• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can someone explain why?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
point is Papee has formula to peg almost everything.....enegry cost, bus & MRT fare, ministar salary, etc...
we can of course disagree with the basis....
hahaha.....why not let your finger do the talking....
simply marked "tick" on the correct place at the next erection.....

bro kuku...i would love to...but hor my GRC is Grandpa Lee leh...i dun think anyone got balls to challenge....

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro kuku...i would love to...but hor my GRC is Grandpa Lee leh...i dun think anyone got balls to challenge....

hahaha...cumming..akan datang
at the worst, we can form a sbf team and stand...
you just put up the nomination papers and deposit...
no need any posters, rally
don't even need to campaign at all - zero expenses
at the end of the erection, collect back deposit.....
I can underwrite, in a straight 1-1 fight, you will get back the deposit...
premium is 3% for kopi.....

Z

Zombie

More than 80% of electricity in SG is generated by burning natural gas. Then how come when price of oil increase, always increase electricity tariffs?

natural gas is traded in long term contracts (many years) and the traded price is pegged to fuel oil prices

tariff is also pegged to fuel oil prices at every 3-mth interval in advance, using forward contract (not spot nor futures contract)

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
More than 80% of electricity in SG is generated by burning natural gas. Then how come when price of oil increase, always increase electricity tariffs?

Garlic - can you explain why garlic has increase in price?

Capitalising on the demand, onion and garlic prices have increased six-folds in the Saurashtra region of Gujarat. Consequently, the commoners are forced to bear the brunt. Household buyers are unable to afford vegetables, as already backbreaking current inflation rate in India has crossed the mark of 9.7 percent. According to Dr.Bharat Patel, an expert on agro produce and Advisor, Agriculture Produce Marketing Committee (APMC) in Rajkot said that heavy rainfall in the region has damaged the crop of onion and garlic as such the prices of present stock of garlic and onion are soaring high.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you fark the PAP government
for not letting you have minimum wage ?
But you let them peg everything which
lead to price increase .

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) All energy supplies have a positive correlation to crude oil prices. More so those those fuels that are ready subsititute to crude oil.

2) Negotiated prices for long term contract typically are indexed to trading crude oil prices once the deviations are significant.

3) Supply of utilities are a monoploy and the govt has always put in a large surcharge figure for utltities due to lack of natural resources, the need to purchase from the open market and to control wastage. For decades, surpluses from utilities have formed the largest contribution to the govt coffers other than taxes. It has been too dependent on it that it cannot forgo the revenue.

4) We thus end up paying much more than most and feel the impact of a surge in oil prices. This is despite natural gas being cheaper than oil.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nope, our Minister of ENV very upset that while everything rises, his salary hasn't. That's why his little bro can't rise and he 2lan.

ENV Perm-Sec. : What are we going to do about rising costs and prices? :o

ENV Minister : Raise them somemore of course, where do you think your salary and mine come from? :mad:

ENV Perm-Sec. : Which are the areas to raise then? :confused:

ENV Minister : Everything! Everywhere! :oIo:

A few months later...

ENV Minister : What the hell is going on with all these floods? :(

ENV Perm-Sec. : Water levels also rise. You say raise everything everywhere, we also let the water levels rise. :biggrin:

ENV Minister : When I say everything everywhere, I don't mean raise water levels to flood the country. :mad:

ENV Perm-Sec. : I'm not a mind-reader, am I? You say everything everywhere. I've checked the dictionary. :p

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ENV Perm-Sec. : What are we going to do about rising costs and prices? :o

ENV Minister : Raise them somemore of course, where do you think your salary and mine come from? :mad:

ENV Perm-Sec. : Which are the areas to raise then? :confused:

ENV Minister : Everything! Everywhere! :oIo:

A few months later...

ENV Minister : What the hell is going on with all these floods? :(

ENV Perm-Sec. : Water levels also rise. You say raise everything everywhere, we also let the water levels rise. :biggrin:

ENV Minister : When I say everything everywhere, I don't mean raise water levels to flood the country. :mad:

ENV Perm-Sec. : I'm not a mind-reader, am I? You say everything everywhere. I've checked the dictionary. :p

Bro Ramseth: A pity they didn't get you to be PS of any of the ministries. Their loss is SBF's gain!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Grandpa or step-grandpa??? Grandpa loves grandchildren. Looks like your grandpa Lee hates all his grandchildren. Must be step-grandpa then.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The future energy source

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/igTK2h5UmZg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/igTK2h5UmZg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

1) All energy supplies have a positive correlation to crude oil prices. More so those those fuels that are ready subsititute to crude oil.

2) Negotiated prices for long term contract typically are indexed to trading crude oil prices once the deviations are significant.

3) Supply of utilities are a monoploy and the govt has always put in a large surcharge figure for utltities due to lack of natural resources, the need to purchase from the open market and to control wastage. For decades, surpluses from utilities have formed the largest contribution to the govt coffers other than taxes. It has been too dependent on it that it cannot forgo the revenue.

4) We thus end up paying much more than most and feel the impact of a surge in oil prices. This is despite natural gas being cheaper than oil.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Please lah!

Did you factor in the infrastructure cost (power plant, lines, software) when you moan about the electric tariffs???? How about storing, shipping and transportation????

Cheebye peasant. If you cannot afford the electricity, sell away your fridge, TV, air con and live on what you can afford.

Indeed, there are many other factors to consider when determining the tariffs. And with Singapore being such a tiny island, these costs you mentioned when compared to other bigger countries cant be higher than them, whichever way you look at it. Debate on the facts, being vulgar gets u no way other than the fact u have nothing more to input.

FYI, I can well afford these rises.. but being able to afford it doesn't mean i have to tolerate it. In SG, there is monopoly in this sector, hence SGPs have no choice. There are alternative energy companies in other countries and this results in better prices for consumers. Do not believe in the bullshit that says SG market is too tiny. The profit they are making are in the billions; they are just unwilling to open up, while in the meantime are telling everybody SG is an open market.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
natural gas is traded in long term contracts (many years) and the traded price is pegged to fuel oil prices

tariff is also pegged to fuel oil prices at every 3-mth interval in advance, using forward contract (not spot nor futures contract)

Well, if that's the case, all the more they shouldn't increase isn't it? Since they say price rosed this month, while the actual costs of the natural gas were already determined "long term" ago...

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI, I can well afford these rises.. but being able to afford it doesn't mean i have to tolerate it. In SG, there is monopoly in this sector, hence SGPs have no choice. There are alternative energy companies in other countries and this results in better prices for consumers.

Please adjust your conceited mentality

You can always earn more $$$$ back by taking advantage of the vast opportunities offered by the large number of migrants, booming finance industry and tourism.

You can pay a $500 more in electricity bills a month but if you got the brains and resourcefulness, you can easily make $10,000 back.

Grow up lah! Moaning gets you nowhere.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Garlic - can you explain why garlic has increase in price?

Capitalising on the demand, onion and garlic prices have increased six-folds in the Saurashtra region of Gujarat. Consequently, the commoners are forced to bear the brunt. Household buyers are unable to afford vegetables, as already backbreaking current inflation rate in India has crossed the mark of 9.7 percent. According to Dr.Bharat Patel, an expert on agro produce and Advisor, Agriculture Produce Marketing Committee (APMC) in Rajkot said that heavy rainfall in the region has damaged the crop of onion and garlic as such the prices of present stock of garlic and onion are soaring high.

I read that actually, almost all food-scare rise in prices are not due to actual supply dwindling. They are the work of commodity traders....

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Please adjust your conceited mentality

You can always earn more $$$$ back by taking advantage of the vast opportunities offered by the large number of migrants, booming finance industry and tourism.

You can pay a $500 more in electricity bills a month but if you got the brains and resourcefulness, you can easily make $10,000 back.

Grow up lah! Moaning gets you nowhere.

Hence, i work for no one.... Moaning gets one nowhere, thats true. Grumbling about things i'm unhappy about on the forum is the exact reason most of us joined this forum in the first place; to generate awareness and to share news and ask for ADVICE.

Back to the topic, whichever way one look at it, the rise in tariffs is unjustified and the biggest problem is monopoly.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read that actually, almost all food-scare rise in prices are not due to actual supply dwindling. They are the work of commodity traders....

Commodity traders may have to shoulder part of the blame but not all. It's all interlinked between supply and demand expectations, hedgers and speculators in between. Soft commodities (i.e. foods, not metals) can't be "invested" in because these can't be storage of value, i.e. perishables. That's why these were natural starters for futures contracts and exchanges.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
It indeed is.. spot prices for natural gas did not rise this month even....
i read in the papers several years ago singapore signed a long-term natural gas contract wth indonesia. I understood then from the article that it is similar to the water pact we have with malaysia (cost is fixed), which makes the talk of a peg a load of bull.

Anyone else can recall?

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
the biggest problem is monopoly.

No

The problem is limited supply and lack of 100% guaranteed supply.

If you price it low, usage will increase beyond the capacity and everyone suffers from blackouts etc

Then you need a few billions $ buffer to handle price shocks and disruptions