• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ceca blues - stories of indians being laid and laid off in western cuntries

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm a laid-off copywriter from India who has spent 7 years in Amsterdam. If I can't find a new job soon I may have to leave the country.​

Business Insider
Aaron Mok
December 29, 2022

1672351349364.jpeg

Swati Thapar, a UX writer and marketing copywriter.Courtesy of Swati Thapar
  • Swati Thapar recently got laid off from her copywriter role at a marketing startup in Amsterdam.
  • Since her layoff, Thapar has been struggling to land a new writing job as an immigrant from India.
  • Here's how Thapar is navigating the challenges of employment uncertainty, as told to Insider's Aaron Mok.
This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Swati Thapar, a 33-year-old copywriter based in the city of Amsterdam in the Netherlands, about what its like to be laid off as an immigrant. It has been edited for length and clarity.

As an immigrant on a dependent visa, I can't overemphasize the importance of being employed.

Employment helps me pay the bills, gives me a sense of purpose and independence, and offers a way to make meaningful connections outside of my marriage in a new country.

But in May of 2022, I got laid off from my job as a copywriter at a marketing startup in the Netherlands. Since then, I've been applying for similar jobs in the tech sector for months with no success.

If I can't find a job soon, I may have to make the hard decision to leave the Netherlands — a country I have lived in for seven years — and move back to my home country.

It took me 3 years to land an English-writing job as an immigrant from India​

In 2016, I immigrated from Rajasthan, India, to the city of Amsterdam a year after my newly wedded husband moved there for a job.
Since the Netherlands is an up-and-coming hotspot for opportunities in tech, I was actively looking for a job as a copywriter in the industry. But after facing countless rejections, I learned that most companies only wanted to hire writers who are native English speakers from countries like Britain and Australia.
It didn't matter that I had English copywriting experience or that I've been speaking English since I was 3 years old. All I knew was that as an immigrant, I was perceived as ineligible for hire. It felt like I was living in a horror story.

At the same time, I wasn't able to talk to anybody or read the notices on my building wall written in Dutch. The language barriers made it hard to integrate and stay resilient in the country.
Three years of job hunting and freelance writing later, I finally got offered a job as a marketing copywriter at a startup. It was my first in-house role in the Netherlands.

After I got laid off, I haven't been able to secure another job​

But by the time the pandemic hit in early 2020, I knew the company wasn't doing well. I noticed that employees were leaving and the founder talked about getting a bank loan to pay employees. Still, I stayed at the company and went on maternity leave in October of 2021 after I got pregnant.

When I returned from leave in January of 2022, I was one of the two employees who remained at the once 25-person company. A few months later, I was let go with no severance.
Since then, I have applied to about 70 jobs. And I'm still applying.
I've talked to some recruiters on LinkedIn who have reached out with potential opportunities, but they haven't led to any offers. I paid for coursework, career coaching, and mentoring for additional guidance. I even started applying to office manager jobs as a fallback, as well as roles in user experience writing, a field I've been trying to break into.

The months-long job search has taken a toll on my mental health​

Losing my financial independence has taken a toll on my mental health. I fell into a post-partum depression when I returned from maternity leave, and it made dealing with my layoff worse. My confidence in myself as a professional also fell.

Added to the stress is knowing that I may now have to compete with highly-skilled tech workers who were laid off from big tech companies like Meta and Amazon.
There are definitely more jobs in the Netherlands now than there were back in 2016. But I still carry baggage from not being able to find a job for three years.

I'm not worried about finances at the moment, but the clock is ticking​

Even though my layoff has been tough, I recognize that I'm in a better situation than most laid-off immigrant tech workers. My husband is still employed, which means that I am not struggling financially at the moment. I'm also not worried about getting kicked out of the country since I am on a dependent visa and have lived in the Netherlands long enough to qualify for Dutch citizenship.

Still, expenses have doubled and our savings have taken a hit now that we bought a house, own a car, and started a family. I can't depend on my husband to be the only one making money for much longer.

I hope that I can land a job soon to give my child a good life​

Even though it's taken years to adjust to living in the Netherlands, I don't want to leave. I've learned how to speak Dutch, made friends, and started a family here. More importantly, I want to raise my child in the country.
But if I don't find a job soon, I won't be able to budget for his future over the next 15 to 20 years.
Despite the uncertainty, I've been trying my best to remain positive. I've been focusing on raising my son, reading a bunch, and networking — activities that have increased my confidence in my abilities.

I've also been building a personal brand on LinkedIn, where I recently shared my story and received an overwhelming amount of support from other laid off immigrants who are facing challenges similar, if not worse, than mine.
Otherwise, I'm just trying to be a little more upbeat and count my blessings knowing that my situation could be worse. Expressing gratitude for what I have achieved so far is what keeps me going.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wha...-copywriter-immigrant-job-uncertainty-2022-12

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

US tech layoffs: India workers face painful exit from the US​

November 22
BBC

1672359456028.jpeg

Layoffs across the tech industry, including at firms like Twitter, Meta and Amazon, have affected a significant number of Indians working in the US who are on visas like the H-1B. California-based journalist Savita Patel speaks to workers who are facing the prospect of being forced to return to India if they don't find another job.

Surbhi Gupta, an Indian engineer working in the US since 2009, was surprised that she was laid off by Meta this month. "I was performing well at work," she says. On 9 November, Meta, which owns Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, announced it would cut 13% of its workforce - the first mass lay-offs in the firm's history which resulted in 11,000 employees losing their jobs.
"None of us slept that night," Ms Gupta says. "At 6am, I got the email. I couldn't access my computer, nor the office gym. It felt like a break-up."

Ms Gupta is likely to be a familiar face for Indians. Winner of the 2018 Miss Bharat-California contest, she was featured most recently in the Netflix show Indian Matchmaking.

Now she is among thousands of educated and skilled immigrant workers fired by US tech companies this month.

Most of them work in the US because of the HI-B visa. It's a non-immigrant visa that allows firms to employ foreigners for up to six years in positions for which they have been unable to find American employees. It also allows holders to apply for permanent residency in the US and buy property in the country.

Ms Gupta says she worked very hard to build a life in the US for "over 15 years". Her visa now hinges on finding her next job. Worldwide, more than 120,000 tech workers have lost jobs as a result of cutbacks by US tech companies, according to the Layoffs.fyi website, which tracks tech job cuts.

While companies have not released India-specific numbers, San Jose-based immigration attorney Sweta Khandelwal says "it's hurt the Indian community particularly hard."

"We saw an uptick in calls for consultation," she says. "Everybody is anxious, even those who have not been laid off fear that they might be [fired] later."
For Indian tech workers, the layoffs do not just mean seeking new employment but also finding employers who are willing help them continue with their work and pay for the associated legal costs.
"If a new employer is unable to transfer your visa petition in 60 days, the remedy is for people to leave [the US] and re-enter for work after the paperwork is complete," Ms Khandelwal says.
"But the practical aspect is that people will get stuck in India as there are not many visa stamping appointments available in consulates," she says.
Wait times for a visa appointment at US consulates in India have reached 800 days in some cases.
This is why the layoffs have come as an unwelcome surprise for Indian workers.

Sowmya Iyer, a lead product designer at the ride-sharing app Lyft, says she was part of a team that "had internally taken steps to maintain the fiscal health of the company".
But Ms Iyer found herself among hundreds who were laid off at the company this month. "We had not expected it to hit us," she says.
The mass layoffs feel like a "tech pandemic," she explains. "Both my friend and his wife lost their jobs on the same day. Everyone is in the same boat - reaching out, exchanging condolences."

Ms Iyer says she has student loans to pay back and hasn't told her parents back home in the western Indian state of Gujarat about her layoff. In the US on an O-1 visa - granted to individuals with "extraordinary ability and achievement" - Ms Iyer says she is confident of finding work.

Her resume lists degrees from prestigious design schools in India and the US and the O-1 visa allows her to stay on for 60 days after the termination of any job.
America's WARN (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification) Act offers a buffer before the 60-day visa clock starts. WARN requires employers to give a 60-day notice to the affected employees during a mass layoff.
"To ensure my status here and help me find an employer, my former employers have given me a month's notice, so currently I have three months," she says. But for many Indians, even 90 days is a tight timeline and has upended plans they had. Many have families to support, others have thousands of dollars in loans to pay off.
Naman Kapoor had borrowed money to pay for his masters programme at New York University.
He was hired as an engineer by Meta after multiple rounds of interview only to be laid off seven weeks later. "I got the termination email at 8am [local time] on 9 November," he says. "The whole idea is that a US education includes work experience," he says. "It is very expensive to study in New York. I worked to support my living expenses." Mr Kapoor is in the US on an F-1 (OPT) visa which allows him only 90 days of unemployment during his stay in country. "Meta offered me four months of pay as severance," Mr Kapoor explains. "But I have just three months within which I must find my next job or go back!"

Finding a new job in this environment will be tough, Ms Gupta says. "It's almost December - hiring will be slow because of the holidays." In the wake of the layoffs, Ms Khandelwal says a community has formed to support people in crisis. Colleagues and employers have been spreading information and offering referrals for prospects online. "I created Zeno, [a platform] to help the impacted (workers) find jobs," says Abhishek Gutgutia, a tech worker based in the Bay Area. "It has seen 15,000 visits so far."
Mr Gutgutia says his LinkedIn post on Zeno has nearly 600,000 views. "About 100 candidates, 25 companies and 30 mentors have signed up. Several immigration attorneys have also volunteered [their services]."

Vidya Srinivasan, a Meta employee, says she saw a "heart-warming outpouring of support from Meta-mates" in her efforts to put together a "Meta Alumni guide" for those whose lives changed overnight. Her online posts were seen by over a million people, she says. Amid such hopes, Indian immigrant workers remain on tenterhooks until they land their next job. "I am tired of being tested," Ms Gupta says. "How much stronger should I be?".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63658535?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

November 22
BBC

View attachment 174122
Layoffs across the tech industry, including at firms like Twitter, Meta and Amazon, have affected a significant number of Indians working in the US who are on visas like the H-1B. California-based journalist Savita Patel speaks to workers who are facing the prospect of being forced to return to India if they don't find another job.

Surbhi Gupta, an Indian engineer working in the US since 2009, was surprised that she was laid off by Meta this month. "I was performing well at work," she says. On 9 November, Meta, which owns Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, announced it would cut 13% of its workforce - the first mass lay-offs in the firm's history which resulted in 11,000 employees losing their jobs.
"None of us slept that night," Ms Gupta says. "At 6am, I got the email. I couldn't access my computer, nor the office gym. It felt like a break-up."

Ms Gupta is likely to be a familiar face for Indians. Winner of the 2018 Miss Bharat-California contest, she was featured most recently in the Netflix show Indian Matchmaking.

Now she is among thousands of educated and skilled immigrant workers fired by US tech companies this month.

Most of them work in the US because of the HI-B visa. It's a non-immigrant visa that allows firms to employ foreigners for up to six years in positions for which they have been unable to find American employees. It also allows holders to apply for permanent residency in the US and buy property in the country.

Ms Gupta says she worked very hard to build a life in the US for "over 15 years". Her visa now hinges on finding her next job. Worldwide, more than 120,000 tech workers have lost jobs as a result of cutbacks by US tech companies, according to the Layoffs.fyi website, which tracks tech job cuts.

While companies have not released India-specific numbers, San Jose-based immigration attorney Sweta Khandelwal says "it's hurt the Indian community particularly hard."

"We saw an uptick in calls for consultation," she says. "Everybody is anxious, even those who have not been laid off fear that they might be [fired] later."
For Indian tech workers, the layoffs do not just mean seeking new employment but also finding employers who are willing help them continue with their work and pay for the associated legal costs.
"If a new employer is unable to transfer your visa petition in 60 days, the remedy is for people to leave [the US] and re-enter for work after the paperwork is complete," Ms Khandelwal says.
"But the practical aspect is that people will get stuck in India as there are not many visa stamping appointments available in consulates," she says.
Wait times for a visa appointment at US consulates in India have reached 800 days in some cases.

Sowmya Iyer, a lead product designer at the ride-sharing app Lyft, says she was part of a team that "had internally taken steps to maintain the fiscal health of the company".
But Ms Iyer found herself among hundreds who were laid off at the company this month. "We had not expected it to hit us," she says.
The mass layoffs feel like a "tech pandemic," she explains. "Both my friend and his wife lost their jobs on the same day. Everyone is in the same boat - reaching out, exchanging condolences."

Ms Iyer says she has student loans to pay back and hasn't told her parents back home in the western Indian state of Gujarat about her layoff. In the US on an O-1 visa - granted to individuals with "extraordinary ability and achievement" - Ms Iyer says she is confident of finding work.

Her resume lists degrees from prestigious design schools in India and the US and the O-1 visa allows her to stay on for 60 days after the termination of any job.
America's WARN (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification) Act offers a buffer before the 60-day visa clock starts. WARN requires employers to give a 60-day notice to the affected employees during a mass layoff.
"To ensure my status here and help me find an employer, my former employers have given me a month's notice, so currently I have three months," she says. But for many Indians, even 90 days is a tight timeline and has upended plans they had. Many have families to support, others have thousands of dollars in loans to pay off.
Naman Kapoor had borrowed money to pay for his masters programme at New York University.
He was hired as an engineer by Meta after multiple rounds of interview only to be laid off seven weeks later. "I got the termination email at 8am [local time] on 9 November," he says. "The whole idea is that a US education includes work experience," he says. "It is very expensive to study in New York. I worked to support my living expenses." Mr Kapoor is in the US on an F-1 (OPT) visa which allows him only 90 days of unemployment during his stay in country. "Meta offered me four months of pay as severance," Mr Kapoor explains. "But I have just three months within which I must find my next job or go back!"

Finding a new job in this environment will be tough, Ms Gupta says. "It's almost December - hiring will be slow because of the holidays." In the wake of the layoffs, Ms Khandelwal says a community has formed to support people in crisis. Colleagues and employers have been spreading information and offering referrals for prospects online. "I created Zeno, [a platform] to help the impacted (workers) find jobs," says Abhishek Gutgutia, a tech worker based in the Bay Area. "It has seen 15,000 visits so far."
Mr Gutgutia says his LinkedIn post on Zeno has nearly 600,000 views. "About 100 candidates, 25 companies and 30 mentors have signed up. Several immigration attorneys have also volunteered [their services]."

Vidya Srinivasan, a Meta employee, says she saw a "heart-warming outpouring of support from Meta-mates" in her efforts to put together a "Meta Alumni guide" for those whose lives changed overnight. Her online posts were seen by over a million people, she says. Amid such hopes, Indian immigrant workers remain on tenterhooks until they land their next job. "I am tired of being tested," Ms Gupta says. "How much stronger should I be?".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63658535?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
Are they going to blame Trump?

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does no one get the vibe that she is greedy, ungrateful for her situation where all her needs are met and deceitful for portraying she may have to leave, when she can get citizenship?

The typical CECAkroach.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm a laid-off copywriter from India who has spent 7 years in Amsterdam. If I can't find a new job soon I may have to leave the country.​

Business Insider
Aaron Mok
December 29, 2022

View attachment 174121
  • Swati Thapar recently got laid off from her copywriter role at a marketing startup in Amsterdam.
  • Since her layoff, Thapar has been struggling to land a new writing job as an immigrant from India.
  • Here's how Thapar is navigating the challenges of employment uncertainty, as told to Insider's Aaron Mok.
This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Swati Thapar, a 33-year-old copywriter based in the city of Amsterdam in the Netherlands, about what its like to be laid off as an immigrant. It has been edited for length and clarity.

As an immigrant on a dependent visa, I can't overemphasize the importance of being employed.

Employment helps me pay the bills, gives me a sense of purpose and independence, and offers a way to make meaningful connections outside of my marriage in a new country.

But in May of 2022, I got laid off from my job as a copywriter at a marketing startup in the Netherlands. Since then, I've been applying for similar jobs in the tech sector for months with no success.

If I can't find a job soon, I may have to make the hard decision to leave the Netherlands — a country I have lived in for seven years — and move back to my home country.

In 2016, I immigrated from Rajasthan, India, to the city of Amsterdam a year after my newly wedded husband moved there for a job.
Since the Netherlands is an up-and-coming hotspot for opportunities in tech, I was actively looking for a job as a copywriter in the industry. But after facing countless rejections, I learned that most companies only wanted to hire writers who are native English speakers from countries like Britain and Australia.
It didn't matter that I had English copywriting experience or that I've been speaking English since I was 3 years old. All I knew was that as an immigrant, I was perceived as ineligible for hire. It felt like I was living in a horror story.

At the same time, I wasn't able to talk to anybody or read the notices on my building wall written in Dutch. The language barriers made it hard to integrate and stay resilient in the country.
Three years of job hunting and freelance writing later, I finally got offered a job as a marketing copywriter at a startup. It was my first in-house role in the Netherlands.

But by the time the pandemic hit in early 2020, I knew the company wasn't doing well. I noticed that employees were leaving and the founder talked about getting a bank loan to pay employees. Still, I stayed at the company and went on maternity leave in October of 2021 after I got pregnant.

When I returned from leave in January of 2022, I was one of the two employees who remained at the once 25-person company. A few months later, I was let go with no severance.
I've talked to some recruiters on LinkedIn who have reached out with potential opportunities, but they haven't led to any offers. I paid for coursework, career coaching, and mentoring for additional guidance. I even started applying to office manager jobs as a fallback, as well as roles in user experience writing, a field I've been trying to break into.

Losing my financial independence has taken a toll on my mental health. I fell into a post-partum depression when I returned from maternity leave, and it made dealing with my layoff worse. My confidence in myself as a professional also fell.

Added to the stress is knowing that I may now have to compete with highly-skilled tech workers who were laid off from big tech companies like Meta and Amazon.
There are definitely more jobs in the Netherlands now than there were back in 2016. But I still carry baggage from not being able to find a job for three years.

Even though my layoff has been tough, I recognize that I'm in a better situation than most laid-off immigrant tech workers. My husband is still employed, which means that I am not struggling financially at the moment. I'm also not worried about getting kicked out of the country since I am on a dependent visa and have lived in the Netherlands long enough to qualify for Dutch citizenship.

Still, expenses have doubled and our savings have taken a hit now that we bought a house, own a car, and started a family. I can't depend on my husband to be the only one making money for much longer.

Even though it's taken years to adjust to living in the Netherlands, I don't want to leave. I've learned how to speak Dutch, made friends, and started a family here. More importantly, I want to raise my child in the country.
But if I don't find a job soon, I won't be able to budget for his future over the next 15 to 20 years.
Despite the uncertainty, I've been trying my best to remain positive. I've been focusing on raising my son, reading a bunch, and networking — activities that have increased my confidence in my abilities.

I've also been building a personal brand on LinkedIn, where I recently shared my story and received an overwhelming amount of support from other laid off immigrants who are facing challenges similar, if not worse, than mine.
Otherwise, I'm just trying to be a little more upbeat and count my blessings knowing that my situation could be worse. Expressing gratitude for what I have achieved so far is what keeps me going.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wha...-copywriter-immigrant-job-uncertainty-2022-12
She has been in Horlan for 3 years n never went to learn Dutch?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

November 22
BBC

View attachment 174122

"Working in US since 2009" and "worked hard to build a life in the US for over 15 years" in a 2012 article. Even the reporter is skeptical whether there may be a bit more of that signature ceca exaggeration else where in the story. :o-o:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back in yr 2000, local uni qualified MSCSE IT techicans were laid off by companies to be replaced by fake degree bastard Indians.
$300k Redundancy package deal for the local IT technician to fire them to replace fake Degree ahnehs....

The table has turn now, get rid of ahnehs with no Redundancy package deal, 直杀.

Fuck back to India and become evil India Empire IT scammers on the www ....

你拜初一 我拜十五....

Last edited:

Eisenhut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why Modi doing nothing ? Why motherland did not employ them? Or they don't wish to go back motherland smelly hole?

Eisenhut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does no one get the vibe that she is greedy, ungrateful for her situation where all her needs are met and deceitful for portraying she may have to leave, when she can get citizenship?

The typical CECAkroach.

15 yrs and she did not get citizenship? Tell u she is free rider playing both sides or she not good enough for citizenship

birdie69

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm a laid-off copywriter from India who has spent 7 years in Amsterdam. If I can't find a new job soon I may have to leave the country.
Business Insider

Aaron Mok

December 29, 2022

Swati Thapar recently got laid off from her copywriter role at a marketing startup in Amsterdam.
Since her layoff, Thapar has been struggling to land a new writing job as an immigrant from India.
Here's how Thapar is navigating the challenges of employment uncertainty, as told to Insider's Aaron Mok.

It took me 3 years to land an English-writing job as an immigrant from India

After I got laid off, I haven't been able to secure another job

The months-long job search has taken a toll on my mental health

I'm not worried about finances at the moment, but the clock is ticking

I hope that I can land a job soon to give my child a good life

https://www.businessinsider.com/wha...ff-copywriter-immigrant-job-uncertainty-2022-

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal

Business Insider
Aaron Mok
December 29, 2022

View attachment 174121

Do you know that we hire a lot of CECA in govtech, local banks and other stat boards? So much so that our local Indians feel discriminated because CECA looks down on them.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know that we hire a lot of CECA in govtech, local banks and other stat boards? So much so that our local Indians feel discriminated because CECA looks down on them.
Foreigners working in the gahmen....isn't that a security issue?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Biden is doing better than expected with expelling these H1B visa grifters.

No worries, Lee Hsien Loong will welcome them with open arms and open legs.