• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

bringing in cigarette from JB to Spore

sohbuckkong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
Regarding bringing in cigarettes in to Singapore, am I still allowed to bring in one pack of cigarettes, that is already open and with one stick thrown away, into Singapore from Johore Bahru.
Thanks

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you are a non-smoker, this sort of thing will not happen at all. Isn't it great to be nicotine free?

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope, no such thing. This "1 open pack" rule is just a urban legend.

ALL cigarettes are subject to tax, even 1 single stick. It's all up to the custom officer, whether if he wants to close 1 eye. If they want to do everything according to law, they can fault you even if you just carry 1 stick.

sohbuckkong

Alfrescian
Loyal

ALL cigarettes are subject to tax, even 1 single stick. It's all up to the custom officer, whether if he wants to close 1 eye. If they want to do everything according to law, they can fault you even if you just carry 1 stick.

I remember in the past that if it is for personal consumption, we are allowed to pass through custom with only one packet of cigarette that is opened.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi,
Regarding bringing in cigarettes in to Singapore, am I still allowed to bring in one pack of cigarettes, that is already open and with one stick thrown away, into Singapore from Johore Bahru.
Thanks

Buy in Singapore pay the tax, help the economy, help to pay for your 1st division government, who care so much for your health, to discourage you to stop smoking. :wink:

Why help another country to pay for their tobacco tax( even though low)!

Help your government, pay the tax, smoke in peace, no need to fear being caught at the customs!

So, get peace!..buy your smoke in Singapore!:biggrin:

manx007

Alfrescian
Loyal
So are we still able to bring in one packet of open cigarette back into SG? Anyway regarding the urban legend stated above, one packet of open cigarette was ok. More than one packet gave them a fucking reason to screw you. Was once being fine for bringing one extra "STICK" of cigarette into SG.

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
Thanks

as long as you smoke in yellow box or private area

if you smoke where non-smokers sit, you are asking for trouble

The MilkMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
i believe if those officers are not in a good mood,they will fine you for it.
cos no unpaid tax's cigarette is to be brought into Singapore.
normally those immigration/custom officers will close one eye but if you try to be funny or do not show them respect,then they can fine you for it.
so be very careful.

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
So are we still able to bring in one packet of open cigarette back into SG? Anyway regarding the urban legend stated above, one packet of open cigarette was ok. More than one packet gave them a fucking reason to screw you. Was once being fine for bringing one extra "STICK" of cigarette into SG.

There is no such thing as "ok" to bring in an open pack of untaxed cigarettes. 1 stick, 1 pack, 1 carton all contraband if you don't pay tax. It's entirely up to the custom officer, whether if he wants to "just follow law". Yes, there are plenty of people who managed to get through with an open pack, but don't get into this false sense of security that nothing will and can happen to you if you try to bring in any contraband cigarette/s. That's because it is illegal.

Last edited:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can bring in as many packs as you like
but don't get caught.
And if you are caught you pay the tax.

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damned, why the f88k get cigarettes from JB ? Even their Marlboro also sucks !!!

Those days when I was a smoker, I never buy cigarettes from JB. F88KING AWFUL TASTE !! Their Marlboro, Salem, Dunhill, and etc are all tainted with their local tobacco leaves - pui, pui, pui !!!

There is no such thing as "ok" to bring in an open pack of untaxed cigarettes. 1 stick, 1 pack, 1 carton all contraband if you don't pay tax. It's entirely up to the custom officer, whether if he wants to "just follow law". Yes, there are plenty of people who managed to get through with an open pack, but don't get into this false sense of security that nothing will and can happen to you if you try to bring in any contraband cigarette/s. That's because it is illegal.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damned, why the f88k get cigarettes from JB ? Even their Marlboro also sucks !!!

Those days when I was a smoker, I never buy cigarettes from JB. F88KING AWFUL TASTE !! Their Marlboro, Salem, Dunhill, and etc are all tainted with their local tobacco leaves - pui, pui, pui !!!

Concurred, they are of a different or rather adulterated grades.:o But the prices, a great difference.:biggrin:

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal

It was not a so called urban legend, it was a rule then. Did they revoke the rule, I cant be too sure about that.:confused: Cigarettes from duty-free shops in airport arrival/departure terminals are allowed in previously but not anymore. You had to declare and pay taxes when clearing excise. Sad but that's the reality of how brutal they are against smokers.:o

sohbuckkong

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was not a so called urban legend, it was a rule then. Did they revoke the rule, I cant be too sure about that.:confused: ..........o

So far, I always bought a packet of cigarette from those cruise ships, I open and throw away 1 stick of cigareette and put the packet of cigarette in my shirt pocket, I do not have any problem bringing in to spore. I always remember that for personal comsumption, I am allowed 1 packet and the defination for personal consumption means that the packet of cigarette must be open and with at least 1 stick used.

manx007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah bro me go criuse ship bring back 1 pack too. But nowadays laying low as those thirsty freak expect you to pay on the spot if they caught you. They lay on me twice in a month, and i was not working then. Explain to them i am not working and they are merciless to say that its your problem and must paid on the spot!! Was wondering if every JB guy was caught daily for their 200 a pack cigarettes, the kitty will be full in no time.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO 1 pack is ok unless they really want to clamp everybody down :(. Enjoy when u still can before the new rules kick-in in Jan 09. :wink:

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
normally i just open n smoke one stick than throw it into a hole @ my gear there than drive in, not a words from them.

BUT i no longer buy from MY le, their cig dun taste right anymore. the more i smoke MY cig.... the more sick i feel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was wondering if every JB guy was caught daily for their 200 a pack cigarettes, the kitty will be full in no time.

You will be invited to the VIP room. Woodland custom and the ferry terminal to Batam/Bintan, these are the 2 points where they check thoroughly. Please declare your cigarettes if ask to do so. Don't try to hide your cigarettes in a way to avoid detection.

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always remember that for personal comsumption, I am allowed 1 packet and the defination for personal consumption means that the packet of cigarette must be open and with at least 1 stick used.

It was not a so called urban legend, it was a rule then. Did they revoke the rule,

That's why I always say smokers can come up with a million and 1 reasons to justify their actions. When I said it?? Check my previous post if you are interested!!

Show me this "1 open pack = personal comsumption", "personal consumption = don't have to pay tax for tobacco product" law.

Why I know this for sure?? Because I have been caught before, which is more then 6 years ago. I'm a non-smoker, went into JB with 4 other friends, with 1 smoker in the group. Like you guys, the dumb smoker friend believed in the "1 open pack + 1 sticking missing" rule. So each of us non-smokers carried 1 open pack with us for him. Got caught, brought into office. Of course we argued and the officer explained to us that there was no such law!! The officer was able to tell immediately what we were trying to do and who the smoker was as his pack had more sticks missing and our only had 1. So he asked if we all want to get fine for 1 pack or will the smoker take the "blame". Well, at least the smoker had some decency to admit that all the packs belong to him. The officer gave him a discount and only fine him for 2 packs. I forgot how much, but I clearly remember he had to pay the fine/tax, gst and buy 1 "smoking cause cancer" label for each pack.

So there you have it, it up to you smokers if you want to believe this or continue telling yourself, it's ok, it alright, as long as I have my own definition of "personal consumption" I can bring in dutiable goods like nobody's business.

Last edited: