• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can Money Buy Happiness?

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
i totally agree that talking cock is a happy past time...:o

my main problem is here:
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/venzPNvge18" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes that can make you happy too.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, money definitely can buy happiness, go restaurant no need to see price before deciding what to order, go holiday no need to squeeze economy class, buy house no need to compromise on location, any medical condition can check up as soon as possible, no need to worry on consultation fees...

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Yes, money definitely can buy happiness, go restaurant no need to see price before deciding what to order, go holiday no need to squeeze economy class, buy house no need to compromise on location, any medical condition can check up as soon as possible, no need to worry on consultation fees...

That's buying convenience, not happiness lah...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

You have the wrong idea of what happiness is.

Once you have money for all the comforts of life, they'll all be taken for granted as part and parcel of your existence.

Using your logic, you should be overjoyed with your life if you compare it with one led by a starving African child who does not know where his next meal is coming from.

There are millions in this world who have never eaten in ANY restaurant, never gone for ANY holiday and never been on a plane, never owned a house regardless of location and have never seen a doctor.

Happiness is not about material wealth or lifestyle. Happiness is brought about by having a good relationship with your loved ones and by achieving goals and helping others do the same.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Happiness is not about material wealth or lifestyle. Happiness is brought about by having a good relationship with your loved ones and by achieving goals and helping others do the same.

This must be the most sensible statement I have seen coming from Leongsam all this years I have been on the forum! :biggrin:
To Leongsam, cheers! :biggrin:

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

kayapo_children_3.jpg

Some people simply don't get it.:wink:

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack
To sit in the synagogue and pray.
And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.
That would be the sweetest thing of all.

[video=youtube;RBHZFYpQ6nc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc[/video]

orbin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am averagely happy with my life. Enuff to spend, splurge a little sometimes.

But I am increasingly digusted (unhappy) with PAP importing so many foreignors and screwing Singapore...

This is why I guess, my face is so black.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Whats this obsession with happiness?

Because it is something that is largely absent in Singapore. People have this idea that once they drive a Merc or a Beemer and have enough money to buy that condo, they'll live happily forever after but happiness doesn't work that way.

You can have all the material wealth in the world and still be absolutely miserable because the basic building blocks of a happy existence viz family, friends and a meaningful life are absent.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
This must be the most sensible statement I have seen coming from Leongsam all this years I have been on the forum! :biggrin:
To Leongsam, cheers! :biggrin:

This the Sinkie conundrum. You have here a Singaporean who takes the good life for granted and is unhappy simply because of a few minor issues like having to stick to a budget when ordering food, having to put up with a bit of discomfort on a plane trip, not being able to buy a home in a prime location etc.

This attitude permeates the whole nation. They forget that for the majority of the rest of the world, property ownership, plane trips and meals out are nothing more than a piped dream.

Physiocrat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Happiness is a very profound shit which varies among individuals.

I enjoy reading. So when I read I suppose I am happy . But at the same time the more you read and start to know/doubt stuff, the more miserable one becomes.

So basically you get into a very illogical state= the more miserable I am, the happier I am.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have money (and I mean excessive), you can buy almost anything you want, except to extend your life. So, why cannot be happy?

Physiocrat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because it is something that is largely absent in Singapore. People have this idea that once they drive a Merc or a Beemer and have enough money to buy that condo, they'll live happily forever after but happiness doesn't work that way.

You can have all the material wealth in the world and still be absolutely miserable because the basic building blocks of a happy existence viz family, friends and a meaningful life are absent.

To be fair, hkies are no different. And the demand for drugs are high for both countries. I remember hearing somewhere (an educated junkie) that when one is a kid, there is a certain gland in the brain which excretes some juice which is the culprit for the feeling of "happiness". As one ages, this gland is not as active as before. Drugs apparently have the capability to sort of "reactivate" that gland momentarily.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If you have money (and I mean excessive), you can buy almost anything you want, except to extend your life. So, why cannot be happy?

Because buying stuff (acquiring possessions) does not bring about happiness. It may cheer you up for a day or so but that's it.

Take my cycling hobby as an example... buying a new bike does not make me happy. Polishing it every day won't make me happy either.

However, training for a race, building fitness, reaching new fitness milestones and finally winning a race brings immense satisfaction.

Happiness is brought about by achievements not possessions and especially if the possessions were acquired with no effort on your part.... eg winning a lottery or inheriting a few million dollars.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... However, training for a race, building fitness, reaching new fitness milestones and finally winning a race brings immense satisfaction ...
u trained hard n surpassed various fitness milestones, u njoyed ur race ...

but u lost 2 ur bestest fren or most hateful rival by a whisker ...

wil u b happy? ...