• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buying a Car Down Under. Beware the Hidden Taxes

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you wish to quote tax rates from the Clinton Administration, go ahead. I will be here to correct you.:biggrin::biggrin:

aiyahhh no matter how much bush or obama lower ur taxes, there is no way it can beat what i pay when i relocated here. are you familiar with the concept of a big fat zero??:biggrin:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The non-domicile rule is a tax loophole that made Britain a tax haven It was framed during the days of the British Empire.

It allows some residents of the UK to cite another country as their real domicile and then, unlike all other residents, to pay UK tax on their earnings in the rest of the world only if they remit the money to the UK. If they do not remit it to the UK, no tax is levied.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiyahhh no matter how much bush or obama lower ur taxes, there is no way it can beat what i pay when i relocated here. are you familiar with the concept of a big fat zero??:biggrin:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The non-domicile rule is a tax loophole that made Britain a tax haven It was framed during the days of the British Empire.

It allows some residents of the UK to cite another country as their real domicile and then, unlike all other residents, to pay UK tax on their earnings in the rest of the world only if they remit the money to the UK. If they do not remit it to the UK, no tax is levied.

Sure. Its called tax credits that exceed your tax liability. Govt gives you free money. Try that in Singapore.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure. Its called tax credits that exceed your tax liability. Govt gives you free money. Try that in Singapore.

Wow I did not realize how bad it is in Australia. Say goodbye to nice cars.....unless you migrate to the US.........tax hike Australia strikes again..

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=55600&vf=1

Luxury car tax hike 'blow to dealers'
AAP, July 31, 2008

The hike in luxury car tax would further erode the slim profit margins of Australia's car sellers, a federal parliamentary inquiry has been told.

The hike in luxury car tax would further erode the slim profit margins of Australia's car sellers, a federal parliamentary inquiry has been told.

The Motor Traders' Association of NSW on Thursday outlined its case before a Senate committee examining the Rudd government's planned increase in luxury car tax from 22 per cent to 33 per cent.

The tax will apply to vehicles selling for just over $57,000, and the association says the increase would place further pressure on car dealers, many of whom were enduring profit margins of less than one per cent.

"What our dealers are telling us is they are really under the pump at the moment," association senior manager David Smith said on Thursday.

"They are very nervous going into the July quarter. They are very nervous given that retail is down and with the downturn in the economy."

Mr Smith said the tax increase would prompt many car buyers to forgo optional extras on some higher-priced but otherwise common vehicles, such as four-wheel drives, to keep the cost below the tax threshold.

The association is calling for luxury car tax to be abolished or, the threshold to be increased.

"We don't know of any item that is sold in Australia that attracts a luxury tax other than a motor vehicle after a value of $57,180," Mr Smith said.

"A guy driving around in a Toyota Tarago for $60,000 is not viewed the same as a guy with a $200,000 Rolex (watch), which is purely a luxury item."

The association represents 900 new and used-car sales businesses across NSW.

The increase in luxury car tax was announced in the Rudd government's first budget.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.kotsemo.com/Www/Extra/News/?newsID=223

The hidden taxes on your new car

Every time Porsche sells a new 911 Turbo in Australia, the tax man makes enough money to buy five Toyota Corollas.

That’s the startling truth about Australia’s tax regime as it applies to motor vehicles.

Taxes on new cars range from 9 per cent for Australian made vehicles to 36 per cent for the most expensive imports.

A third of the price of a new Rolls-Royce Phantom, or a staggering $300,805, goes into the government’s coffers. And that figure will rise even further when the Government lifts the luxury tax on vehicles that cost more than $57,123 from 25 to 33 per cent.

In the wake of the latest slug on car buyers, Drive has calculated the various taxes paid on 10 cars sold in Australia’s, ranging from the Hyundai Getz and Holden Commodore to the 911 Turbo and Rolls-Royce Phantom – and the results aren’t pretty.

Drive can’t tell you exactly how much import duty you pay because the 10 per cent tariff is paid on the wholesale price of the car, before the manufacturer and dealer add their profit margins.

Car companies won’t reveal how much import duty they pay because it would allow their competitors to estimate their profit margins.

So for the purpose of our table, we’ve estimated a 10 per cent profit for both the dealer and manufacturer.

The chief executive of the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industry, Andrew McKellar, says Australia is “right up there” when it comes to taxing car buyers.

“The luxury tax in particular is far higher than any similar tax anywhere in the world,” he says.

The differences are most notable in luxury imports. For example, a Porsche 911 that costs more than $200,000 in Australia sells for less than $75,000 in the United States. Holden’s own Commodore SS, which sells for $45,290 here, costs roughly $32,000 in the States.

Australian motorists can potentially pay up to five taxes or duties when they buy a new car.

Import duty is charged when a vehicle arrives on Australian shores, then GST and luxury car taxes are levied, before stamp duty and registration fees take another slice of the pie.

“The tax burden on motorists is already substantial and the increase in luxury tax is simply a punitive measure on top of that,” he says.

He says the tax regime now hits luxury buyers three times during the sale process. Apart from the luxury tax, they also pay more GST by virtue of their car’s higher purchase price.

Then once the sale goes through, they pay a higher percentage of the sale price in stamp duty because the rate is based on a sliding scale, where the tax rate increases in most states at $30,000 and $45,000.

On a Porsche 911 turbo, the GST payable is $25,732, the luxury tax is $51,348 and the stamp duty totals $15,820. Add to that an estimated import duty of more than $20,000 and you come up with a total tax burden that is approaching the cost of a new Porsche Boxster.

The taxes payable on a Toyota LandCruiser would buy a new Toyota Yaris, while the tax on a BMW 5-Series would pay for a Volkswagen Golf.

McKellar says the other injustice is the fact that many cars that were never intended to be caught in the luxury tax net are now affected because the level at which the tax cuts in has not been adjusted in line with inflation.

“There hasn’t been any decent increase in the luxury tax threshold in the past four or five years. It hasn’t kept pace with the changes in the industry. Whatever happened to the good old Aussie notion of a fair go,” he says.

Aiyo.. u must be a mountain turtle.. there is such thing called "Salary Sacrifice" - using pretax paying for your car.. there is also company expenses, using preprofit paying for expenses.. Lastly, Lexus is offering "ZERO" interest for 4yrs.. IS250C is going for $75k interest free.. Not bad lah..

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyo.. u must be a mountain turtle.. there is such thing called "Salary Sacrifice" - using pretax paying for your car.. there is also company expenses, using preprofit paying for expenses.. Lastly, Lexus is offering "ZERO" interest for 4yrs.. IS250C is going for $75k interest free.. Not bad lah..

That alot of money! You can buy two for the price of one in the USA. Singaporeans want cheap and value, so Australia no good for cars unless tiny 1 liter lousy car.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
That alot of money! You can buy two for the price of one in the USA. Singaporeans want cheap and value, so Australia no good for cars unless tiny 1 liter lousy car.

To some.. this is alot of money.. To some, it is money well spent..

If one like it cheap, they should work in the toyota city.. free cars.. or live in Africa :smile:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To some.. this is alot of money.. To some, it is money well spent..

If one like it cheap, they should work in the toyota city.. free cars.. or live in Africa :smile:

I was looking for 1 litre cars in Australia, and there is only one type on offer, Smart ForTwo.

Apparently, the ones that are for sale in Singapore cannot pass safety test in Australia + we have bumpy roads, the little cars will fall apart.

In Perth, one of the most popular car is VW Golf.

Would you buy a 1-litre car?
Is the world – and more pertinently Australia – ready for the sub one-litre car?

Spooked by the European Commission’s tough new laws on vehicle emissions, car makers are rushing to develop a new breed of micro-cars with low emissions and exceptional fuel economy.

There’s only one catch: they’re unlikely to be able to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

The latest micro cars to grab the headlines are the Fiat Topolino (which aptly translates into Mickey Mouse in English) and the BMW Isetta.

Both are scheduled for introduction in 2010 and both may use a 900cc engine, with stop-start technology and other fuel-saving features.

They are designed to compete with planned micro cars from Volkswagen and Toyota with tiny names to match their cubic capacity. VW’s car is called the Up!, while Toyota’s, which is due for release as early as next year, is called the IQ.

So, are Australians ready to step out of their Commodores and Falcons – or Corollas for that matter – into one of these tiny tots? Not bloody likely is my first reaction.

After all, no-one is rushing out to buy a Smart Fortwo at the moment. It has to be said, though, that the Smart is very expensive and only has two seats. These new cars are likely to be sharper priced and have four seats.

But what if governments began to tax the backside off anyone who dared to visit the CBD in anything bigger than a scooter?

After all, peak hour congestion is getting no better, the skies aren’t getting any clearer and the hole in the ozone layer isn’t getting any smaller.

And from a purely selfish point of view, petrol isn’t getting any cheaper.

Perhaps we will be forced to have two cars – one for the family on the weekends and one for the daily commute into work.

What do you think? Is there a place for a well-made, quality car with good dynamics and a small capacity, possibly turbocharged engine?

Or should only milk and orange juice come in one-litre packages?

Richard Blackburn

Posted on August 1, 2008 1:11 PM

Peiweh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am curious, on what basis does the Australia government impose such high import duties on vehicles

What is the justification?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am curious, on what basis does the Australia government impose such high import duties on vehicles

What is the justification?

Justification ? Bcoz we do not have COE.. our off street parkings are free.. and we do not have ERPs.. our cars can last for life.. should I say anymore ?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Justification ? Bcoz we do not have COE.. our off street parkings are free.. and we do not have ERPs.. our cars can last for life.. should I say anymore ?

My god you are stupid. So when you park your car "off street" on your property in Singapore the URA can charge you?

I think you need to spend more time staring at your cieling fan

It might occur to you that Singapore is no longer concerned with people leaving for there anymore, as cars, houses, the cost of living, stress, etc is the same as Singapore

Now America, thats a real quitter paradise.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
My bimmer still 2.5 times cheapr then sg, no luxury car tax (under 50k), so what's your problem?

do u need to change your own engine oil and spark plugs? someone here ever mention in the past that they need to do this on their own cos the repair and service cost are very high....u hve problem changing ? :confused:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
do u need to change your own engine oil and spark plugs? someone here ever mention in the past that they need to do this on their own cos the repair and service cost are very high....u hve problem changing ? :confused:

Errr.. I changed my engine oil last week too.. It is an easy job. All you need is to buy a car-jack min 1400kg.. oil filter and engine oil.

If you have double garage and heaps of spare time.. why not?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Errr.. I changed my engine oil last week too.. It is an easy job. All you need is to buy a car-jack min 1400kg.. oil filter and engine oil.

If you have double garage and heaps of spare time.. why not?

Jesus Christ its US$ 10 bucks at any Jiffy Lube

Only the lowest class white trash like you in America "change their own oil" We are not so poor like you to avoid paying the 10 USD

My god, you just confirmed how bad your quality of life is. I think I will keep my cheap Mexicans changing my oil for me at rock bottom prices. I thank god for cheap labour and the excellent quality of life they provide!

Oh thats right! you dont have any cheap labour in Arsetralia. Only white idiots who charge 300 bucks an hour to have your plumbing fixed. My latinos do it for alot less, try 20 bucks and hour. Poor you.

And again thank you for showing us why we should all avoid Australia and a worse standard of living there

Clap Clap Clap

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jesus Christ its US$ 10 bucks at any Jiffy Lube

Only the lowest class white trash like you in America "change their own oil" We are not so poor like you to avoid paying the 10 USD

My god, you just confirmed how bad your quality of life is. I think I will keep my cheap Mexicans changing my oil for me at rock bottom prices. I thank god for cheap labour and the excellent quality of life they provide!

Oh thats right! you dont have any cheap labour in Arsetralia. Only white idiots who charge 300 bucks an hour to have your plumbing fixed. My latinos do it for alot less, try 20 bucks and hour. Poor you.

And again thank you for showing us why we should all avoid Australia and a worse standard of living there

Clap Clap Clap

It takes me 15min to complete a $250 job.. not bad lah..

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
It takes me 15min to complete a $250 job.. not bad lah..

Not when it costs 10USD out of Australia and you dont have to get dirty.

I am trying to think of Americans changing their own oil, and laughing yikes.

Again, many thanks for helping us see how bad it is in Australia

I cringe to think how crappy it is for you

Poor guy.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not when it costs 10USD out of Australia and you dont have to get dirty.

I am trying to think of Americans changing their own oil, and laughing yikes.

Again, many thanks for helping us see how bad it is in Australia

I cringe to think how crappy it is for you

Poor guy.

It is not crappy lah.. Perhaps ya too high class to discuss on matters. As long as you have the car jack or ramp and a big garage and have the attitude to get ya hands dirty. Everything is easy. It is not uncommon for ppl to hv a workshop in their garage for their hobbies and handi stuff.

This is why i always said.. not all ppl can fit into the Australia environment. Getting hands dirty is 1st step, be humble and adapt are next.