• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Body Armour

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
Noticed that the police and soldiers in Mumbai were using body armour.

I'm wondering if the singapore army actually uses body armour. They certainly didn't in my time, and I'm curious to see if they are now because body armour is standard issue in major armies now.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm wondering if the singapore army actually uses body armour. They certainly didn't in my time, and I'm curious to see if they are now because body armour is standard issue in major armies now.

ms loh bra did not help much.

Sammael

Alfrescian
Loyal

ST Engrg not making any, so cannot be std issue..... they rather spend money armouring tanks n troop movers.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

NS slave are worth very little to PAP
do you pay money to armour peanuts?

Erudio

Alfrescian
Loyal

of course got ... SAF soldiers armor si bei solid one, the way their backsides is covered is world class, coconut tree oso can't pierce !!! Solid rear armor !!!

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI. AK-47 use 7.62 calibre eqaul to GPMG.
M16 use 5.56 calibre.

So.. the body armor probably cannot take the blow of the 7.62 and penetrate thru.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
M16 use 5.56 calibre.

So.. the body armor probably cannot take the blow of the 7.62 and penetrate thru.

Depends on class 1 or 4 body armour - the highest grade can even stop armour piercing round! German army/police wear them. Looks like sectioned barrel.:biggrin:

etherc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup many types of body armor for various purposes. Material science is pretty advanced now.Many of the fiber materials used in body armor are much stronger than steel yet lighter. The impact of the shot is also reduced significantly due to absorption and dispersion of force by these new materials. There's even invisibility cloaks on the way which bend light from behind the cloak to the front using nano particles that bounce the light, creating an invisibility illusion. Want to see these here, keep waiting. The costs for these will be very high. OHS standards are very high in European countries. Life is valuable.

We are told to take cover in our training, but seriously anyone with some ballistic knowledge will know that the 7.62 round from AK 47 is stronger by the formula F= MA.This bigger round penetrates small trees.Ballistic tests show penetration power at 16 in(log) with just 1 round of 7.62. The same round can also penetrate 0.9cm of steel. In our equatorial climates, trees are usually tall with thin trucks and they form a rainforest canopy. Will the presence of body armor negate casualties to some extent? Of course.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
During combat I will shout "CHAARGE" and run slowly and let those in front shield me from bullets

Use body armour for what?

etherc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Human bodies are made of largely water and 7.62 rounds can shatter bones. In a spray of 7.62 rounds, a lot of these bullets will pass through your comrades and hit you. Unless you strap 2 sandbags on all exposed parts or carry with you a double brick wall you will die.

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never mind about taking a direct hit by a 7.62 round. Only class 4 body armour can stop a round from an assault rifle, but there is no guarantee that it will not cause internal concussion from the force of the blow to the body.

A lot of combat deaths are not from direct hits by bullets but from shrapnel. Body armour can, in my opinion, reduce casualties from shrapnel blasts to the body. That's the reason soldiers wear helmets - it can't stop a bullet, but it can protect the head from shrapnel.

If anyone is still in NS, can you ask your officers why you don't get body armour to protect yourselves?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Never mind about taking a direct hit by a 7.62 round. Only class 4 body armour can stop a round from an assault rifle, but there is no guarantee that it will not cause internal concussion from the force of the blow to the body.

A lot of combat deaths are not from direct hits by bullets but from shrapnel. Body armour can, in my opinion, reduce casualties from shrapnel blasts to the body. That's the reason soldiers wear helmets - it can't stop a bullet, but it can protect the head from shrapnel.

If anyone is still in NS, can you ask your officers why you don't get body armour to protect yourselves?

U have failed to understand that the SAF is a big expensive wayang show, intended to impress the neighbours. If u analyse it logically, u will see that. U can see the SAF does alot of jungle training and amphibious training, where in my opinion, they should be doing FIBUA training 90% of the time. I mean we are an urban jungle, where are the defences for that? Where are the coastal guns? Where are the means to turn every HDB block into a fortress against attackers.
If you say that SAF is an offensive force, intended to be used as a preventive strike force, than u need generals good in offensive ops. Do we have them? Do we really have the means to invade someone else and the experience to maintain and supply a strike force far away? The answer is again no.
The reality is that the SAF does not seriously think that it will undertake a war, whether its offensive or defensive in nature. That is why there is no body armour issued, because it will not come to that. The main purpose for the issue of body armour is to prevent death and serious injury during live firing exercises. As u know, thru the decades the SAF has lost over a thousand soldiers, and I am sure that body armour would have saved some of them. This should be the main reason for body armour, not the possibility of war. BTW, if you must know, most of our potential enemies have standardised on the NATO 5.56mm round. Not the WarPac 7.6mm.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

talking about body amour, what would happen to you if you wear a t-shirt with a huge lky picture infront and walk along the HDB estates??

will you get lynch by 33.3% mobs? :biggrin:

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
talking about body amour, what would happen to you if you wear a t-shirt with a huge lky picture infront and walk along the HDB estates??

will you get lynch by 33.3% mobs? :biggrin:

alamak, brother, you disappointed me_ I thought you were going to quote this :
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.:smile:

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal

A good ballistic vest (Level V/IV) cost around US$5000 and is capable stopping 7.62mm rounds with a muzzle velocity not exceeding 2800fps.

It is going to be a price too costly for SAF to sustain if it were to mass deploy such a piece of equipment to every personnel - NSF especially.

Traditionally, NSFs have been exceeding easy to replace with Tekong proven capable of producing "battle" fit teenagers in just 3 months and SISPEC proven capable of producing a platoon sergeant in just 6 months.

Why bother?

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
M16 use 5.56 calibre.

The AK-47 uses a 7.62x39mm cartridge with a muzzle velocity of not more then 2,400fps.

Therefore, most Level III ballistic vest wouldn't have much problem stopping it.