• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Casket Services in Singapore

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
A serious question, what is the SOP if one finds a relative who has passed on:confused:
Do you have to call the police, ambulance or a company like Spore casket:confused:
Many don't want to think about a death in the family & never plan for it. However it's inevitable & we will eventually have to make arrangements for the sad day:(

If it's a natural death and you decide to call Spore casket, by all means, but please pay for the funeral :smile:
If U dun want to have anything to do with it then please call the police.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It no longer cheap anymore. In fact, many say it is the most expensive in the country.

Singapore Casket was founded by John Hochstadt, a Eurasian of German heritage. His son was Herman Hochstadt, one of the pioneer batch of solid perm sec that help SIngapore. He worked for old Hon Sui Sen, GKS and help start NOL. The staff including the morticians were Eurasians. They brought dignity to a solemn service and were known to charge a reasonable fee. This was the founder believe to serve society and his son and daughter were both civil servants. JH stayed in an old bungalow in Katong until his death. Just before his death the company was sold.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, the state will take care of everything but most likely will be donated as a cadaver to the Medical Faculty. You can also opt to donate yr body as a cadaver anytime before you die. This way, no funeral needed.

thanks for your sensible reply

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can also opt to donate yr body as a cadaver anytime before you die. This way, no funeral needed.

my pathologist friend at SGH comprain not enuff body to cut

I hope soon they will have Kinana for their practice

M

Mdm Tang

About 5-6 years ago, the late Stephen Koh jioed me to start a casket service. I turned him down. Was a great biz proposal coz it's recession proof but not my cup of tea. How to face dead bodies everyday?

5 SMU students write book on aspirations of Singaporeans
By S Ramesh | Posted: 28 August 2012 1549 hrs
Photos 1*of 1

Singapore Management University.

inShare

SINGAPORE: What are some of the things Singaporeans would want to do or achieve before they "kick the bucket"?

A group of five students from the Singapore Management University achieved one of the items on their own bucket lists by writing a book on the aspirations of Singaporeans.

And funding was not a problem as they could tap on the Central Singapore CDC's Mayor's Imagine Fund.

Launching the book on Tuesday, Singapore's Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Finance Tharman Shanmugaratnam urged young Singaporeans to pursue what they enjoyed doing most.

"One of the very simple observations I have is that how people do in life doesn't always depend on how well they do in school. I can think of many individuals who did exceptionally well academically. Some did well in life, some didn't," he said.

"I can think of those who were always at the bottom of the class, some who repeated a year -- I had a very close friend who repeated two years -- and went down different paths and some have done extremely well in life."

"And when I think back to whether there was any common trait in those who somehow had managed to do well in life in different areas, I can't help thinking that those who did well in life were also those who enjoyed their youth, had a fun time and who continue to enjoy whatever they were doing," Mr Tharman added.

"That was ultimately more important than succeeding on someone else's metric, succeeding based on what others define as success.

"But when you do something that you love and enjoy, success tends to come with it. Success tends to come with doing what we enjoy, I believe in that."

- CNA/wm

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Cheapest is the Muslim funeral. No fuss ending. Just wrap in cloth, pray, buried and then done.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cheapest is the Muslim funeral. No fuss ending. Just wrap in cloth, pray, buried and then done.

bury need land.........sinkieland the land so expensive.....even the tradition is bury upright save space but bottomline is still need land.....btw is wrap in straw mat not cloth

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it's a natural death and you decide to call Spore casket, by all means, but please pay for the funeral :smile:
If U dun want to have anything to do with it then please call the police.

If everyone goes around treating death as a DIY activity then what will the police do :confused:
If one lives on landed property, can even take it one step further & bury the body in the backyard as it would be cheaper:biggrin:

Even if I think I'm qualified to determine what is a natural death, somehow I don't think the authorities would accept the word of a layperson.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think you got your info wrong. The body has to face the direction of kiblah/Kaaba and it is wrapped in white cloth. When was it ever in straw mat?

bury need land.........sinkieland the land so expensive.....even the tradition is bury upright save space but bottomline is still need land.....btw is wrap in straw mat not cloth

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you can bury your pet dog and cats in the garden if you stay landed but burying a dead body is illegal.

With the police too busy elsewhere I doubt anyone would notice if a body or two is buried in the backyard:biggrin:

Just think of the $$$ saved. If it is a private property the departed get to stay for 999 years. I think currently only the President & LKY will get a plot to rest in because there are no more cemetries :rolleyes:

M

Mdm Tang

With the police too busy elsewhere I doubt anyone would notice if a body or two is buried in the backyard:biggrin:

Just think of the $$$ saved. If it is a private property the departed get to stay for 999 years. I think currently only the President & LKY will get a plot to rest in because there are no more cemetries :rolleyes:

not surprising if the deceased has purchased many Insurane Annuities ...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think you got your info wrong. The body has to face the direction of kiblah/Kaaba and it is wrapped in white cloth. When was it ever in straw mat?
yes you are right, me bad. could have confused with some non muslim burial that i witnessed.