• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Car Ownership for Singaporean Only

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes traffic already sucks....

Ban all heavy vehicles and goods from expressways and restrict their timing on the road.
Increase all taxes of motorbikes to discourage motorbikes ownership. Ban from expressways as well.
Impose minimum price of a car to be at least 150k per unit to discourage those going for cheaper cars.
Make all buses to be double deckers so less on the road.
Road pricing to be more extensive.....install taxi meter like device in cars to calculate exact distance travelled to be charged.

Ban heavy vehicle on traffic on certain hour. Construction die.... HDB will need 5 year to built.
Best is increase all vehicle speed limit by 10km/hr for all road. Expressway to 100km/hour.
Then all expressway 1st and 2nd fast lane no heavy vehicle/G plate is allow if caught 12 demerit point and fine max $300.
All expressway min speed 90km/hr not like some place 70km/hr(LTA put camera make driver pressure) many jam brake to reduce speed from 90km/h to less than 70km/h cause more accident.

LonelyTREE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best is increase all vehicle speed limit by 10km/hr for all road. Expressway to 100km/hour.
Then all expressway 1st and 2nd fast lane no heavy vehicle/G plate is allow if caught 12 demerit point and fine max $300.

This is a good suggestion. But as usual, LTA will be too scared to change any of this in case it gets blamed. The kiasi mentality.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ban heavy vehicle on traffic on certain hour. Construction die.... HDB will need 5 year to built.
All expressway min speed 90km/hr not like some place 70km/hr(LTA put camera make driver pressure) many jam brake to reduce speed from 90km/h to less than 70km/h cause more accident.

i remember those lorry cannot go on express way during my police days. but now i keep seeing thing zoom in and out of traffic at express way. did they change the law?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A more reasonable solution would be to slap another, hefty, tax on those households that have 2 or more cars.

You just jealous people can own 2 car or more. If you work hard can even own few car.

Although I like the idea of taxing the rich, but please don't be a moron cos if i have more cars, I can have even more houses.

Agree. Simple terrace house can buy min 10 car.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is an opportunistic gahmen, they behave like sharks!
immediately after last years erection they knows there's
4.5 yrs to go what they do? this gahmen ripped your pocket
COE NO TRANSPARENCY it's up to them to command whatever amount
they like!! A bloody civic or altis only cost $15K by the time you drive on the
road its'more than $100K!!

Where on earth you'll find such ridiculous car prices? only in Papaya run Sickapoor!
ERP = there are at least 72 ERP gantry ripping your cash card (money) every day!!

I loved to work for LTA, years end sure got 6 months BONUS!!!plus other incentives
money just pour in from every road direction!!!

Congestion increase ERP this is a NO BRAINER'S JOB!! it doesn't solved the problem!

No enough with ERP this money minded gahmen is now procuring for GPS billing system for
motorists, so voters u know what u r in for ?? they ripped u again & again!!

Come 2016 if u dont kick this money minded gahmen u will be SUCKED dry!

Last edited:

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
You just jealous people can own 2 car or more. If you work hard can even own few car.

Agree. Simple terrace house can buy min 10 car.

But I do like the idea that if you have 2 cars registered to your name, you pay double the coe and road tax and erp.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eventually ownership of big ticket items like cars and property will be based on a hefty tax on any number beyond 1. It will be moving in that direction. Some time back I discussed this with some well-to-do friends in certain circles. They have no objection in paying, for example, an extra $30k for a 2nd car and $50k for a 3rd car over and above the COE. They said that this would clearly cut out all those "marginal" people who actually cannot afford cars and simply have to take out large car loans just to create an impression of being wealthy. Yes, very sinkie indeed! You see, if you are actually wealthy you pay cash upfront; you don't rely on loans to act out a pretense.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eventually ownership of big ticket items like cars and property will be based on a hefty tax on any number beyond 1. It will be moving in that direction. You see, if you are actually wealthy you pay cash upfront; you don't rely on loans to act out a pretense.

Doubt that will happen anytime soon. In the first place, the garment allows people to have zero deposit and simply drive off a brand new car. They can always implement a policy whereby if you wanna buy a car, u must put down an initial deposit of 50%. That will kill off a lot of potential car buyers.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doubt that will happen anytime soon. In the first place, the garment allows people to have zero deposit and simply drive off a brand new car. They can always implement a policy whereby if you wanna buy a car, u must put down an initial deposit of 50%. That will kill off a lot of potential car buyers.

then they won't have COE to collect and they know it too.
Sure it will drive car prices down. I like the idea but singkies will scream and govt lose votes.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

The idea is not to deter buyers, or a household, of just one car. The idea is to make those who wish to add to their convenience, thereby adding to other people's inconvenience of more congested roads, to pay an extra tax for a 2nd or 3rd car. This is in keeping with the principle that it you want greater comfort and convenience then you pay for it. In the same way that in most condos, households with a 2nd car start to pay a monthly rental for the parking space for that 2nd car. The rental rate goes up for a 3rd car.

This may seem radical now, but then when COEs were introduced in 1990 it too was a radical step.

Similarly, some years ago LKY floated the idea of limiting ownership of bungalows in S'pore,whereby anyone person could not own a certain number. That it has not been implemented now does not mean it will never be implemented. It's all a question of timing.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Similarly, some years ago LKY floated the idea of limiting ownership of bungalows in S'pore,whereby anyone person could not own a certain number. That it has not been implemented now does not mean it will never be implemented. It's all a question of timing.

Why would LKY want to 'penalise' his own family and those of his close friends and cronies?

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eventually ownership of big ticket items like cars and property will be based on a hefty tax on any number beyond 1. It will be moving in that direction. Some time back I discussed this with some well-to-do friends in certain circles. They have no objection in paying, for example, an extra $30k for a 2nd car and $50k for a 3rd car over and above the COE. They said that this would clearly cut out all those "marginal" people who actually cannot afford cars and simply have to take out large car loans just to create an impression of being wealthy. Yes, very sinkie indeed! You see, if you are actually wealthy you pay cash upfront; you don't rely on loans to act out a pretense.

your friends are not well to do. 2nd and 3rd cars will be priced at 100k and 200k above 1st car. not 30k and 50k peanuts that most of us can afford.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The idea is not to deter buyers, or a household, of just one car. The idea is to make those who wish to add to their convenience, thereby adding to other people's inconvenience of more congested roads, to pay an extra tax for a 2nd or 3rd car.

Proposing harebrained schemes like these simply shows how dumb you are. If I was living in a household which already had one car, I'd simply register the car to some other address. In fact, I'd set up a website to facilitate the process and make some money too.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Proposing harebrained schemes like these simply shows how dumb you are. If I was living in a household which already had one car, I'd simply register the car to some other address. In fact, I'd set up a website to facilitate the process and make some money too.

People will always find ways to cheat the law. For example, those who have been slapped with disqualification from driving due to traffic offences have been known to still drive under disqualification. When you are disqualified, a police officer is not assigned to you constantly to ensure that you abide by the disqualification. Disqualified drivers are only found out still driving when they get embroiled in other traffic offences. Similarly, people are expected to abide by any new law. Those who don't and are unlucky to be found out would simply be made an example of. Rich people have more to lose in breaking the law than just money. The loss of face, status and reputation are more valuable to them than cash. Only those who are not rich and have no status to lose would not understand this. Is it fair to say that the majority of them frequent this portal?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Similarly, people are expected to abide by any new law.

This scenario is entirely different. If someone is disqualified, it's cut and dry. If you drive, you're in big trouble.

However, when it comes to car registration, there would first have to be a law passed that states that a car must be registered to the person who drives it. Until such a law is passed, the scheme is dead in the water and we all know that such a law would be downright ridiculous and would never come to pass.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
A more reasonable solution would be to slap another, hefty, tax on those households that have 2 or more cars.

Looks like my suggestion has gained currency. :biggrin:

Surcharge for second car owners being considered
By Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid
POSTED: 16 May 2013 10:34 AM, CNA

SINGAPORE: Those who wish to buy more than one car in Singapore may need to fork out more cash on top of their Certificate of Entitlement (COE) in future.

The government is considering imposing a surcharge for the second car onwards - owned by the same person.

The move aims to better spread car ownership more evenly, given the limited COE supply.

If implemented, the surcharge will not apply to existing multiple car owners.

Buyers of mass-market cars who are currently competing for COEs in Category A with buyers of luxury cars may also see some relief.

The government is looking at factoring engine power as a way to better delineate Category A from Category B to improve the COE system.

In 2012, models that are commonly viewed as higher end options such as Mercedes Benz, Audi and BMW, made up more than one-third of category A registrations, compared to less than seven per cent in 2010.

The government will begin seeking views from the public and motor dealers on the possible changes next month.

The process will likely take about two to three months.

- CNA/fa