• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Beware: Hdb building structures might have serious problem!

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Screen%20Shot%202013-12-29%20at%203.03.52%20PM.png

Dear The Real Singapore,

My friend Terence Quek was at a friend's 15-year-old HDB flat for Christmas gathering and all of a sudden, the tiles on the floor started sizzling and then burst apart (see picture above). One of us got a minor cut by a flying piece. Now waiting for someone from Town Council to call back... Better check your floors and see if there are any irregularities. Another friend said his flat of 10 years just encountered the same thing, and HDB is giving them a goodwill renovation for their entire flooring.

I remember there is also another complaint last month by another of your reader Arman Mohd. Below is his story:

Last Saturday morning my family was frightened by loud noises coming from the floor and the tiles popping up! The floor tiles are original, HDB laid tiles.

There were terrible cracks all around the living room and even at the front door until the front door could not open properly.

We called the town council but they referred us to HDB. HDB's response was very slow and they told us that they don't work on Saturday so they will send someone on Monday.

I told them that wasn't ok as we couldn't open our door properly!

HDBfloortilespopping.png

They sent a worker (bangla) to temporarily "fix" the issue so that we could at least open our door.

On Monday, a HDB officer came and just took photos and told us that they would arrange for a contractor to come and work on it in 1 week's time.

Again I had to argue with them to take it up immediately. Only on Thursday did they start hacking the floor and yet, they are still not finished.

Instead of doing anything properly, they just made it worse and didn't even clean up after themselves:

hdbfloortilespopping2.PNG

My house is so messy and dusty. My whole family suffers "haze" in the house, especially my wife who has an allergy to dust and is having diffulty breathing.

I am still stuck waiting and am VERY disappointed.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The same thing happened at "Hotel New World" the day before the whole building crumbled to dust.

Singapore

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The same thing happened at "Hotel New World" the day before the whole building crumbled to dust.

stop spreading fears lah Leongsam.

this is due to improperly laid tiles or that the tiles were not soak with water before laying.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... was at a friend's 15-year-old HDB flat for Christmas gathering and all of a sudden, the tiles on the floor started sizzling and then burst apart ...
datz wat u get wen u squizzed 2 many ppl in a pigeon hole ... it wasnt designed 2 carry dat massif load ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With all the man made problems we have been seeing e.g. mrt breakdowns, man made flooding, mosquito,.... I wouldn't be surprised if we have a building collapsing in Spore. Especially now that they are building them taller where quality & design becomes more critical.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

this is due to improperly laid tiles or that the tiles were not soak with water before laying.

What the fuck do you know?

You not there and not seen the structure?
You talk with your arsehole and shit through your mouth?

Like all the fucking PAP bastards?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Flats built in the 1970s are the best: solid, reliable and most importantly spacious. :cool:

As years go by, HDB outsource every little damn thing, and probably used inferior materials to construct HDB flats. Consequently, such things happen.

My friend got a new flat in the Yishun area, and the list of noticeable defects exceeded two pages.

How do you like paying through your nose for home 'ownership' now, Sinkies? :wink:

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are either ignorant or telling lies to protect your masters. For the past 2 decades, tiles used in sinkapore need not be soaked in water prior to laying. You are a twit.

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal

Soaking ceramic building materials in water is a common practice. This is a necessity when laying tile that is very soft, like Saltillo tile, or low-fired, unglazed terracotta. When a tile (or a brick for that matter) is too porous, it will suck the water out of the mortar without allowing it to set properly, leaving weak bonds between mortar and tile.

Another concern is the gap between tiles (grout line).
Some may leave too thin or narrow causing tiles to expand during hot weather to crack.

That is to say, floor tiles don't need to soak in water, but wall tiles is a common practice.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you get bangla to do the work. you get shit job.

You cannot really blame the Bangla or the ah neh who does the work, you blame the contractor & HDB. The licensed contractor uses unlicensed contractor from Malaysia, you can see those Johor registered mini van at the car parks. The Bangla work under the supervision of the Malaysian contractor, but they are the LICENSED contractor workers..

Can you blame the Bangla or....??