• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Brunei excluded from Beijing Olympics

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brunei excluded from Beijing Olympics:eek:

Aug 8, 2008, 11:58 GMT

Beijing - Brunei was excluded from the Beijing Olympics shortly ahead of Friday's opening ceremony by the International Olympic Committee because it failed to register athletes in time.

'It is a great shame and very sad for the athletes who lose out because of the decision by their team not to register them. The IOC tried until the last minute (midday Friday) to have them register, but to no avail,' said IOC spokeswoman Emmanuelle Moreau.

Two athletes were originally due to represent Brunei, a swimmer and a shot putter.

Brunei is now the only IOC member not competing in the Beijing Games which will now see 204 participating nations.

southwest

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brunei being a small country has lack of people. They are not like Spore where people can be imported from PRC :(

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe the brunei king son cannot make up his mind to take part in the olympic or the china geylang scene ?

jbsmith

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least there is accountability.

The sports minister was asked to go.

Brunei reshuffles cabinet after Olympics blunder
Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:03am EDT

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Aug 22 (Reuters) - Brunei's ruler has named a new sports minister, the government said, after the tiny oil-rich nation was dropped from the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games for failing to register any athletes.

Brunei's absence at the Games shocked the nation of 350,000 people, forcing the sports ministry to issue an apology.

Brunei's ruler Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah ordered industry minister Ahmad Jumat to take over the sports ministry as part of a minor cabinet reshuffle, a government statement said late on Thursday.

The IOC said Brunei could not take part in the opening ceremonies because the team did not register any athletes for competition.

Brunei media said the sports ministry had picked two athletes to travel to Beijing and they underwent training. But their names were not on the IOC register when the deadline came, and it was not clear who was responsible for the blunder, newspapers said.

Brunei has never won an Olympic medal.

The sultan who is also the prime minister, finance minister and defence minister, also appointed new ministers for communications, energy, and industry.

(Writing by Jalil Hamid, Editing by Sanjeev Miglani)

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cannot win medal never mind. Brunei at least send one athelete to the Beijing Olympic games just to hold up the flag. To make a statement Brunei is a country. Many do not even know Brunei.
For me more than half of the country join the Olympic I don't even know where is it. Some heard before some never heard before.

ANDYSIAO14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some dont even know that Brunei dollars note can be use here Spore :p
all show blur cock face... :biggrin::eek::biggrin:

.....To make a statement Brunei is a country. Many do not even know Brunei......

Attachments

• duit_brunei_singapore.jpg
    duit_brunei_singapore.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brunei dollars is pegged to Sing$ exchange rate 1 to 1. Just like Euro money. Printing different but rate is same. Can use it in both country do does Sing$ in Brunei.
Both currency pegged together because last time Brunei also part of Malaysia same as Singapore but after both country split from Malaysia. Singapore and Brunei still acknowledge each other currency that pegged. Only Malaysia RM split.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
the olympics is held once every 4 years. The exact date of olympics is known donkey years ahead.. brunei cannot blame anybody if they cockup til this extend..:cool:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They can do it like SG, they got all the money in the world.
If they want FT, next Olympic they can win GOLD medal.
Last time DR. M wanted Brunei to join them, FAT hope!!

polygamous

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot win medal never mind. Brunei at least send one athelete to the Beijing Olympic games just to hold up the flag. To make a statement Brunei is a country. Many do not even know Brunei.
For me more than half of the country join the Olympic I don't even know where is it. Some heard before some never heard before.

very true, when i was young i thought brunei was part of s'pore

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too small of a country. At least they don't hire FTs to get medals :biggrin:

Brunei will not except FT,I have friends and dealers who have lived 30 years still holding Malaysian IC, it is very difficult to become Brunei citizen. Simple reason is the Government there really take good care of it's citizen. No outsiders!

1.There is no personal tax in Brunei.
2.There is no school fee to be paid, even up to University.
If you're good in your studies they will provide scholarship all paid for
local or overseas in London.
3. Medical benefit is free in their local hospital, if further medical surgical
needed for overseas treatment, Brunei Gahmen will pay for all the medical
expenses, Food and lodging be it in SG or London with Air ticket included.
4. The only tax they collect are from purchase from overseas if in large
quantity 10 - 20% can negotiate.
5. Cars were cheap compere to Singapore. So does their Road Tax Cheap!
You can test drive a BMW or Mercedes for a month before you return to
the Distibutor. I found out myself when I spoke to the salesman there.
Told him in SG you test for a kilo of 2 and the car salesman would
pressure you to buy (Close sale)
6. Their amusement park at Jerudong are FREE and carpark also free, park
all ride used to be free but now you pay a norminal fee...for maintenance
and up keep of the place!! Car park free and has got car park attendant
to guide you some more!! where to find sure a thing in this world, this
can only happened in Brunei!!!
7. The gahmen really take good care of it's people!! I really admire the Sultan
being world riches and yet has got compassion for it's people.
8. During Ramandain in the evening their palace gate is open to the public they provide porridge, on top of that ppl Q to shake hand with the Sultan will get a token $50.00 minimum, you can see long Q of ppl.

It's a privellege to become Brunei citizen!! period! on the flip side, No bars, no lady cutting hair for men, no beers, no KO, not much entertainment, you have to find your own entertainment....

All the above will never happened in Sickapoor, in Sickapoor our gahmen welcome FT but you're on your own, "Chee kee poh chong"

:eek::biggrin: :smile: :smile: :smile:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brunei was never part of Malaysia.

Brunei dollars is pegged to Sing$ exchange rate 1 to 1. Just like Euro money. Printing different but rate is same. Can use it in both country do does Sing$ in Brunei.
Both currency pegged together because last time Brunei also part of Malaysia same as Singapore but after both country split from Malaysia. Singapore and Brunei still acknowledge each other currency that pegged. Only Malaysia RM split.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very true, when i was young i thought brunei was part of s'pore

You are right. Last time Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei is under one country. Then Singapore split follow by Brunei. Sabah try to split in 70's and 80's but the Mahathir very smart will do anything to prevent that happen to Sabah.
Sabah then have the support from the Australia.
Same as Timor Lesta without Australia, Timor Lesta will not be independance.
That why Malaysia and Indonesia hate Australia.:biggrin::biggrin:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brunei will not except FT,

It's a privellege to become Brunei citizen!! period! on the flip side, No bars, no lady cutting hair for men, no beers, no KO, not much entertainment, you have to find your own entertainment....

All the above will never happened in Sickapoor, in Sickapoor our gahmen welcome FT but you're on your own, "Chee kee poh chong"

:eek::biggrin: :smile: :smile: :smile:

No entertainment, is not a big problem. they have choices drvie to Sabah for the KTV,pub and many more waiting them at the border.:p