• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Car coolant pipe burst / leak

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today my car broke down. I tried my very best to drive my car to the nearest petrol station and from there I requested tow service to tow my car to the repair shop.

Repair man check my car alternator and battery and all are fine. However they notice that coolant pipe leak or burst.

Dear brother and sister, may I know what is the market price for coolant pipe ? Jiuhu repair man said it is made of plastic .

Pls share info with me

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shouldn't cost muchos. If you had driven too far, your car engine block may overheat and start to mangle. I. E. Surface all not smooth anymore and oil and water may leak everywhere.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today my car broke down. I tried my very best to drive my car to the nearest petrol station and from there I requested tow service to tow my car to the repair shop.

Repair man check my car alternator and battery and all are fine. However they notice that coolant pipe leak or burst.

Dear brother and sister, may I know what is the market price for coolant pipe ? Jiuhu repair man said it is made of plastic .

Pls share info with me
Assuming yours is a Kimchi or Jap car the coolant pipes that leak usually are near the radiator and quite cheap only.

Just ask workshop to order and replace the pipe, then purge n renew the coolant.
Good workshop will do a proper pressure test to ensure no more leaks then kao dim.

Last edited:

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Assuming yours is a Kimchi or Jap car the coolant pipes that leak usually are near the radiator and quite cheap only.

Just ask workshop to order and replace the pipe, then purge n renew the coolant.
Good workshop will do a proper pressure test to ensure no more leaks then kao dim.
Dear @Hightech88 老司机。 do I need to change the coolant tank ?that square coolant tank and sometimes driver need to check if “engine got water”?

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear @Hightech88 老司机。 do I need to change the coolant tank ?that square coolant tank and sometimes driver need to check if “engine got water”?
Coolant tank is just a reservoir for radiator coolant expansion flow into it and contraction flow out when temp cools down after your drive, esp. during the night.

If all the pipes connected to the tank and the tank itself has no crack and working well, why need to change?

There is a max and min line indicator. Just make sure the coolant is top up near the max line and never below the min. Usually after you stop the vehicle after a long drive, you should notice the coolant exceeding the max line due to back flow from the radiator expansion cap valve. Then in the morning, the coolant level should flow back to the radiator through the radiator valve cap and drop below the max line again. This cycle must repeat itself after every drive, then you know your coolant system is working properly.

Last edited:

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pls share info with me
You got conned by the repair shop.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays jihu mechanic is charging a premium for their service. Just a change of radiator fan costs a few hundred bucks.

It's not worth the price.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pls share info with me
first your car broke down.what are the symptoms? High temperature light indication on?

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
you repaired the radiator coolant heat exchnage few years ago?
a radiator coolant can easily work 6 ,7 years without problem unless you use water jet to wash car and spray onto it
I think my radiator last more than 10 years but I replace other parts of coolant system

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Pls share info with me
This kind of fucking stupid post is no head or tails. Fucking retards like u come here and ask for advice, but don't even bother to describe the situation in detail.

1) If your coolant pipe really broke, u will know it right away. U will see steam come out off your bonnet, and hot coolant spraying everywhere. Also, there will be a strong smell of coolant and a big puddle of green/yellowish coolant under the car. This is an immediate stop, you should not be able to drive the car at all because it would be hard to see. You will also see the engine temp gauge go thru the roof. Since u made no mention of all these factors, I suspect it was not a coolant pipe problem.

2) Coolant piping is not made from plastic. If it was, it would never withstand the pressure and high fluid temperature. Coolant hoses are made from reinforced synthetic rubber. They are easy to change, can be cut to the right size, and if you know how to do it, you can change it yourself and tighten the clamps. The fact the mech told you its made of plastic means he is full of shit.

3)If your car is still driveable enough for you to limp to a petrol station indicates there is some other issue, but without detailed information, its useless to tell u what it is.