• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Britain Football Team?

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
they dun participate in the Olympic Football Tournment,
coz at the Olympic,they enter as Great Britain - England,Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland.
previously,if they want to enter the football tournment in the Olympic,they must also enter as one single team under Great Britain.
so if for Olympic,they can enter only one united team,then FIFA will also ask them to enter one unify team for the World Cup.

but in the next Olympic - 2012 at London,UK...the 4 nations have agreed to enter a single unify team after getting assurance from FIFA that they still can maintain entering 4 individual team,they decide to enter it on their home soil.

does that apply only to soccer or other sports as well? lidat seems to be cheating to try to win more medals...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
previously,if they want to enter the football tournment in the Olympic,they must also enter as one single team under Great Britain.
so if for Olympic,they can enter only one united team,then FIFA will also ask them to enter one unify team for the World Cup.

but in the next Olympic - 2012 at London,UK...the 4 nations have agreed to enter a single unify team after getting assurance from FIFA that they still can maintain entering 4 individual team,they decide to enter it on their home soil.

Yes. The football (and also rugby) culture in Britain is particularly different from and more complicated than other sporting culture in Britain, where it's easier to integrate English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish into simply British.

One of the main reasons is that there're two established major leagues (the EPL and the SPL). Wales have their own minor league, but the major Welsh teams, e.g. Swansea, Cardiff...play in the EPL. Note that this system gives Britain the highest number of berths in ECL...4 for EPL and 2 for SCL. No other country has 6, not even Germany, Italy or Spain...they have a max of 4 each.

If Britain enter a Britain national team into FIFA or UEFA international tournaments, the English and Scottish leagues may be asked to merged.

troubledtimes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to mention Celts are generally not too keen on Anglo Saxons. I got glassed the last time I was in Ireland wearing an England cricket top!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being part of the United Kingdom, the Scots and Welsh have litte avenue of expression of national identity left, apart from football and rugby. There'll be objection and resistance from them.

pigcanclimbtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
The debate has been around for years. My sentiment is that most people will want to see a England Team rather than Team UK. Wales, Scotland, N Ireland and Rep Ireland will fancy a win over England as great as winning the World Cup

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok maverick, agree about Gareth Bale, I think he will develop into a great player.
Not so sure about Ramsey though, but must admit that I have only seen him play twice and for very short periods of time.

ok jw5..I watched him played quite a few times for spurs last season b4 he got injured...very good winger or wingback...solid running and only 17!!!! he definitely get into any brit olympic team...

jw5

Loyal
Ramseth
Can you name any Scottish player from Rangers or Celtic that you think can make a potential Great Britain team?
I can't.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Frankly, I don't know. I'm not familiar with their individual players. However, judging by their performances in the ECL (regularly Round of 16 or Quarter Finals), and by Scotland's performance in Euro 2008 Qualifying Rounds (almost knocked out France/Italy), I think there're many good players around. It's unfortunate that good Scottish players seldom get worldwide recognition and fame unless they play in England or Europe. For example, even Kenny Dalglish gained real fame not when with Celtic, but after joining Liverpool.

In any case, an Olympic Britain football team requires mostly under-23s. I can't even name any potential England under-23s. Wayne Rooney would be overaged by London 2012, but of course can still be slotted in as one of the three overaged allowed.