• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bible and history

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Luke 8:16 "No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light."

google is your friend toward knowledge acquisition and knowing facts will be like a lit lamp that will illuminate dark areas of ignorance, ambiguities and superstitions in your mental room.

so believers, you need to confront this fact, justify and test your belief with facts, not with ignorance and hearsay. your pastors and Iman will Never tell you the truth.. the real truth about your religions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_criticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textual_criticism

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Discerning Christians know the difference between biblical accounts and historical records.

That's why they call it a leap of faith.

ancient-aliens-guy-meme-collection-1mut.com-9.jpg

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Clone said:
Discerning Christians know the difference between biblical accounts and historical records.

That's why they call it a leap of faith.

True. Today, many followers take the Bible at its symbolic messages rather than for its physical meanings.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
True. Today, many followers take the Bible at its symbolic messages rather than for its physical meanings.

when science was budding in the 16th century with Bruno and Galileo, Christianity tried to strangle them down. Bruno was burnt at the stake and Galileo was imprisoned by the inquisition.

now science has evolved into adulthood, religion's ground is retreating at a fast pace, and seeing how science has dominated the modern society, religion tried to compromise by dishing out pseudo-science like creationism and Intelligent Design. coz Science is the current paradigm that will eventually root out all superstitions.

question is; how long will you compromise and be apologetic until you have to give it up?

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
do the Vatican still kill people if they say the earth is NOT flat ???......................LOL

Noah's Ark.....................a sorry excuse for a joke...................LOL

God my healer

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi, just to clarify for all to see.

Is this the 'infinite compassion' you have towards Christians that you had mentioned in the 'commandment #6 ' thread?

By ridiculing and making fun?

Your posts and LOLs indicate you are riding piggyback on the heavyweights here and are simply poking, sneering and jeering but not gainfully contributing to these discussions.

At least the other guys try to convince us of their positions.

Ya buddy, have a good laugh but it could be you might not have the last laugh.

do the Vatican still kill people if they say the earth is NOT flat ???......................LOL

Noah's Ark.....................a sorry excuse for a joke...................LOL

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi, just to clarify for all to see.

Is this the 'infinite compassion' you have towards Christians that you had mentioned in the 'commandment #6 ' thread?

By ridiculing and making fun?

Your posts and LOLs indicate you are riding piggyback on the heavyweights here and are simply poking, sneering and jeering but not gainfully contributing to these discussions.

At least the other guys try to convince us of their positions.

Ya buddy, have a good laugh but it could be you might not have the last laugh.

LOL..................don't worry....................

we Buddhists know what is real.....................and what is not real...................

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

we Buddhists know what is real.....................and what is not real...................

lol.. if you can start a buddhist's thread, then i can start blasting at it. but give me some time to do some research on it.
i dont really consider buddhist's to be a threat to human's intellect, never see them committing much hedious crimes except for those tibetan elite believers that persecute their own people.

[video=youtube;-cQ5lZkiXpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cQ5lZkiXpA[/video]

[video=youtube;fICO6tCpWq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fICO6tCpWq8[/video]

[video=youtube;ze2DVZF-Llg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze2DVZF-Llg&feature=related[/video]

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
still waiting for a talking snake or a talking ass,,,, or looking out for the generation that jesusbspoke to that they will not see death before he returned again,,,,, ooops, jesus was late and that generation all dead,,,, jesus fucking lied

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal

Only Buddhists????? and you mean people from other faiths don't know what is real or what is not real?

May be you are right...since Buddha has said there is no teaching (please I didn't say this; but merely quoted from someone here), so if there is nothing to teach certainly there is no real and no fake. Nothing is zero and remember you can add 5, 10, or 100 zeros to a zero you still get zero.

And you may be absolutely right...because Bible has said we are all like sheep (and sheep is one of the stupidest animals) and have gone astray. So, yes we - meaning truly Bible-believing Christians - do not know what is real and what is not real. That's why we need God to help us and tell us what is real and what is not real.......I am afraid I cannot go to Buddha because Buddha himself has nothing to teach....emphaise again - I didn't say this...I think it was one of your friends.

Last edited:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol.. if you can start a buddhist's thread, then i can start blasting at it. but give me some time to do some research on it.
i dont really consider buddhist's to be a threat to human's intellect, never see them committing much hedious crimes except for those tibetan elite believers that persecute their own people.

So you and your friend...God is my ???? has some fundamental problems and disagreements?

And in your opinion, so long the elite believers persecute their own people, it doesn't matter....it's still a good religion....

Last edited:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only Buddhists????? and you mean people from other faiths don't know what is real or what is not real?

May be you are right...since Buddha has said there is no teaching (please I didn't say this; but merely quoted from someone here), so if there is nothing to teach certainly there is no real and no fake. Nothing is zero and remember you can add 5, 10, or 100 zeros to a zero you still get zero.

And you may be absolutely right...because Bible has said we are all like sheep (and sheep is one of the stupidest animals) and have gone astray. So, yes we - meaning truly Bible-believing Christians - do not know what is real and what is not real. That's why we need God to help us and tell us what is real and what is not real.......I am afraid I cannot go to Buddha because Buddha himself has nothing to teach....emphaise again - I didn't say this...I think it was one of your friends.

:*::*::*::*::*::*::*::*::*::*::*::*::*:
402069_333422143357856_181068048593267_1088698_1151785410_n.jpg

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
or the church in the witch hunt, the inquisitions and the time the christians were always behind the canons,,,,

or the killing of the 1st borns?

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you and your friend...God is my ???? has some fundamental problems and disagreements?

And in your opinion, so long the elite believers persecute their own people, it doesn't matter....it's still a good religion....

a "good" religion is like an enclosed rotten egg. if you dont break it, it wont smell.
i don't recall any serious human live lost because of buddhism even though it belong to a pampered prince who got shocked, he should have seen a therapist if there is one back in those day to overcome his trauma instead of running away and hide under the tree.

unlike christianity who had burnt, hung, raped, tortured, forced conversion on an epic scale throughout the history. remember the spanish conquistadors' invasion into south america? how many natives there had died?

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tibetan Lamas are different.................they overthrew the king and then suppressed Tibetans for their own benefits.........

Chairman Mao set the people free when he invaded.................

at least Science supports Buddhism..................while Science are constantly at odds with all religions...............

even Friedrich Nietzsche said Buddhism is 100 times more realistic than Christianity..................LOL

Last edited:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
a "good" religion is like an enclosed rotten egg. if you dont break it, it wont smell.
i don't recall any serious human live lost because of buddhism even though it belong to a pampered prince who got shocked, he should have seen a therapist if there is one back in those day to overcome his trauma instead of running away and hide under the tree.

unlike christianity who had burnt, hung, raped, tortured, forced conversion on an epic scale throughout the history. remember the spanish conquistadors' invasion into south america? how many natives there had died?

There you go! Unlike Christianity.....who were those people in this 'Christianity'? Go go back again, the Vatican, the Vatican....they have nothing to do with Christianity....to many true believers of the Bible, Vatican, RC is just a institution....many Christians, true-believers don't assocate them.....Spanish....by and large they were and I think still are RC....Don't bark at the wrong tree, please....The most commonly used words by atheists to rebuke what true-believers believe are: They all; the Christianity; those priests; those Popes; those pastors. But who are 'those'...they don't represent true-believers, neither do they represent our Living God, Jesus Christ. They are just 'those' people...nothing to do with Jesus. You have to ask yourself, did Jesus went round asking money; was He given high position in the government, in the religious council, was He given a royal burial....No! Quite to the contrary....Jesus is Jesus...don't connect Him to the 'those' you mentioned. And what the Spanish invasion has to do with Jesus. Just cannot understand and cannot connect what you trying to connect.

But you still have not answered my question...you have fundamental disagreement with your friend...My God is my G....????

Last edited:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tibetan Lamas are different.................they overthrew the king and then suppressed Tibetans for their own benefits.........

Chairman Mao set the people free when he invaded.................

at least Science supports Buddhism..................while Science are constantly at odds with all religions...............

even Friedrich Nietzsche said Buddhism is 100 times more realistic than Christianity..................LOL

How can science support Buddhism when Buddha is not teaching anything and he got nothing to teach? So, is Buddha a teacher, a student....sorry...I sound very ignorant of Buddhism and I am, admittedly. I am trying to learn something....

Buddhism is 100 times more realistic than Christianity....but 100 x 0 = 0 (0 being nothing)

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is a misinterpretation.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/emptiness.html

What is emptiness?

The Buddhist notion of emptiness is often misunderstood as nihilism. Unfortunately, 19th century Western philosophy has contributed much to this misconstruction. Meanwhile Western scholars have acquired enough knowledge about Buddhism to realise that this view is far from accurate. The only thing that nihilism and the teaching of emptiness can be said to have in common is a sceptical outset. While nihilism concludes that reality is unknowable, that nothing exists, that nothing meaningful can be communicated about the world, the Buddhist notion of emptiness arrives at just the opposite, namely that ultimate reality is knowable, that there is a clear-cut ontological basis for phenomena, and that we can communicate and derive useful knowledge from it about the world. Emptiness (sunyata) must not be confused with nothingness. Emptiness is not non-existence and it is not non-reality.

What is emptiness then? To understand the philosophical meaning of this term, let's look at a simple solid object, such as a cup. How is a cup empty? We usually say that a cup is empty if it does not contain any liquid or solid. This is the ordinary meaning of emptiness. But, is the cup really empty? A cup empty of liquids or solids is still full of air. To be precise, we must therefore state what the cup is empty of. Can a cup be empty of all substance? A cup in a vacuum does not contain any air, but it still contains space, light, radiation, as well as its own substance. Hence, from a physical point of view, the cup is always full of something. Yet, from the Buddhist point of view, the cup is always empty. The Buddhist understanding of emptiness is different from the physical meaning. The cup being empty means that it is devoid of inherent existence.

What is meant with non-inherent existence? Is this to say that the cup does not ultimately exist? - Not quite. - The cup exists, but like everything in this world, its existence depends on other phenomena. There is nothing in a cup that is inherent to that specific cup or to cups in general. Properties such as being hollow, spherical, cylindrical, or leak-proof are not intrinsic to cups. Other objects which are not cups have similar properties, as for example vases and glasses. The cup's properties and components are neither cups themselves nor do they imply cupness on their own. The material is not the cup. The shape is not the cup. The function is not the cup. Only all these aspects together make up the cup. Hence, we can say that for an object to be a cup we require a collection of specific conditions to exist. It depends on the combination of function, use, shape, base material, and the cup's other aspects. Only if all these conditions exist simultaneously does the mind impute cupness to the object. If one condition ceases to exist, for instance, if the cup's shape is altered by breaking it, the cup forfeits some or all of its cupness, because the object's function, its shape, as well as the imputation of cupness through perception is disrupted. The cup's existence thus depends on external circumstances. Its physical essence remains elusive.

Those readers who are familiar with the theory of ideas of the Greek philosopher Plato will notice that this is pretty much the antithesis to Plato's idealism. Plato holds that there is an ideal essence of everything, e.g. cups, tables, houses, humans, and so on. Perhaps we can give Plato some credit by assuming that the essence of cups ultimately exists in the realm of mind. After all, it is the mind that perceives properties of an object and imputes cupness onto one object and tableness onto another. It is the mind that thinks "cup" and "table". Does it follow that the mind is responsible for the existence of these objects? - Apparently, the mind does not perceive cups and tables if there is no visual and tactile sensation. And, there cannot be visual and tactile sensation if there is no physical object. The perception thus depends on the presence of sensations, which in turn relies on the presence of the physical object. This is to say that the cup's essence is not in the mind. It is neither to be found in the physical object. Obviously, its essence is neither physical nor mental. It cannot be found in the world, not in the mind, and certainly not in any heavenly realm, as Plato imagined. We must conclude that the objects of perception have therefore no inherent existence.

If this is the case for a simple object, such as a cup, then it must also apply to compound things, such as cars, houses, machines, etc. A car, for example, needs a motor, wheels, axles, gears, and many other things to work. Perhaps we should consider the difference between man-made objects, such as cups, and natural phenomena, such as earth, plants, animals, and human beings. One may argue that lack of inherent existence of objects does not imply the same for natural phenomena and beings. In case of a human being, there is a body, a mind, a character, a history of actions, habits, behaviour, and other things we can draw upon to describe a person. We can even divide these characteristics further into more fundamental properties. For example, we can analyse the mind and see that there are sensations, cognition, feelings, ideas. Or, we can analyse the brain and find that there are neurons, axons, synapses, and neurotransmitters. However, none of these constituents describe the essence of the person, the mind, or the brain. Again, the essence remains elusive.

色之空,空之色

How can science support Buddhism when Buddha is not teaching anything and he got nothing to teach? So, is Buddha a teacher, a student....sorry...I sound very ignorant of Buddhism and I am, admittedly. I am trying to learn something....

Buddhism is 100 times more realistic than Christianity....but 100 x 0 = 0 (0 being nothing)