• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canada Vs US...which is better?

Tungsten

Hi Guys, been reading your forum and was hooked on it for the past few days. First and foremost, Thanks you all for your wonderful insights and willingness to share your experiences in migrating out of sgp. You guys have really broaden my horizon and I am seeing the light that I have been trying to find for a long time.

I have actually shortlisted Canada and the States to be ideal for my move. I would appreciate if you guys can share the difference between the two in terms of entry, taxes and educational (for my little son) expenses. Insurance and medical? Thanks in advance!!!!:smile:

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
While we wait for subject matters to chip in, here are some pointers.

1) Don't procrastinate and dream. Start applying for both simultaneously. That way, you don't have to backtrack to square one when one isn't looking good. You can make the final decisions later if you end up with both.

2) Green Card or Employer sponsorship is the best for US and lot more certainty. Other than that it tends to be longer to become a PR and a citizen. Canada like OZ, NZ, can't throw you out once you get the PR.

3) Canada has comprehensive safety net for health and other welfare programs and thus the tax is higher.

I don't think you can wrong picking up either.

Hi Guys, been reading your forum and was hooked on it for the past few days. First and foremost, Thanks you all for your wonderful insights and willingness to share your experiences in migrating out of sgp. You guys have really broaden my horizon and I am seeing the light that I have been trying to find for a long time.

I have actually shortlisted Canada and the States to be ideal for my move. I would appreciate if you guys can share the difference between the two in terms of entry, taxes and educational (for my little son) expenses. Insurance and medical? Thanks in advance!!!!:smile:

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

After living here for many years I dont see that much difference between here and Canada. The main differences are climate, size (Canada is/was the 2nd largest country in the world last time I checked), and thier tax system. Canada of course is easier to become a resident in, and they have universal health care but we are on the verge of passing the same. If you need any information on the American Health care system, PM me as I can tell you anything you need to know as I am the one in my family dealing with both Aetna our primary carrier and United Health Care our secondary. American Health Care is a subject that you should research if you plan on living here as its very complicated and knowedge is power in this respect. This applies to the Canadian system as well.

Many immigrants use Canada as a stepping stone to get in here because American Residency is "fast tracked" for Canadians, and its also the other way around for Americans wishing to become resident in Canada.

Culturally there is also not that much difference, they love their LEAFS and they play us. They have the RMPs and I notice many Canadians RV down to Florida during the winter months as I see so many Ontario license plates, and the locals in Florida call them "snowbirds" as I have a foreclosure I bought in Florida this year. If you need info on how to buy a cheap foreclosure property PM me as I went through that whole process six months ago. Generally we get along. This is North America, after all, but it always surprises me how we have no actual barrier or fence seperating us and Canada or us and Mexico. People can literally just walk or drive across in many places.

On a side note I may have to repost this several times as there is seems to be something wrong with this forum. You might keep recieving this post

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you intend to carry on working in your area of expertise/education, then you need to be selective (state/province, town). If this (type of work) is not priority, then select by lifestyle. Of course one can always move, but consider your resources. Career jobs are hounded by droves of folk from all over the world - including their own.

But as to US or Canada, no diff. In the US, you can easily buy a handgun. Further north, you can always get one from the south.

Cheers!

Tungsten

Thanks Redbull, for your prompt reply. And Happy Holiday! Yes, this idea of migrating was actually spurned off when i was looking at foreclosed properties in the states, especially in Florida, Miami. Just like how i got into US equities last year, I think properties will have a substancial upside to it.

The immigration process seems more complicated for US than Canada. But I am more veered towards US when i compare property and car prices between the two. I would appreciate if you can point me to the right direction. Do I engage the services of the immigration solicitors advertised online or are there any innovative ideas to expediate the process? (like setting up a subsi from sgp and getting the entity to employ me? Any ideas will very much appreciated.

Yes, I would like to find out more on the medical requirement but I really don't know how to pm. The truth is, this is my first time in a forum and I am very glad to find you guys! Is it okay to put my email here?

Thanks in advance!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for the u.s., if you have money and wishes to be an investor to get your pr, the best avenue is the eb-5 visa. to qualify, you need to invest usd1m in a business that will provide 10 jobs in a metro or urban area. for a rural area or small town that needs economic stimulation and jobs (pilot program), the required amount is usd500k.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Both countries are vast. Flying East to West takes 5 hours! Each region, each city, each town has its own identity, its own micro climate, its positives, its negatives and its quirks. State/Province and local city governance make a huge difference in the way a town or city is governed.... more so than federal policies.

There isn't much difference between Jurong and Bedok but there's a big difference between Vancouver and Quebec or between San Diego and Raleigh, NC.

I would apply for residency in both and take whichever comes first. You can always move again later either across the border or within the same national boundries as opportunities come your way.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal

As a prospective immigrant the main difference is ease of immigration. The Canadian System is simple wheras the American System makes it extremely difficult to become resident in the USA. Your best bet is to marry an American or have a company sponsor you or invest through the EB visa.