• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cat killer on loose

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wed, Feb 04, 2009
The New Paper
Cat killer of Seletar packs and buries them along road
By Teh Jen Lee

THEY looked like ordinary trash bags lying along Seletar Road, waiting to be picked up by the waste collection truck.

But they contained the bodies of cats, carefully sealed in plastic containers or bags.

It is understood that there could be up to 45 cat carcasses in the bags.

They were dug up by the police, after getting a call.

It's not known who killed the cats. Or why. Or how.

But it appears to have been the worst mass killing of cats that Singapore has seen (see report on facing page).

There are few clues, and it is not even clear yet exactly when the cats died.

It is illegal for anyone but trained veterinarians to put down any animal in Singapore.

The New Paper was tipped off by the Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) about the grisly finds.

SPCA understands that a woman caller, believed to be a resident of Seletar estate, had alerted the police to the stench.

SPCA took some of the dead cats to the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) Animal & Plant Health Laboratory to see if a post-mortem can be carried out.

Three of them, said executive officer Deirdre Moss, 'were in a white plastic box securely taped on all sides'.

She said: 'The SPCA is urgently appealing for witnesses to come forward, who may have seen any persons burying the bags in the different locations along Seletar Road.'

Following the examination of the three bodies, the SPCA veterinary report found that the cats were likely to have been dead for at least a week.

Further investigation would be necessary by way of a post-mortem to establish the cause of death.

The police informed SPCA around 8.20pm on Thursday night that '45 dead cats had been buried in the vicinity of 1 Stratton Place, along Seletar Road, within Seletar estate'.

Holes in the ground
MYSTERY 1
Who called and left
details about dead cats?

MYSTERY 2
Why bury them in a row
along a road within sight
of others? Killer ignored dump
at construction site nearby.

MYSTERY 3
Why were so many bags used
to wrap dead cats?

MYSTERY 4
Where did all the dead cats
come from?

When The New Paper went to Seletar Road on Friday morning to investigate, we found 13 bags lying along the road. They were in three separate locations within a distance of 500m.

This was after the SPCA had removed some of the carcasses.

Near the bags were holes that had been recently dug up, measuring about 30cm deep.

Someone had taken the trouble to bury the cats. But why? And how did the animals die? Was it painfully?

Ms Moss said: 'The cats have been dead for a number of days and this may hamper establishing the cause of death for these animals.'

The stench of the decomposing bodies was overpowering.

With plastic bags acting as gloves, The New Paper team opened up one of the black plastic bags found at the end of Seletar Road, near a construction site.

We found a dog-food plastic bag inside, that had been taped securely. When we opened that bag, we found another layer of red plastic.

But at the bottom of the bag we opened, we could see some dark brown liquid that had possibly seeped out from the decomposing body.

By then, the smell had become unbearable and we decided to stop because if the liquid spilled out, the stench would have affected the surrounding residential area.

A Bangladeshi construction worker who declined to be named said the police were there at 9am on Friday, but he didn't know what they were looking for.

'I didn't hear anything about dead cats,' he said.

Said a 36-year-old Sri Lankan domestic helper living across from where the bags were found, who gave her name only as Mala: 'It was very smelly this morning. While I was watering the plants around 7am, I could smell something but I didn't know what it was.

'I've never seen people keep cats around here.'

Her employer, Mr Kish Ranai, 50, told The New Paper that his neighbours had called the police because they had noticed the foul smell.

'The first time I smelled it was yesterday evening when the police were around and they were digging up the bags. I didn't know that they contained cat carcasses,' he said.

'I've been a resident here for more than 15 years and it's the first time something like this has happened. It's cruel. Those culprits must be dealt with.'

He wondered aloud why the cats were not sent to SPCA to be put down humanely.

The New Paper's efforts to speak to the neighbour who called the police were unsuccessful.

Mr Justin Chiam, 20, a jogger who happened to be passing by, noticed the strong stench.

'It's my first time jogging here and I noticed the smell immediately. This is animal cruelty,' he said.

A spokesman for AVA said they received a total of 10 cat carcasses submitted by SPCA on Friday.

Preliminary examination indicated that all 10 carcasses were in a highly decomposed state. Post-mortem examination is still ongoing.

AVA will investigate all reports of animal cruelty.

For an investigation to be meaningful and productive, the report should be accompanied by sufficient evidence that an act of animal cruelty has been committed and information that could lead to the identity of the perpetrator, said AVA.

Witnesses willing to testify in court against the perpetrator will help in the prosecution.

Anyone found guilty of animal cruelty can be fined up to $10,000 or jailed 12 months or both.

Members of the public can contact the SPCA at 62875355 extension 9.

Ms Moss said: 'We're desperately hoping that someone will come forward and shed some light on this horrific find.

driedmermaid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Give the killer a beer! Welcome to deal with all the cats in my estate!

Irresponsible govt allows cats to be fed like opened farming in any where especially residential HDB estates. Stupid bastards will feed them and breed them not within their own home, and cats are everywhere, leaving nasty problems to residents.

PAP govt has double standards, they will put down dogs and require license and fees and fine the dog owners. But cats they purposely treated in different way. They fear to anger the Malays.

So call cat killers are doing excellent job for the community, they are great heros and pest removers. They are because the PAP govt never do their jobs again!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Irresponsible govt allows cats to be fed like opened farming in any where especially residential HDB estates. Stupid bastards will feed them and breed them not within their own home, and cats are everywhere, leaving nasty problems to residents.

PAP govt has double standards, they will put down dogs and require license and fees and fine the dog owners. But cats they purposely treated in different way. They fear to anger the Malays.

So call cat killers are doing excellent job for the community, they are great heros and pest removers. They are because the PAP govt never do their jobs again!

Why do malays like cats???

I know they cannot touch dogs' saliva but i dun understand the fascination with cats.

Is it like sort of a substitute? Like since they are forbidden to own dogs so they have a smaller choice to own pets so they choose cats???

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,191784,00.html?

SELETAR'S SERIAL CAT KILLER
So smelly, but carcasses cleared only after 3 days
Residents raise a stink over decaying bodies left out in the open
By Teh Jen Lee

February 05, 2009

NP_IMAGES_JLCAT04.jpg

The New Paper, 2 Feb.

THERE were more than a dozen bags containing as many as 45 cat carcasses in Seletar Estate, and they all stank.

They were dug up from a makeshift mass gravesite last Thursday but were cleared away only on Sunday night.

Why did it take so long, residents asked.

The New Paper carried a report on Monday about the discovery of the makeshift graves along Seletar Road.

Police unearthed the shallow graves last Thursday after they were alerted by a caller who is believed to be a resident of the area. But the bags were then left by the roadside for a few days.

Mr Kish Ranai, 50, who has been living in Seletar Estate for about 20 years, said: 'My neighbour had called the police about the stench on Thursday. When I spoke to the police that night, they said it would be cleared within 24 hours.'

In the end, the bags, which were on the side of the road right by his garden, were cleared only three days later, on Sunday night between 6pm and 10pm, he said.

On Monday night, The New Paper found four more bags along Seletar Road towards Stratton Place, where Mr Kish lives.

We alerted the police and the carcasses were cleared early the next morning.

But residents were unhappy that it took so long for the bags of carcasses to be removed.

Madam Peggy Khoo, 43, an IT manager, said: 'The bodies should not be left by the roadside to decompose. It is a public health issue and they should be properly buried or cremated in some decent place.'

Another resident, a manager in his 40s who identified himself only as Mr Lau, also said the carcasses should have been removed earlier.

He said: 'It should be removed because it's smelly.'

Mr Kish said he had called the waste-removal company to take away the bags.

'Since AVA (the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority) takes care of live animals, I thought it should be NEA (National Environment Agency) which takes care of dead animals,' he said. 'So I did ring up the rubbish guys, the waste collectors.

'But I think the police need to take primary responsibility because it was they who dug up the bags and also, the report was made to them.

'Even if they have to call someone else to clear the bags, they should come back to check that it's done and not leave it to residents to complain again.'

But Mr Lau added: 'To be fair to them, it could be due to the fact that these agencies, namely the police, NEA, AVA and SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), are overstretched and have to juggle many priorities.'

In response, a police spokesman said that, after completing on-scene investigations on Thursday, they had informed the NEA to dispose of the carcasses.

The police are working with AVA on the case.

An NEA spokesman said its cleaning contractor is supposed to react promptly (usually within one to two hours) when notified of the locations.

The spokesman said it had alerted its contractor on Thursday, but the contractor said his workers did not find anything at the locations given as the carcasses were buried and out of sight.

As such, it was only on Sunday that the bags were removed as soon as the contractor was alerted again. He also quickly cleared the other four bags that The New Paper spotted on Monday.

Curiosity

Meanwhile, TNP's report has roused curiosity about the identity of the culprit behind the dead cats.

Said undergrad Duncan Yip, 24: 'I was sad to hear the news. I'm a pet lover, I have two dogs. I hope the person or persons who did this can be brought to justice.'

Some residents also wondered why the culprit chose such a busy road to hide the bodies.

Madam Warni Pontoirono, 48, a domestic helper who was walking her employer's dog, said: 'Every night, when I take this path, Toby the dog will want to go to the nearby grass patch to smell and dig up what's underneath.

'I did see the black plastic bags sticking out of the ground since some time last week. I thought something was buried for Chinese New Year. I never thought it was dead cats.'

The SPCA, which had removed some of the bags unearthed, has sent the cat carcasses to the AVA after it was informed by the police about the case.

The AVA told The New Paper that a post-mortem was still ongoing and may take longer than usual as the remains are badly decomposed.

The discovery of so many dead cats may mean it is the worst case of mass killing of cats in Singapore. It is illegal for anyone but trained veterinarians to put down an animal.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,191785,00.html?

We won't tackle case yet: society
February 05, 2009

THEY had considered distributing pamphlets and even going door to door to look for witnesses.

But the Cat Welfare Society eventually decided to let the police handle the matter first.

Said honorary secretary Salina Jefrydeen, 35: 'We have been in touch with SPCA and informed by them that the police are investigating the case.

'Police will speak to residents of the estate as this is a big investigation. Meanwhile, we will await the outcome of the autopsy, to determine whether the cats died naturally or from cruelty.'

Even before this case, a worrying trend has been noted by caregivers of stray cats like herself.

She said: 'We see a cycle of abuse. For example, we see teenagers kicking cats. Even though it's a small thing, when it starts young, it's scary because there is potential that the abusive behaviour could get worse.'

What about offering a cash incentive for information like it did when seven cats were found dead in Pasir Ris?

'We're not too sure yet because we haven't had a chance to discuss within ourselves and with the other animal welfare groups,' said Miss Salina.

A Seletar estate resident said that those who are concerned will give information about animal cruelty even without the incentive.

'I don't think the incentive will do much,' said the man who declined to give his name. He has been living in Seletar for two years and was surprised to hear about the case.

He added: 'The place where some of the cats were found is actually a construction site. Maybe the workers there will know something because maybe the culprit dug holes there in the middle of the night.'

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are an ass. The cats are cute and innocent. :(:(:(

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
She said: 'We see a cycle of abuse. For example, we see teenagers kicking cats. Even though it's a small thing, when it starts young, it's scary because there is potential that the abusive behaviour could get worse.'

this are the wrong values we have been teaching our young nowadays?

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal

You may feel that the cat is a cute animal until 1 day you wake up and go to your garden and step into cat shit and see your flower bed has been truned into a war zone by your neighbour's horny cat and a stray. After that you come tell me they are cute :smile:

Alfrescian
Loyal

In my life I have seen two women who were cat phobia. The women will scream loud and even stand on the chair. Like as those they had seen a snake.
And I know one friend who used spear gun to shoot cats some twenty years ago.

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my life I have seen two women who were cat phobia. The women will scream loud and even stand on the chair. Like as those they had seen a snake.
And I know one friend who used spear gun to shoot cats some twenty years ago.

OMG! That's so bad. What's a spear gun?

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may feel that the cat is a cute animal until 1 day you wake up and go to your garden and step into cat shit and see your flower bed has been truned into a war zone by your neighbour's horny cat and a stray. After that you come tell me they are cute :smile:

Shouldn't we have compassion for them? Anyway, I don't think cats poo before or after they erm, you know... :p:p:p

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,191897,00.html?

LATEST: What killed cats found buried at Seletar? Autopsy result is inconclusive.
But could they have died from...
A cat version of Aids?
By Teh Jen Lee

February 06, 2009

NP_IMAGES_JLCAT05-49K.jpg

CAT HOUSE: This residence near the burial site has at least 30 cats. TNP PICTURES: KELVIN CHNG

THE autopsy on the cats found buried in Seletar Estate has shed no light on how they died.

The Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) had sent 10 carcasses to the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority's (AVA) plant and animal health lab last Friday.

These were part of the 45 that were found buried in various holes along Seletar Road.

The SPCA was told that the carcasses were too decomposed for the lab to run toxicology tests to establish if the cats were poisoned.

On Tuesday, the final post-mortem report was released by AVA to say that the cause of death is inconclusive.

When contacted about the post-mortem, the police said investigations will still go on.

However, a veterinary surgeon told The New Paper that there are many feline viral diseases that can suddenly kill large numbers of cats.

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_JLCAT05-XJO.jpg

PET OWNER: Madam Moonesingha and her cat.

The most common is cat viral flu. Another illness that reduces a cat's immunity, although not as common, is feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), the cat version of the Aids virus.

While cats can be vaccinated against viral flu and feline panleucopenia, there is no vaccine against FIV.

'It is spread among cats only through cat bites, when an infected cat bites deep into one who does not have it and the saliva goes into a moving blood supply,' said the vet, who has been practising for over 20 years.

A blood test can determine whether a cat has FIV.

However their immune system will be low, so healing takes longer.

Cats with FIV will have to be given good food to keep their low immune system working as well as possible.

They also need to be kept away from sick cats, as it takes the FIV-positive cat much longer to get rid of cat colds and other illnesses.

Cat flu

The vet, who did not want to be named, also said that for the stray population, the most obvious disease is cat flu. The symptoms are runny nose, fever, and loss of appetite.

It is not usually fatal in previously healthy adult cats, but it can be fatal in kittens and older cats whose immune system is compromised.

It spreads from cat to cat contact and with contact from the discharge from the nose and eyes.

It can also spread from the cat sneezing much the same way a cold is spread in humans. Cat flu cannot be spread to humans.

Another common illness is feline panleucopenia, commonly known as feline distemper. It is primarily spread through contact with an infected cat's body fluids, faeces, or fleas.

Sometimes it is spread through contact with bedding, food dishes, or even by handlers of infected cats.

The virus primarily attacks the lining of the gastrointestinal tract, causing internal ulcers.

This results in profuse and usually bloody diarrhoea, severe dehydration, malnutrition, anaemia, and often death. The mortality rate is 60 to 90 per cent.

The virus causes a decrease in the cat's white blood cells, thus compromising its immune system.

Mass burial

The mass burial of cats has caused quite a stir. There are a couple of houses near the burial sites that keep cats. One house has at least 30 cats.

The resident did not want to be interviewed, saying in Mandarin that she has already spoken to the police.

Another resident, Madam Christine Moonesingha, 68, a retiree, has been keeping a cat for the past 17 years.

She said: 'I'm not alone in my love of cats. There is a mother and daughter who walk around here every morning at 6.30am to feed stray cats.'

The residents are also concerned that they may have been exposed to something hazardous because the carcasses had been rotting along a frequently used path.

Three days to remove carcasses

The New Paper had reported that it took three days for the bags containing the carcasses to be collected by the waste collectors.

One resident, who was passing by the bodies on Monday night, said: 'The bodies of the cats should have been handled as seriously as they handle the chickens when they are culled to prevent bird flu from spreading.

'Forty-five decomposing bodies is a lot. Imagine all the germs spreading in the air.'

Meanwhile, SPCA executive officer Deirdre Moss said she was disappointed that the cause of death can't be established.

She said: 'Now more than ever we are dependent on people coming forward who may have concrete clues on how the cats died and who buried them there.

'If you saw something, please come forward.'

Those with information can call SPCA at 6287 5355 extension 9.