• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can any samster give some advice to this Sinkie why can't he find a job ?

Witterquick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not he starts his own small business and employ cheap CECAs to work for him?

So the theory is must go to good school, get good grades, get good jobs and have good future?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not he starts his own small business and employ cheap CECAs to work for him?

So the theory is must go to good school, get good grades, get good jobs and have good future?
U must be neo. Ceca will stew ur customers and under cut u by hiring even chipper cecas. :unsure:

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are simply not enough jobs being created to maintain good employment. on top of that with the CECAs taking over the hiring departments and giving jobs to their own people, less and less jobs are available for over locals over 40.

we have so many uni grads (local + Oseas) employers will always choose to hire younger people. Even at higher starting pays, they are still faster and more productive than the locals who tend to be content at doing the same shit, no overtime but demand pay increments and large bonuses

Summary:
Govt fuck us by not creating more jobs
Govt fuck us by bringing in CECAS
CECAs fuck us by bringing in more CECAs
We fuck ourselves by doing nothing

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal

As someone who has worn the shoes of a hiring manager, my take for Imran’s career predicament are as follows:

Big Picture: The Singapore labour market is generally very unkind to PMEs. Most MNCs will start managing out employees in their late 40s and early 50s if they get stuck at mid managerial and cannot reach Senior Executive Level.

Another thing is many HR people have this idea that they need to hire someone with enough runway ahead, i.e. if they are hiring for a middle managerial or professional position, they want someone they think can move up to senior managerial level in 5 – 10 years. For a late 40s guy, they will only consider if you demonstrate you have potential to move up to top level positions in a few years.

Obviously the writer lands in a cold spot from a big picture point of view in terms of his age and his patchy experience.

Small Picture: For people who don’t wish to pursue the corporate ladder in people and functional management Marketing roles (i.e. don’t wish to become CMO, Director / VP of Marketing), the smart ones usually start to build up their personal branding earlier.

This means people must know you as a person more than the company you work for, i.e. when someone talks about the marketing activities of the VC, people must remember the author, Imran Johri, not the VC company.

From what Imran has shared, I have a feeling his so called “Head of Marketing” in a VC is a one or two man show in a small company, i.e. he wasn’t heading a well-established MNC’s marketing function with operations and headcount across multiple countries.

On the other hand, he didn’t seem to be aware of the need to build up his personal brand during his 5 year stint in the VC either. This much is obvious because if he had done so successfully, people would be looking for him either to freelance, contractual project if not make a permanent offer. The fact he was applying for jobs conventionally and attending interviews from company to company suggests he did not do so.

In summary, Imran’s current state is a combination of the nature of our labour market and also due to the lack of personal planning in his own career.