• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Being Kiwi: Lifestyle beats money

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
printLogo.png

Being Kiwi: Lifestyle beats money

By Lincoln Tan and Simon Collins
5:30 AM Monday Sep 10, 2012

SCCZEN_A_030411cf23bop_220x147.jpg

'Wearing jandals, watching rugby' - Some of the things Kiwis say that define them. Photo / Claire Fraser

Lifestyle defines New Zealanders' sense of national identity and most of us want to stay here - even if we could earn more overseas.In-depth interviews with 91 people in five communities, marking the Herald's relaunch in a compact format, found that all except seven people were glad to live in this country.

A parallel DigiPoll survey of 750 New Zealanders found 66 per cent would choose to live here if they had a choice of anywhere in the world.

Only 11 per cent in the DigiPoll survey would choose to live in Australia, even though OECD figures show the buying power of average fulltime wages in June was 31 per cent higher in Australia - a difference that Council of Trade Unions economist Bill Rosenberg puts at $38.05 against $29.09 an hour in NZ dollar terms.

Virtually as many people, 10.8 per cent, would choose to live in Europe, and 10.2 per cent preferred a range of other countries.

The Herald's in-depth interviews, reported in a week-long series starting today, reveal that Kiwis of all ages define the typical characteristics of New Zealanders in positive lifestyle terms such as "sporty", "outdoors", "adventurous" and "friendly".

"Wearing Jandals, watching rugby, just being fun," said June Hamilton, 61, activities co-ordinator in a Rotorua rest home.

Korean mother-of-three Sujung (Sue) Kim, 41, said she and her husband took their family to the Waikato town of Cambridge seven years ago "for a rest".

"New Zealand is quite a good country for resting," she said. Most people still see the country as uncrowded, "clean and green", and safe.
"New Zealand is a little safe haven, there's no dictators or poisonous things," said Rotorua mother Dana Bolton, 35.

Dr Rosenberg said a recent Columbia University World Happiness Report rated New Zealanders' perceptions of their quality of life eighth-highest, one place ahead of Australia. "So there is something about living in New Zealand that attracts people despite the economic circumstances."

Massey University sociologist Paul Spoonley said Europe's level-pegging with Australia in the DigiPoll survey suggested people saw the poll as a "Lotto" question disregarding eco-nomic factors: "If you won Lotto, where would you live?"

He said it was surprising that only 1.6 per cent would choose to live in Asia, even though 6.6 per cent of survey respondents were of Asian ethnicities.
People under 40 were much less likely (58 per cent) to prefer living in New Zealand than those aged 40-64 (71 per cent) or 65 and over (79 per cent).
But this was largely because 14 per cent of under-40s preferred to live in Europe, compared with 8 and 7 per cent in the older groups.

<iframe src="http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/infographics/159/digipollHomeBiasSept12.html" width="460" height="529" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

M

Mdm Tang

Do Kiwi have National Conversation Panel ?

At what age a average Kiwi retires ?

tks BossSam :smile:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Carry on being lazy. You will share the same fate as the useless Moa birds when humans got introduced into the ecosystem.

mtbad6.jpg

Only this time the old world immigrants will finish you off.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ive always said that one of the greatest joys in my life is being able to go to work in shorts , tshirts and slippers

now i can add, that another of the joys in my life is being able to go to work at night, in tshirt, bernudas, and sandals

but then i don't have very meaningful jobs

Last edited:

tua lam pah

Alfrescian
Loyal
please define 'lazy'

new zealand is one of the best examples of how to live a meaningful life on earth,

singapore has long since lost it when the schools here stop teaching moral education back in the 70s

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nz n even Canada n others value quality of life in terms of enjoyment n fulfilment not like Asians measure in terms of monetary value. look at the tone of the government, always emphasizes economic growth as pre condition of everything ....like the earth will stop orbiting if no economic growth

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
nz n even Canada n others value quality of life in terms of enjoyment n fulfilment not like Asians measure in terms of monetary value. look at the tone of the government, always emphasizes economic growth as pre condition of everything ....like the earth will stop orbiting if no economic growth

yes, i agreee and as a human, one is practically worthless if cannot contribute to economic growth. as if every child, every citizen can grow up to be successful. if that's the case, who will clean up our shit, literally?

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had a lecturer at NUS from NZ. He said they have more sheep than humans down there giving a lot of gas. It makes them sluggish after breathing this gas.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I had a lecturer at NUS from NZ. He said they have more sheep than humans down there giving a lot of gas. It makes them sluggish after breathing this gas.

Wow you're from NUS, did you graduate?

Is your post supposed to me a joke because not funny la.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
please define 'lazy'

new zealand is one of the best examples of how to live a meaningful life on earth,

singapore has long since lost it when the schools here stop teaching moral education back in the 70s

for those majority who only concern is money , who hoard money , who is obsessed with money
they will never know what is the meaning of life.
their goal of life is to be able to buy those expensive cars , own a few houses , have billion in the bank ,

being contended is misconstrued as lazy , stupid.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

If Kiwis are sluggish how on earth did they win 6 Olympic gold medals vs Singapore's big fat ZERO? I have zapped you for your stupidity.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Kiwis are sluggish how on earth did they win 6 Olympic gold medals vs Singapore's big fat ZERO? I have zapped you for your stupidity.

Thats just the minority. We are talking about the majority my fren.
Kiwis are indeed sluggish when it comes to work. They love relak like you. Thats why many Asians migrated there. they want relak.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Thats just the minority. We are talking about the majority my fren.
Kiwis are indeed sluggish when it comes to work. They love relak like you. Thats why many Asians migrated there. they want relak.

Wow Leongsam, is it true you like to relak? Is it true your moving to NZ is due to your love for relak?

Come on Ganina - when one decides to move its because of greener pastures, better opportunities, a more balanced life etc, I believe for most hardworking Singaporeans "relak" is at the back on their minds when they decided to move.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Wow Leongsam, is it true you like to relak? Is it true your moving to NZ is due to your love for relak?

it depends what you mean by "relak".

If "Relak" means hanging around doing nothing then that's not me.

If "Relak" means putting a lot of time and effort into doing things you enjoy rather than working for living then I'm guilty.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me I very lazy, no drive car or ride bike or cycle.... the nearest mall is 3 min walk away for me to shop or buy grocery. MRT station and bus interchange are walking distance from where I stay. If need to makan or drink kopi, the coffee shop is just 200m away. Now can NZ offer me this kind of convenience?

kindgentleman

Alfrescian
Loyal
how can you have 'a good lifestyle' in a high crime society with no money?

haha.

you can't even rent a house securely. kids graduate and can't find good jobs. girls stand on their feet the whole day and work in shops. boys work in farms or whatever. no jobs at all. the kiwis got their blinkers on as usual...the smart ones leave for australia. most of them have never left the country anyway and know nuts about the world.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NUS, did you graduate? Is your post supposed to me a joke because not funny la.
Kinana said:
more sheep than humans down there giving a lot of gas. It makes them sluggish after breathing this gas.
Small wonder. Either this was in jest, or she did her thesis on same. Pity she missed out on cows farting methane