• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Banking & Finance (includes credit cards posting)

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Other than very low annual subscription fees for debit cards, the below article clears up which card is better for you.

Debit Card Versus Credit Card: Which Is Right For You?

June 13, 2012

Written by Ching

Do you know the differences between a debit card and a credit card?

There are many, but the main distinction is whether you “pay now” (debit) or you “pay later” (credit).

Here’s how each card works.

Debit card

It is linked to your savings or current account, and most of the ATM cards today also double as a debit card. Though you won’t fall into debt with a debit card, there are still various implications to using one.

In a nutshell, a debit card:

does not have a credit limit,
takes funds directly from the bank account whenever the card is used to make payment, and
does not allow payments exceeding the balance in the bank account.

Credit card

It is a commonly used payment method by most working adult. It allows its users to make payments through credit with the bank.

If not used wisely, it can lead to various money mismanagement problems and debts. A credit card:

has a credit limit,
allows its users to borrow money from the bank to make purchases,
has an interest-free period of around 20 to 45 days for its users to clear their debt, and
charges an interest for any outstanding balance after the said period.
Unless you are a careful, diligent spender, these cards can be very expensive with interest charges and fees.

On the other hand, because of the instant access to your bank account, fraud prevention is perhaps more important when you own a debit card. If it falls into the wrong hands, your bank account is at risk and could potentially be emptied.

https://www.imoney.my/articles/debit-card-vs-credit-card

Debit Card vs Credit Card – Part 2

July 11, 2012

Written by Ching

In Part 1, we explained how debit cards and credit cards work, as well as some of the differences between the two.
Now let’s delve in and look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of debit card vs credit card.

Advantages of debit card

• Since money is directly deducted from your savings account, there will never be any trouble with debt! Debit cards are perfect for those who always find themselves constantly in debt as you can only spend money that you have.
• It is easy to apply for a debit card. It usually only requires that you have a savings or current account with the bank. No credit checks!

Disadvantages of debit card

• While it is hard to overspend since actual money from your bank account is being used each time you swipe your card, there can be times when you might overdraw your account. This might lead to the bank charging an overdraft fee.
• Unlike credit cards, debit cards seldom have rewards programs and services.
And now we move on to credit cards.

Advantages of credit card

• Credit cards allow you to use money that you don’t have…YET. In other words, you can make purchases anytime, anywhere, as long as it is within your credit limit.
• Credit cards can improve your credit score. Punctual payment of your credit card bills can improve your credit score, which in turn allows you to obtain better rates for other loans.

Disadvantages of credit card

• Interest charges. Using a credit card is like using borrowed money and when you use borrowed money, interest charges will apply. If you don’t pay your bills on time, you might end up paying more than you think for your purchases.
• You are using money that isn’t yours. If you don’t have enough money to pay off your credit card debt at the end of the month, there is a risk that you will start building a huge pile of debt, and end up in a bad financial situation.

https://www.imoney.my/articles/debit-card-vs-credit-card-2

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couple years back i asked the front office staffs. But they decline debit cards. From then on i didnt ask anymore. Simply paid by cash..

Alliance bank or Public bank has debit cards. You can open a Malaysian saving account and then ask for a ATM which double as a debit card. But you got to activate it first at the bank.

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alliance bank or Public bank has debit cards. You can open a Malaysian saving account and then ask for a ATM which double as a debit card. But you got to activate it first at the bank.

No other choices beside paying by cash. Will consider your above suggestion. Tks bro.:smile:

transient

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello bros & sisters!
May I check if it is possible for a Singaporean to open a savings account with May Bank in Malaysia?
I was told by staff that I need to have a work permit which I don't have.
But I read somewhere that having an introducer may help??

Mainly want to use online banking to pay Cukai Harta. Pls help. Thanks so much. :smile:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello bros & sisters!
May I check if it is possible for a Singaporean to open a savings account with May Bank in Malaysia?
I was told by staff that I need to have a work permit which I don't have.
But I read somewhere that having an introducer may help??

Mainly want to use online banking to pay Cukai Harta. Pls help. Thanks so much. :smile:

Try applying CIMB in both SG and My la, easier, less restrictions, can transfer money online, pay bills, debit card to use in JB, etc.

transient

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks snowbird. I used to have CIMB in Malaysia and Singapore but have closed them due to under utilisation. Would you know if CIMB Malaysia can pay cukai harta? I am just targeting this item as I have an Alliance bank account which I am actively using to pay all bills.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks snowbird. I used to have CIMB in Malaysia and Singapore but have closed them due to under utilisation. Would you know if CIMB Malaysia can pay cukai harta? I am just targeting this item as I have an Alliance bank account which I am actively using to pay all bills.

Alliance and CIMB are both not in the list, can pay at any post office.
List of banks :

http://www.mpjbt.gov.my/ms/rakyat/e-perkhidmatan/e-bayar

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Manhattan. Did u have a May bank account in Malaysia by just showing your SPA of a property? Cos the staff insists that I must have work permit.

I am using Citibank services. Not as good interest rate for the fixed deposit, but it allows me to transfer without fees between singapore, malaysia, usa, Australia and Vietnam. A truely world bank. When I opened my account in Citibank, just need to show SPA. I tried the Maybank as well and also told to produce SPA, but I don't like their customer service attitude so I brought my money to citi.

transient

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am using Citibank services. Not as good interest rate for the fixed deposit, but it allows me to transfer without fees between singapore, malaysia, usa, Australia and Vietnam. A truely world bank. When I opened my account in Citibank, just need to show SPA. I tried the Maybank as well and also told to produce SPA, but I don't like their customer service attitude so I brought my money to citi.

LOL. I dont like May bank customer service either, but it is so ubiquitous in Malaysia! Ok thanks, I will make a trip to May bank with my SPA, if still not doable will consider Citibank. :biggrin:

alleyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL. I dont like May bank customer service either, but it is so ubiquitous in Malaysia! Ok thanks, I will make a trip to May bank with my SPA, if still not doable will consider Citibank. :biggrin:

I like CIMB. Spore br pay good daily saving interest. Whats more u can do internet trsf fm S$ to M$. Ex rate wise quite good.

smallestdog

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think I managed to pay Cukai Harta using Maybank Singapore Regionlink. So no need to open Maybank Malaysia account. If I remember correctly, there was this option available for my Maybank Singapore online banking, pay in SGD at the bank's conversion rate.

transient

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think I managed to pay Cukai Harta using Maybank Singapore Regionlink. So no need to open Maybank Malaysia account. If I remember correctly, there was this option available for my Maybank Singapore online banking, pay in SGD at the bank's conversion rate.

Many thanks! I will open an account with Maybank Singapore then. :smile: Maybank Malaysia told me it is not possible to open an account even if one has bought a Malaysia property although previously was alright.