• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Candidates clarify their vision of the role of the President

PhuaTeKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
This article sums up what each candidate is hoping to do as our president. :smile:

Candidates clarify their vision of the role of the President
by CHANNEL NEWSASIA
07:55 PM Aug 21, 2011

600yahoo_candidates.jpg

SINGAPORE - The four presidential candidates have clarified what they believe to be the powers of the President.

They were speaking to reporters as campaigning hit the halfway point today.

Since the start of the hustings, a number of policy suggestions to improve Singapore society have been floated by the candidates.

For instance, after making stops at nursing homes for the elderly yesterday, Mr Tan Kin Lian suggested the state should pay out a pension for the needy elderly, while Mr Tan Jee Say called for the income ceiling for nursing home subsidies to be raised.

This led to presidential candidate Tan Cheng Bock commenting that candidates should not promise things that cannot be delivered under the constitutional powers of the President, or get involved in day-to-day politics.

Responding today, Mr Tan Kin Lian said he was taking an optimistic view of things.

"I would like to ask my good friend Dr Tan Cheng Bock to be more positive. Things will be good for the future of the people and a better life for the people - it can be done. It's not easy, but it can be done. So, be more positive," he said.

Mr Tan Jee Say believes that Singapore's head of state has "moral" influence beyond what is stated in the Constitution.

He said: "The Office of the President is what the President makes it out to be. I see the Office of the President not as a centre of executive power, but as a centre of moral power, to persuade people, to persuade the Government. And I think (the President) can also lend the prestige of the Office to some charity drive."

Dr Tony Tan, the fourth presidential candidate, maintained his view that the President's role is as prescribed in the Constitution.

He said: "The President must work within the perimeters of the Constitution, as I've said. People must run for the post that exists today, not the post they might like to have. And you have to respect that. Whatever comments you make have to be within that constraint."

Dr Tan Cheng Bock said that policy suggestions beyond the prescribed roles of the President should be made behind closed doors, "or else the role of the President is going to clash with the executive - and that's exactly what we don't want", he said, referring to the Government, which is the executive branch of Singapore.

The four candidates have another four days of campaigning to win the hearts and minds of the Singaporeans before the mandatory Cooling-off Day when no canvassing for votes is allowed.