phone-banking

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
It all boils down to the individual. Some people are known to dish out 5 star red blessings for a 3 star banquet.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to tell you that you are the cheapskate here. Wanna throw lavish party, be the hostest with the mostest.

The whole concept of chinese wedding in Sg is one cocked-up occasion; just register at ROM and get it over with.

Cheers!

Against my wishes , my father invited relatives to my wedding dinner , when 1 family of 3 revert that they cant attend due to "an excuse" I was quietly happy. Then when they found out that my wedding is at marina Sands, they promptly called to inform that they can now attend....sad sad sad as I had been told this is a cheapskate family out to be free loaders all the time.

Came the wedding night , this couple , a Senior Counsel and senior manager SIA wife brought along teenage daughter . My parents were shocked when they opened the red packet on our behalf to find $100 in it. 3 persons attending a wedding dinner at the prestigious Marina Sands having the cheek to place $100 sheepishly into the red packet ! Are they that low class to take advantage of their relatives ?Sure they are aware going to hawker centre for Chi char also more than $100 nowadays, yet they kaka give $100. Suay to have such free loader relatives , still cannot get over this episode of my important day in life.

* Dinner menu included Sharksfin soup and Abalone too.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
The whole concept of chinese wedding in Sg is one cocked-up occasion; just register at ROM and get it over with.

Cheers!

Well said. Throw a most expensive party at the most expensive hotel restaurant for your "face" and expect your guests to pay for it? Good grief! I won't go. I'll just send my well wishes with a $20 red packet.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Face Off !

Cannot blame you and your family from being angry with this kind of low level relatives , got money yet take advantage of others . Although they probably know you are wealthy but they should not embarrass themselves especially holding high positions and must be rich too.

I've heard some strange stories about some weird churches which they actually had a billboard to rank who donated how much into the coffer. Maybe, you can have a facebook for glory and shame too. Nothing is invisible nowadays.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well said. Throw a most expensive party at the most expensive hotel restaurant for your "face" and expect your guests to pay for it? Good grief! I won't go. I'll just send my well wishes with a $20 red packet.

Oi ... Talk Cock King !!

$20 ??? May as well don't give !!!:mad::eek:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng knows some people actually go to wedding dinner eat free one -- no gib angpow just eat n go act blur one.

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these typical Chinese weddings are getting ridiculous day by day. I understand the tea ceremonies. But since when has it become a show-off event where the couple tries to hold a lavish ceremony in a lavish place just to flex their wealth and in the end, found out they cannot even pay one month of HDB loan.