• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can I persuade you all to get dual citizenship?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually Scroobal made it sound troublesome. Just buy an air ticket and hire a lawyer. You're free as a bird and the world is your oyster.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Windsor said:
Yes, I know that but for those who intent to migrate to the countries mentioned, they are considered 1st world for now. We might know before March 2012 I guess. Even Canada may not be spared.:(

You want to go to a first world country with a first world life-style? Go to a first world agricultural country. It will stay first world longer.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
scroobal said:
This was one of the main reasons why I joined SBF at the start a decade ago. To persuade you guys that world is your oyster. One must learn to have options. If you have passed that part of your journey, do it for your kids or grandkids. Please take this seriously. At least go pick up the application form from the high commission or embassy. It's is not a zero sum game. You can still live and work in Singapore if you can't live without KTV, Laksa or the sight of Ho Ching.

Think just for yourself, not for your grandkids or even your kids. The world is changing very fast. I have friends who migrated some 30 years ago to a first world country. His grown-up kids choose to come to Singapore to develop their careers because there was nothing happening where they were brought up and the old man and woman moved back with them. The funny thing is that when you moved from a high asset price country to a low price one, it is essentially a one way street. Moving back won't allow a simple switch of your assets back. Now my friend does not have any asset to give to his kids. They have to start from scratch. You plan for your kids with the move only if you know there is no way they can make it here. But it is like playing the piano. It could be your childhood dream to play the piano but you did not have the chance. But don't force it on your kids. They might hate it. My friend in the above story did not do it for the kids. It was not the fashionable things to do in those days. Another thing: I just came across a report from an Australian source about a week ago. It says that of the new immigrants into Australia, 85% are on some kind of welfare assistance and two-thirds are unemployed. I won't look from this at how good the welfare system is. Rather I look at it from the reality of the environment and wonder how long before the laws have to change. See what is happening in Europe today. The ruling party in Singapore might seem almighty for the past four decades but when its popularity falls below a certain threshold they look really vulnerable.

kemana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think just for yourself, not for your grandkids or even your kids. The world is changing very fast. I have friends who migrated some 30 years ago to a first world country. His grown-up kids choose to come to Singapore to develop their careers because there was nothing happening where they were brought up and the old man and woman moved back with them. The funny thing is that when you moved from a high asset price country to a low price one, it is essentially a one way street. Moving back won't allow a simple switch of your assets back. Now my friend does not have any asset to give to his kids. They have to start from scratch. You plan for your kids with the move only if you know there is no way they can make it here. But it is like playing the piano. It could be your childhood dream to play the piano but you did not have the chance. But don't force it on your kids. They might hate it. My friend in the above story did not do it for the kids. It was not the fashionable things to do in those days. Another thing: I just came across a report from an Australian source about a week ago. It says that of the new immigrants into Australia, 85% are on some kind of welfare assistance and two-thirds are unemployed. I won't look from this at how good the welfare system is. Rather I look at it from the reality of the environment and wonder how long before the laws have to change. See what is happening in Europe today. The ruling party in Singapore might seem almighty for the past four decades but when its popularity falls below a certain threshold they look really vulnerable.

oz is still ok, we r riding the china boom, mining and resource industry is keeping us strong. Only if china start to slow down bad then need to worry.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Strange how a lot of detractors here don't get one of the messages that Scroobal is putting across here.

Migration is not a one-way ticket as it was before or a huge leap of faith into the uncertain. With things like email, video conferencing, internet banking, LCCs, the world is literally getting smaller.

Sure, if you still think postage letters, telex, IDD, rail roads, cheque books, share certificates are at the cutting edge of finance and communications, then you have my sincerest apologies and deepest sympathies.

Migration in the modern age is but a means to an end, to have your cake and eat it, all of it.

The smart ones would adapt and thrive in whatever environment they choose, while the simple minded would always look at a glass half empty but yet still pine for the grass that's greener on the other side.

And what better way to set yourself up with a nice tidy passive income; living overseas as your assets in SG work hard for you while your SG citizenship ensures you enjoy the tax free repatriation of profits from overseas investments.

Unfortunately, many here are not only frogs in slowly boiling water, they are frogs stuck in a deep well with slowly boiling water...

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Moreover, if one still has an axe to grind with PAP, then your holidays in SG can be considered as part of the minimum residential requirements for vote eligibility.

You don't need to put up with crap from the PAP running dog ministers and still cast a vote come election to make yourself heard.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Broadly speaking, if one is preparing to migrate, you will need at least 2 years to prepare and arrange your finances such that:

1) To bolster a period of unemployment and relocation costs to your new host country.
2) Consider the costs of separating your investments with yourself as an individual
3) Restructure your portfolio of investments for tax reduction purposes.
4) Design a method of cash flow between your overseas self and your SG entity for maximum tax deductions.

I guess the smarter ones can read between the lines and know what exactly I am talking about. Hint: This is what the old lizard made sure the second dragon did.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your IQ 80.000001, smartest:smile:

read the comment from the opposition supporters here, you know their IQ probably around 80, and they are blaming everything under the sun are pap fault without any knowledge of basic economic or basic politics. The smart one in singapore either join pap or bait out already.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
read the comment from the opposition supporters here, you know their IQ probably around 80, and they are blaming everything under the sun are pap fault without any knowledge of basic economic or basic politics. The smart one in singapore either join pap or bait out already.

Care to share your knowledge of basic economics and basic politics with us? Because I can't imagine how someone like you who has a history of contributing nothing of note to this forum would be capable of knowing anything about advanced economics and advanced politics.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your IQ 80.000001, smartest:smile:

Just that one quote of his would suffice to prove how low his IQ is. Look at the innumerable grammatical mistakes that he made in just two sentences. WTF is "bait out"? :biggrin: This genius doesn't even know the difference between "bail" and "bait". :rolleyes:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
QXD said:
Migration in the modern age is but a means to an end, to have your cake and eat it, all of it.

The smart ones would adapt and thrive in whatever environment they choose, while the simple minded would always look at a glass half empty but yet still pine for the grass that's greener on the other side.

And what better way to set yourself up with a nice tidy passive income; living overseas as your assets in SG work hard for you while your SG citizenship ensures you enjoy the tax free repatriation of profits from overseas

Unfortunately not all the people who make this leap of faith has the means to hold their assets in Singapore and at the same time invest in new assets in the overseas destination. If it is indeed their situation, there is no need for them to leave anyway because they would be quite comfortable here. Many could be misled to make the leap from one well into anoth

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fook Seng said:
Unfortunately not all the people who make this leap of faith has the means to hold their assets in Singapore and at the same time invest in new assets in the overseas destination. If it is indeed their situation, there is no need for them to leave anyway because they would be quite comfortable here. Many could be misled to make the leap from one well into anoth

...from one well into another well by uprooting their assets here in order to invest in new assets in the destination country. These people will find it a one way street because the life style in the destination country will also be the very expansive environment where the asset growth will be slower. Otherwise how do you account for the lower pricing of assets there. So these people will actually be leaping from one well into a deeper well. When they finally make the decision to move back, the assets in Singapore will be out of their reach. I have seen families broke up because they could not all agree whether it was a good move or not. Those members who could adapt stayed on. Others who could not moved back. So no. For these people without the means, I do not agree that they look at this as a two way street. It is truly only one way. The successful emigrant has to be prepared for it to be one way.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

for the wealthy and elite who are not interested in politics, there's no need to retain sg citizenship anyway. the regime will prostitute themselves to attract former citizens like some of us to visit as honorary citizens. for the top 1% of achievers, we can go anywhere we want, and govs will open their legs wide, bending and inventing laws to keep us. holding multiple citizenships such as euro, u.s., canadian, will be much better than keeping an sg passport. who the fuck wants to live in sg permanently anyway when the world is our oyster? i can only tolerate 2 weeks in sg. 1 more week and i'll have to check in at imh like the rest of sbf forumers here. sg is a place for the demented, schizo and mentally unstable. you can't tell the difference because you live in it and are part of the craziness. :biggrin:

Checker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lky was asked by Charlie Rose what he'd advise young SG. He said take the world as your oyster, go for opportunities in US China & SEA region, use SG as your base.

I think No question being competitive in work esp in developed countries is not easy as a minority and foreigner though. But can be done by some. Really depends on your unique skills, language, contacts network

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
This was one of the main reasons why I joined SBF at the start a decade ago. To persuade you guys that world is your oyster. One must learn to have options. If you have passed that part of your journey, do it for your kids or grandkids. Please take this seriously. At least go pick up the application form from the high commission or embassy. It's is not a zero sum game. You can still live and work in Singapore if you can't live without KTV, Laksa or the sight of Ho Ching.

Thank you for inspiring so many people and continuing being a source of inspiration.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you apply for a mortgage or a HDB flat, this is no different. We apply for mortgage or HDB flat because it is a necessity. It follows a simple process in terms of qualifying hurdles.

You say like so easy pick up some forms and fill in the blanks LOL