• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cancer prevention and strategy for cure

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After ultra sound scan, doc said it is thickening of the base of the valve, which is most probably genetic. Left shoulder pain if go running. Any advice or opinion to share?

That shoulder pain is called angina. It usually occures when the blood can't supply enough oxygen e.g. arteries have some blockages.

Don't know about your case, but people with atherosclerosis(blocked arteries) must make lifestyle changes such as eliminating processed foods, eating more veggies & fruits. Supplement with multi-vitamins, omega 3, coQ10 etc Some supplements that have been known to clear blockages include pomegranate & glisodin. Improving one's lifestyle & diet hasn't hurt anyone:smile:

You may want to talk to another doctor for a second opinion e.g. the clinic in JB.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some people may think I'm overdoing it but I have to wonder?.

I've had some relapses such as edema(water retention) when I had stomach flu, couldn't eat anything for a few days without throwing up, even taking one pill caused me to throw up. That's why I had to go to JB for further EECP treatment to get rid of the water build-up. The doctor suspected I had damage to my kidneys, liver, etc. However when the tests came back, no damage was found :eek:

I thought I was lucky but I think it was because I was taking plenty of different supplements, most of it were antioxidants that must have protected my organs.

Don't worry about overdoing the fibre thing. We get fibre from eating fruits & veggies & the problem is that we do not consume enough. If you want to reduce reduce cholesterol take a look at http://www.iherb.com/CerBurg-ProFibe-454-g/10780?at=0. Animal studies have proven that it reduces cholesterol.

Not excessive lah, pretty reasonable since it is in replacement of medication. For cancer, heart and other major illness, most people would have done the same to go for alternative where available. Come to think of it, years ago i had ringing in the ear and the doctor also prescribed some ginkgo supplement to help the blood circulation. The ringing did go off after a while, so must have helped. Just that there are so many types of supplements, really no end and can't afford to take everything. And some are like taking medicines with side effect, like i ever tried calcium supplement that caused constipation. Btw do you take calcium supplement, any recommendation? Heard the cheaper ones are made from shells and can cause kidney stones?

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
That shoulder pain is called angina. It usually occures when the blood can't supply enough oxygen e.g. arteries have some blockages.

I have shoulder pain when I wake up. Only when waking up. After a while like 10mins it's gone. Then next morning waking up, happens again.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks forummer johnny333.

@HedgeTrader, front of shoulder or whole shoulder? Left or right or both? How about the arm? May be just sleep position.

Also, got mei mei head lying on your shoulder for the whole night bo:confused::biggrin:

I have shoulder pain when I wake up. Only when waking up. After a while like 10mins it's gone. Then next morning waking up, happens again.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not excessive lah, pretty reasonable since it is in replacement of medication. For cancer, heart and other major illness, most people would have done the same to go for alternative where available. Come to think of it, years ago i had ringing in the ear and the doctor also prescribed some ginkgo supplement to help the blood circulation. The ringing did go off after a while, so must have helped. Just that there are so many types of supplements, really no end and can't afford to take everything. And some are like taking medicines with side effect, like i ever tried calcium supplement that caused constipation. Btw do you take calcium supplement, any recommendation? Heard the cheaper ones are made from shells and can cause kidney stones?

If you go to the clinic in JB, there is poster that says "If you think health is expensive, try sickness" :smile:

Being sick is no joke, I've spent thousands & thousands of $$$ on treatment, doctors fees, & supplements.,... I don't mind investing in organic food i.e. which most of the supplements are derived from.

I don't take calcium supplements since the mult-vitamins I'm taking already include calcium in it. I don't think taking calcium alone is as effective as taking it with other minerals like magnesium?? I've also started drinking organic milk from Australia. It's sold unrefrigerated in 1 litre cartons at NTUC the brand is "True Organic" & it comes in 2 varieties, normal & low fat.

If you need to find out about the effectiveness of supplements. I recommend reading the comments of users of various products. For calcium products it's at http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=calcium

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
@HedgeTrader, front of shoulder or whole shoulder? Left or right or both? How about the arm? May be just sleep position.

Also, got mei mei head lying on your shoulder for the whole night bo:confused::biggrin:

One side right side only, on top collar bone. No lah, recently stock market crashing no money to cheong, no mei mei. Got mei mei time very siong with the fuck but very shiok also. Wake up next morning never got problem.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
If no mei mei factor and right shoulder, sori I dont know liao. Maybe some other forumer can provide better advice.

One side right side only, on top collar bone. No lah, recently stock market crashing no money to cheong, no mei mei. Got mei mei time very siong with the fuck but very shiok also. Wake up next morning never got problem.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I used to wake up with aching feet, but the problem is reduced when I'm taking antioxidants. Many uncles & aunties have this problem, it's call getting old :(

Probably due to poor circulation when you are inactive i.e. sleeping.

The scientific term is "inflamation". Many, many, many .... products out there since the problem is so common, you can read about the various products here http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=inflamation+pain+relief#p=1&sr=0

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you go to the clinic in JB, there is poster that says "If you think health is expensive, try sickness" :smile:

Being sick is no joke, I've spent thousands & thousands of $$$ on treatment, doctors fees, & supplements.,... I don't mind investing in organic food i.e. which most of the supplements are derived from.

I don't take calcium supplements since the mult-vitamins I'm taking already include calcium in it. I don't think taking calcium alone is as effective as taking it with other minerals like magnesium?? I've also started drinking organic milk from Australia. It's sold unrefrigerated in 1 litre cartons at NTUC the brand is "True Organic" & it comes in 2 varieties, normal & low fat.

If you need to find out about the effectiveness of supplements. I recommend reading the comments of users of various products. For calcium products it's at http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=calcium

Yeah health is good investment, still there is a budget to be followed. IMO if eat out all the time, then need to take multi vit supplement, if eat home cooked food, there is no need to take. Just need to eat lots of veg, fruits, nuts, beans, brown rice, and take supplement where there is deficiency.

Calcium is one supplement that I am interested becos my bone density is lower than ideal. Tried a few calcium supplement but all have side effect of constipation, so now I stick to eating organic green veg (heard green veg has a lot of minerals and calcium) and taking Anlene milk powder. Tried the organic milk at NTUC before, but find Anlene milk more economical.

Actually I do know how it is like to be sick, that is why after getting bad acid reflux attack a few years ago, i revamped my diet from 100% outside food to eating 50% at home. It has helped a lot, feel much heathier nowadays.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read somewhere, that some form of milk may leech the calcium from bones. I try to find that article.

Calcium is one supplement that I am interested becos my bone density is lower than ideal. Tried a few calcium supplement but all have side effect of constipation, so now I stick to eating organic green veg (heard green veg has a lot of minerals and calcium) and taking Anlene milk powder. Tried the organic milk at NTUC before, but find Anlene milk more economical.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Huh, milk leech calcium? Thanks for the info anyway.

milk is a protein and that is too much protein that turns your blood acidic.

When your blood is acidic, the calcium in your bones will be leeched out to make the blood alkaline again.

I get my calcium from green leafy vegetables and with vitamin C from fruits and vegetables, the calcium is absorbed readily into my body and bones.

with regular exercise, my bone density is higher than those meat eating losers.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://makingpages.org/health/calcium.osteoporosis.html

Calcium, Osteoporosis, and the Selling of Dairy Products

The National Dairy Council wants you to drink your milk. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) doesn't. At issue is your risk of developing osteoporosis and a few billion dollars in profits for the dairy industry.

1. Preventing and Reversing Osteoporosis

Excerpt: While patients tend to assume that boosting their calcium intake will ensure strong bones, research clearly shows that calcium intake is only part of the issue and that simply increasing calcium intake is an inadequate strategy. No less important is reducing calcium losses. The loss of bone mineral probably results from a combination of genetics and dietary and lifestyle factors, particularly the intake of animal protein, salt, and possibly caffeine, along with tobacco use, physical inactivity, and lack of sun exposure.
Would it surprise you that huge, multi-billion-dollar companies who profit from the sale of dairy products and calcium supplements think you need more calcium?

Animal protein tends to leach calcium from the bones, leading to its excretion in the urine. Animal proteins are high in sulfur-containing amino acids, especially cystine and methionine. Sulfur is converted to sulfate, which tends to acidify the blood. During the process of neutralizing this acid, bone dissolves into the bloodstream and filters through the kidneys into the urine. Meats and eggs contain two to five times more of these sulfur-containing amino acids than are found in plant foods. More

But is milk really effective in helping adults prevent osteoporosis? The segment then turned to Harvard Professor Walter Willett, one of the top health researchers in the country. According to Willett, "There's really no good evidence that increasing milk consumption by adults will reduce their risk of fractures." More

Two studies have revealed that soy may play an important role in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, a disease that can affect 24 million Americans. [...] A study by the Division of Nutritional Science, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana found that post-menopausal women with high concentrations of soy in their diet had stronger bone health. More

2. What's Wrong With Dairy Products?

Excerpt: Insulin-dependent diabetes (Type I or childhood-onset) is linked to consumption of dairy products. Epidemiological studies of various countries show a strong correlation between the use of dairy products and the incidence of insulin-dependent diabetes. Researchers in 1992 found that a specific dairy protein sparks an auto-immune reaction, which is believed to be what destroys the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas. More

3. Protecting Your Bones

Contrary to popular belief, calcium does not protect bones. Not by itself, anyway. But since the body compensates for a calcium deficiency by leaching calcium from bones, it is important to get anough. So what are the best sources? Surprisingly -- at least for people who get their nutritional guidance from dairy council advertising -- milk is not a very good source. Sure, it's loaded with calcium, but it's not as easy for the body to absorb it as the calcium in kale or swiss chard, and the presence of protein, fats, and other products can cause the body to lose calcium from bones.

That's why the largest study of its kind found that eating dairy products provided no protection at all against bone fractures!

The most healthful calcium sources are green leafy vegetables and legumes, or "greens and beans" for short. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collards, kale, mustard greens, Swiss chard, and other greens are loaded with highly absorbable calcium and a host of other healthful nutrients. More

American Fitness Professionals & Associates (AFPA)

The medical profession and the media encourage the public to drink milk and eat dairy products because "it does the body good". Nothing could be further from the truth! Higher calcium and protein intake is purported to lower the incidence of osteoporosis according to the Dairy Council [but] the largest study of diet and disease in medical history [shows that] higher animal calcium and animal protein intake is the primary cause of degenerative disease. More

Organic calcium is found within the body in the matrix, spongy living core of the bones. Animal dairy products contain inorganic calcium. Which is not recognized, nor utilized by the body. Dr. Stanley Kaplan, MD has found that organic calcium losses were elevated markedly in individuals for 3-4 hours after a meal rich in calcium from dairy and high in protein. Independent medical studies, those not funded by the Dairy Council, have concluded that excessive calcium found in the body (in the blood stream ) will not be recognized. Instead, this inorganic calcium from animal sources are removed from the blood and collected in the kidneys. This can lead to the development of kidney stones. The body requires calcium for life and daily bodily repair. Since there is no usable calcium available the brain instructs the bone matrix to release organic calcium into the blood stream. The net result is a loss of calcium from the bone matrix. This loss causes a weakening of the bone resulting in osteoporosis according to Dr. John McDougall, M.D. More

The Big Business Connection: Who Really Profits?

Would it surprise you that huge, multi-billion-dollar companies who profit from the sale of dairy products and calcium supplements think you need more calcium?

From Endocrineweb: Recent studies have shown that many American girls do not get enough calcium in their diet after the age of 11. Much of this is blamed upon the substitution of sodas in the diet for milk [....] The vast majority of endocrinologists encourage their female patients to take supplemental calcium daily. One of the easiest and most effective methods of increasing your calcium intake is to take an oral calcium supplement [...] such as Citracal [...].

Surprise, surprise ... there was an ad for Citracal on the page!

From the National Dairy Council: CASE STUDY OF "JUNK SCIENCE": "Further fueling misinformation [...] are activists like the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). The PCRM and PETA have been conducting a systematic and misleading anti-milk campaign to further their own animal rights and vegan agendas. These groups inappropriately interpret observational research to make bogus food and health claims promoted on the Internet to unnecessarily scare millions of consumers."

Notice the derogatory use of "activist" to mean "fanatic." Of course, the National Dairy Council isn't an activist organization at all! They have no agenda! Their idea of plain talk is to use loaded words like "misleading," "inappropriate," "bogus," and "scare."

Why the Dairy People would Rather Sling m&d than Talk Science

Perhaps because it could not substantiate its claim that PCRM used junk science, the thrust of the Dairy Council's press release was to attack PCRM by dismissing the organization as, "a fringe anti-meat, anti-dairy, animal rights group." The Dairy Council went on to deride PCRM's milk warnings as, "ridiculous and irresponsible," and attacked PCRM for trying to push a "hidden agenda." It's true PCRM has an agenda, as does any group that seeks to modify a population's eating patterns, but this agenda is certainly not hidden. PCRM has never tried to hide its position that a vegan lifestyle offers numerous health, environmental, and ethical advantages. In fact, it's fair to say that PCRM publicizes a vegan-oriented message at every opportunity. Indeed, if anyone has a "hidden agenda" it's not PCRM but rather the National Dairy Council.

The National Dairy Council concluded its June 1 press release with the words: "Consumers are warned against taking nutritional guidance from activist groups that are trying to promote their own agendas." But isn't it much more hazardous for consumers to take nutritional guidance from business groups that are trying to promote their own agendas, namely selling a product? According to the Dairy Council's logic, we should ignore non-profit publicly funded groups like PCRM and instead base our eating decisions on information provided by industry-funded "science" groups. The point of attacking PCRM is that the Dairy Council does not want consumers to realize that calcium is abundant in numerous non-dairy foods. Contrary to the Dairy Council's propaganda, it's easy to construct a dairy-free diet that delivers sufficient calcium. By relying on plants rather than cows to provide your calcium needs, you also avoid cholesterol, saturated fat, somatic (pus) cells, potential risks arising from rBGH injections, and a number of other undesirable elements that come in every glass of milk.

Letter to “Dear Abby”

Dear Abby:

In your May 27 column, you gave "Future Orthopedic Surgeon in Virginia" an A+ for his letter about osteoporosis. I suggest you take a second look and reduce his grade to a "C." It's surprising in this day and age, but almost no medical school requires courses in human nutrition, and some don't even offer one! So it's not surprising he was a little confused.

It is important to get enough calcium, but according to Dr. John McDougall, "Calcium deficiency caused by an insufficient amount of calcium in the diet is not known to exist in humans." And Dr. Walter Willett studied 80,000 women over a twelve year period and found that women who consumed three or more servings of dairy a day did not add any protection against bone fractures.

In addition, milk and dairy products are not the best sources of calcium. For one thing, "skim" or not, they're still loaded with fat, and -- if you're not careful where you shop -- could contain growth hormones, the carcinogenic IGF-I, antibiotics, and traces of other drugs, like tranquilizers. The Federal Trade Commission forced milk producers to pull their original ad campaign ("Everybody needs milk"), calling it "false, misleading and deceptive." In fact, contrary to what was printed in your column, excess protein prevents absorption of calcium, and can actually leach it from your bones, causing osteoporosis. Dr. Neal Barnard writes, "Dairy products contain sodium and animal protein, both of which encourage calcium losses."

Abby, the average American eats double the amount of protein they need! No wonder we have a higher incidence of osteoporosis than, say, Japan, where they rarely drink milk. The low fat Japanese diet also helps explain why severe symptoms of menopause are virtually unknown there.

Based on absorption characteristics, the best sources of usable calcium are collard greens, turnip greens, and kale. Yes, greens -- the stuff your grandmother made you eat. One cup of kale, for instance, contains only 179 mg of calcium vs. 302 mg for milk, but your body can use 50-70% of it, yielding, on average, 107 mg. You can only use about 30% of the calcium in milk, so you only get 91 mg of calcium per cup of milk. And collard greens have almost twice as much! Other excellent sources include turnip greens, soy, broccoli, cornbread, and beans.

By avoiding dairy products, you can help not only the cows, but yourself, by reducing the risk of osteoporosis, food allergies, asthma, obesity, and heart disease.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually a good foot massage will help blood circulation. But not recommended for heart patients.:(

I used to wake up with aching feet, but the problem is reduced when I'm taking antioxidants. Many uncles & aunties have this problem, it's call getting old :(

Probably due to poor circulation when you are inactive i.e. sleeping.

The scientific term is "inflamation". Many, many, many .... products out there since the problem is so common, you can read about the various products here http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=inflamation+pain+relief#p=1&sr=0

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah health is good investment, still there is a budget to be followed. IMO if eat out all the time, then need to take multi vit supplement, if eat home cooked food, there is no need to take. Just need to eat lots of veg, fruits, nuts, beans, brown rice, and take supplement where there is deficiency.

I've read some health related articles & all of them recommend at the minimum taking a multi-vitamin. They all point to the fact that food nowadays is not as nutritious because of the intensive farming methods used. The food that is available at NTUC may also be genetically modified. Studies have shown that animals fed GM food have a higher mortality rates. GM foods may also have more allergens that causes allergies.

When I was growing up, all my friends were healthy. The only exotic disease was color blindness:smile: However it's now common for the newer generation to have all sorts of strange illnesses. For example I have a younger colleague who found out that she was allergic to flour:eek: I remember reading about a family who emigrated to Australia because their child was allergic to many man made chemicals. In Australia their home uses only natural materials.

I'm not a nutrition expert. I don't know if the meals I prepare are balanced & well rounded. Taking multis is an insurance against a nutrient deficiency. When we get older good nutrition becomes more critical. Especially since the sins of when we are young are catchin e.g. missed breakfasts, eating fast food, ...:(

It's unfortunate that the PAP taxes food, medicine & supplements. This is one of many reasons that I'm planning on moving out of Spore:smile:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are your potential targets? Hope to see your views in the emigration folder. Mine are Oz, NZ and Canada...the usual lor.

I actually like Penang. Can also cheong Hatyai nearby. For living I like Penang. Hatyai good to cheong but not to live too long. My Thai no good and may be troublesome. Johor good point also since nearest Singapore, come back visit relatives and friends easier.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually a good foot massage will help blood circulation. But not recommended for heart patients.:(

I read a book by an angmo doctor which discusses what someone with a heart problem could do. Included are sections on chelation, EECP, the supplements, aroma therapy, and foot reflexogy

Anything that helps with circulation is good for those with heart problems. I have heard that there is a good place with experienced masseuse in Toa Payoh. They get people with all kinds of ailments going to them.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where are your potential targets? Hope to see your views in the emigration folder. Mine are Oz, NZ and Canada...the usual lor.

Looking at Pattaya, Chiangmai, Vancouver

Many businesses are english friendly in Pattaya. It also near to Bangkok with it's many world class hospitals.
Changmai has a cool weather with clean air.
LOS is also near to Spore which will allow semi retirement rather than full retirement. :smile:

Vancouver as part of Canada has a good hospital system. The weather there is milder than Edmonton & Calgary. It rains rather than snows. Less crowded than Toronto. When I'm in Vancouver I feel like I'm in San Francisco:eek: Can also drive to California:smile: However must stay there for at least 5 years to become a citizen.