• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can You Live Without a Car in Singapore?

Singapore

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The big question you will face is: can you survive getting around Singapore without a car.

And the simple answer is: yes, you can.

In all honesty, based on the prices for cars, it isn't even an option for many people. And budget-wise, you will never spend as much money on cab fares, trains and buses as you will in buying a car.

What about you?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I need a car for my work. I am a salesman. A car is needed to visit clients, deliver samples, ferry visiting principals to customers, and this time of the year, to carry mooncakes to valued customers.

I need a car for my family. My mom is elderly and I wouln't let her take public transport. I take my family, including the dog to the beach sometimes, taxis won't allow the pooch in them. On weekend grocery runs, we go to the wet market for veggies, meats, and fish and supermarket for packaged sundries. That's a lot to haul and public transport would be a hassle.

A car is a prize, or goal for any working class bloke in an industrialised country. You tempt him with all the sexy ads in car magazines, glorify motorsport and glitz the lives of F1 drives, and then you tell blokes they don't need a car? That's a total cop-out and bummer.

Cheers!

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The big question you will face is: can you survive getting around Singapore without a car.

In all honesty, based on the prices for cars, it isn't even an option for many people. And budget-wise, you will never spend as much money on cab fares, trains and buses as you will in buying a car.

What about you?

If you spend less than 15% of your income on car is OK.
If more should take other type of transport.

mikec

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I need a car for my work. I am a salesman. A car is needed to visit clients, deliver samples, ferry visiting principals to customers, and this time of the year, to carry mooncakes to valued customers.

I need a car for my family. My mom is elderly and I wouln't let her take public transport. I take my family, including the dog to the beach sometimes, taxis won't allow the pooch in them. On weekend grocery runs, we go to the wet market for veggies, meats, and fish and supermarket for packaged sundries. That's a lot to haul and public transport would be a hassle.

A car is a prize, or goal for any working class bloke in an industrialised country. You tempt him with all the sexy ads in car magazines, glorify motorsport and glitz the lives of F1 drives, and then you tell blokes they don't need a car? That's a total cop-out and bummer.

Cheers!

I really like your reply Agoraphobic.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Overseas family buys a car because it's cheaper than using pubic transport. Peesai taking out a family of 4 is hell..especially if you are pushing a stroller. Even if you take the first train and go home on the last train also is a nightmare..So the answer is simple..dont have kids in peesai, die young or immigrate..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Overseas family buys a car because it's cheaper than using pubic transport. Peesai taking out a family of 4 is hell..especially if you are pushing a stroller. Even if you take the first train and go home on the last train also is a nightmare..So the answer is simple..dont have kids in peesai, die young or immigrate..
I lagi like your reply. :smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Yo bro, but then our Malay compatriot seems to have no problem and yet continue multiply

extramarital

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What about you?

I cannot live without a car in Singapore. I need a car to gain face. My colleagues, friends and relatives will all look down on me if I don't drive a car. Also, no girls will want to date me if I don't have a car. A car for a Singaporean man is equivalent to an LV bag for a Singaporean woman.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What about you?

You didn't even mention the brand of the car. As long as car even cherry QQ is considered good right?

pc2009

Alfrescian
Loyal
I take BMW (bus, mrt, walk) to work. From my block to MRT is 10 min walk. From Tampines to north, I need to change from EW line to circle line, then NS line. And the bus to final destination daily. Return home is the reverse. It takes 1 hour and 15 min one way.

As I get older, I can feel the strain on my legs walking from my block to MRT, in between MRT lines. Not to mention the frustration trying to catch the trains while some people walking slowly during peak hours watching video clips or message on their phone, people who don't Q and the mrt staff yelling at us to give way.

FTs have no such problems. If they work in North, they move to North and just cycle or walk to work.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot live without a car in Singapore. I need a car to gain face. My colleagues, friends and relatives will all look down on me if I don't drive a car. Also, no girls will want to date me if I don't have a car. A car for a Singaporean man is equivalent to an LV bag for a Singaporean woman.
Gosh, you need a penis enhancing car to date girls? Is your package that bad?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why homes near to mrt station command a premium. It is quite a breeze to take train with kids if you stay near to a train station that is in central area. Folks staying along NS and EW lines in the suburb regions have it tougher, but I would say is not that tough.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are very honest. Most man owns a car to gain face but use other reason like requires a car for work as a must e.g salesman at the expense of using 30-50% of their salary on car. I mean wtf their salesman job pays them maybe 3-4k+ if the job has really required a car, the co. should pay for the car if not it means this position is not necessary must hv a car.
And yes most gals prefers man with car on a date. Not all but mostly.
I teach u ..buy a car to date the girl, after up the girl liao sell it off.
As for colleagues, friends and relative it is ok for them to look down on you since you will not gain anything from them also even they see u UP. More importantly is for the dating part.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People give all sorts of excuses to have a car in SG.

I feel it is nothing more than a status symbol.

In bigger countries, like Msia.. where travelling from one state to another could take more than a few hours... a car might save you time.. and also probably safer than in a public transport.. could be.

But in SG.. where it takes you less than 2 hours to travel in MRT from one corner to the other corner of the island.. it's a waste of money to even try to buy and maintain one.

Supermarkets and shpping malls are not far from HDB estates.. most have small markets selling daily sundries nearby.. you don't need to drive like 30mins to the nearest supermarket to buy your groceries like I did when I studied in USA. Then, I had to go wif friends who do own a car.. I did not buy one there as the cheapest one was USD 8k I could spend it on Uni tuition fees and still have left-over for rent, food and clothing.

IMHO, you don't need a car, unless you have special needs.. like if you're severely handicapped and most taxis don't want to take you onboard their cars. Then.. you might want to have a car.. or.. you have handicapped ppl in your family that needs special care when travelling.

Other than that.. taxis can be used as an alternative if you don't like the crowded trains and buses.

And you don't have to OWN a car to do sales.. you can always rent or lease one.. it's still cheaper than to OWN a car.

That is my opinion.. cos I don't want to give money to the pappies to feed their inflated paychecks and their egos.

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you spend less than 15% of your income on car is OK.
If more should take other type of transport.

So you are saying only $7,500 to $15,000 per month salary should get a car? (since monthly installment payment, anytime can be $1,000 to $2,000 for low-end car). Makes sense. But a lot of people out there, salary $2,000 per month, still must get car to impress girlfriend.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stay near a place which is near a park or a beach, with a NTUC fair prices store nearby.

And work in company that give u a Van or car.

Your problem all solved. And you do not need a car.

Cheers!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is getting harder to live without a car. Taxis are harder to find when you need them and fares are much higher, soon they will be like that of the US. When public transportation costs more, the math gets to be more favourable for private car ownership.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good analysis, a car might not be necessary in Sg, but it sure would make life a lot easier.

Cheers!

Not true, even overseas, a car in the long run will always be more expensive to maintain compared to taking public transport, that include cab charges. But its always more convenient.