• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Businessman grew up in an attap house and now owns a house and two supercars

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-S...-while-not-offering-as-many-to-local-students
[h=1]Why does the Singaporean government offer scholarships to foreigners studying at its universities, while not offering as many to local students?[/h]Frequently asked in

UpdateCancel
Re-Ask
Follow9

Cannot add comment if you are logged out.

8 Answers

Zhu Liang, Student, INTJ

There are different kinds of scholarships, some are designed for both locals and foreigners, some only for locals or foreigners.

• Sheer numbers: For scholarships designed for only local talents or only foreign talents, we agree on the basis of meritocracy that both groups do deserve the scholarships. The problem is with the numbers. There are always more "foreigners" (earth's total population minus local population) than locals. The policies in Singapore makes it even more attractive for foreign talents, hence the sheer number of foreign talents is large. This may result in more foreign talents than local talents in Singapore, hence more foreigners getting scholarships only for foreigners as compared to locals getting scholarships only for locals.

• Locals going overseas: For scholarships designed for only locals: many of the local talents choose to study overseas, hence, they are not competing with the foreign talents directly and they are not in local universities.

• Competition: For scholarships that do not consider applicant's nationality as on factor: if we take away local talents who are on overseas scholarships, the number of foreign talents may become equal to or even larger than local talents left. Hence there is competition going on.
These factors combined give people the impression that the government gives more scholarships to foreigners than locals.

1 upvoteWritten 4 Jan

Upvote
Downvote

Comments1+

Cannot add comment if you are logged out.

-5f6664fb4315c38e.png
Quora User
There are relatively few scholarships for locals to study in NUS or NTU. There are some study awards but they come with a lot of restrictions that scholarships for foreign students don't have.

Comment downvoted8 Feb
Cannot add reply if you are logged out.

Reply... Facebook
Twitter
More

Share8 Feb

Zhu Liang
: Restrictions like?

-5f6664fb4315c38e.png

Quora User, Schooled locally, from kindergarten to universityUpvoted by

Edwin Khoo, Singaporean
Quora User has 280+ answers in

Singapore.

Singapore universities are not as attractive to foreign students as peer universities in the US, UK and Australia, despite their high world ranking. The scholarships offered to foreign students are there to ensure that we have more than zero international students in our local universities.

Very few people, Singaporean or non-Singaporean, would be willing to go to NUS or NTU if they had to pay the full sticker price (29,000 to 38,000 SGD per annum for tuition fees, see Fees for Undergraduate Programmes). The out-of-state tuition in my alma mater, the University of Illinois, is comparable and costs around 32,000 USD (see illinois.edu

University of Illinois Financial Aid: Cost
). I knew plenty of academically strong international students who were willing to pay the full tuition rate at the University of Illinois. In contrast, I've never heard of a single international student who paid the full sticker price in NUS.

This of course begs the question of why the Singapore government wants international students to study in our local universities. From
http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/parl..., the government's position is

In addition, our schools, universities and the corporate sector also offer a range of scholarships to quality international students to create a diverse student body that encourages the learning of important cross-cultural skills, as well as to meet the manpower needs of our economy. With Singapore’s decreasing fertility rates, it is important that even as we seek to better develop our talent pool, we augment this with working professionals and students from abroad. This helps us to maintain our economic competitiveness and ultimately raise the standard of living of our people.​
In other words, scholarships given to foreign undergraduates to study in our local universities are really a means of sponsoring immigration to Singapore.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
knn, another smearer, who'd need a male companion when in china, most sinkies i know who is stationed in china, at least 90% has a 2nd wife there. need no business acumen of any sort, all you need is to drink, eat and fuck, everyday happy kind of lifestyle.
What do I gain from smearing Patrick who's a total stranger to me?

You can ask GoldenDragon to confirm if Patrick, in his younger days, did hook up with local Sinkie gays. GoldenDragon claimed to have retired from the Singapore Police Force.

According to a little bird from the West, Sinkie gays who are stationed in China hook up with local Chinese gays.

Whether Patrick is gay or a closet gay is immaterial to me. He doesn't pose a threat to me.

On the other hand, Chief Natural Aristocrat is a threat to all Sinkies who believe that all men are equal in a democracy.