• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

banana Malaysian Chinese having identity problem ....

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
.. cant read Chinese blame others. A cat is a cat and a dog is a dog.

A Chinese is a Chinese and cant read and write Chinese and can get offended received a letter written in Chinese. Learning to read and write any language is an acquired skill and even ang mohs have to learn to read and write their own English skills

Pathetic Malaysian Chinese and plenty of these snob duds in Singapore?

Your name's Chong? you must speak Chinese

Liberal Eleni Evangel's win over John Hyde in the seat of Perth in the weekend's state election came as a surprise to some but for one constituent, it was Ms Evangel's campaign material that provided the biggest shock.

Ms Evangel won the seat from Mr Hyde who had held it since 2001 but she did not win any support from Perth woman, Kerry Jacobs.

Mrs Jacobs received a campaign letter written entirely in Chinese from Ms Evangel in the lead-up to the election.

Kerry Jacobs couldn't tell what dialect the campaign letter was in - let alone read it.
Kerry Jacobs couldn't tell what dialect the campaign letter was in - let alone read it.

Mrs Jacobs' maiden name is Chong (she was married last year). Her parents are Malaysian and speak Mandarin but she was born in Perth and has lived here all her life.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/y...eak-chinese-20130313-2g0f9.html#ixzz2NT4HK8TX

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/your-names-chong-you-must-speak-chinese-20130313-2g0f9.html

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing wrong with that and who says angmos all can read and write their own English. There are many illiterate angmos who can't read or write their own language....it's like saying the blacks in angmo countries should be able to read and write Afrikaan or negro language.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
many banana Malaysian Chinese snobs working in Singapore with no Chinese speaking ability and yet complain they are served by PRCs speaking to them in Chinese.

I know because I know many of them in my company.

Nothing wrong with that and who says angmos all can read and write their own English. There are many illiterate angmos who can't read or write their own language....it's like saying the blacks in angmo countries should be able to read and write Afrikaan or negro language.

lorrydriver

Alfrescian
Loyal
malaysian chinese bananas mainly from KL and Penang. Rest of malaysian chinese usually can speak chinese but with their malaysian chinese slang...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks bro for the info,

I think these are the left overs from the british time only want to chekap english.

malaysian chinese bananas mainly from KL and Penang. Rest of malaysian chinese usually can speak chinese but with their malaysian chinese slang...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
many banana Malaysian Chinese snobs working in Singapore with no Chinese speaking ability and yet complain they are served by PRCs speaking to them in Chinese.

I know because I know many of them in my company.

IMHO it's not an issue. I put 2 ah nehs together one speaks Tamil the other speaks Hindi....both communicate by using English. If I had not learnt Chinese in school then I wouldn't know it. My parents couldn't have be able to teach me as they did not go to school or learnt chinese....my mother tongue is Cantonese. Most of my relatives who migrated overseas....their children all can't speak mandarin but they learnt to speak Cantonese. Even those who married non Chinese spouses....Cantonese is part of their culture but not mandarin.
Expecting every Chinese or Chinese looking person to be able to know Chinese is ridiculous. It's just like assuming very white guy to speak English.

Last edited:

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my short life I came across two friends who go to Chinese restaurant and ask for the rice to be served in a plate with fork and spoon - don't know how to eat rice with bowl and chopsticks. Both are Malaysians, both are Peranakans, in fact the male one was about to marry a Malay girl, the female one is from Malacca.

Nowadays even Ang Mor also know how to use chopsticks lah :eek:

Really tak boleh tahan these people.

crackhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are many asians who are just not proud of their roots and choose to embrace the western way of life and ignore their roots, then there are asians that will argue to the death about their culture and roots being the "best". The ang mors tend to be more open to try different things, but also I know of a few ang mors that just refuse to try local food when in SG.

so actually no right or wrongs lah....just the individual and how their brain is wired.....

btw, I was having duck rice on a plate yesterday and a PRC labourer doing renovation nearby came and have the same duck rice and sat on our table. he was eating from a plate with chopsticks and the soup spoon..... looked funny but hey, at least he wasn't hungry anymore....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree where the Pernakans are concerned, see a few struggle with dialect but Malaysian Chinese normally good with the dialect, certainly spoken.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had a supervisor from Fujian. He can't speak Hokkien. Only Putonghua. I am half Hokkien and Teochew, except for some words, I intermix the two when I speak it (quite badly). I can't speak Mandarin (even though many say its my mother tongue). In my generation, all my cousins except one flunked Mandarin (and he his half Tamil). In my dealings with PRC, all their professionals are able to speak or get by with some English. When I attend regional seminars consisting of Koreans, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesians, Pinoys - we use English.

Language skills vary from person to person, and the more you can speak, the better off you are. But if you speak only ONE tongue, better hope it is English.

Cheers!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my short life I came across two friends who go to Chinese restaurant and ask for the rice to be served in a plate with fork and spoon - don't know how to eat rice with bowl and chopsticks. Both are Malaysians, both are Peranakans, in fact the male one was about to marry a Malay girl, the female one is from Malacca.

Nowadays even Ang Mor also know how to use chopsticks lah :eek:

Really tak boleh tahan these people.
using chopsticks may be seen as a chinese cultural thing........but assuming every chink knows chinese is like expecting every chinese to know kungfu and fight like bruce lee (this chinese icon with the famous englishname also can't read chinese i'm sure)....

Last edited:

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
a chinese who cannot use chopstick just means they had a poor upbringing. i know some people who still think fork and spoon is more atas than chopsticks

whatthink

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many Sinkie who studay chinese in primary till secondary, yet they refuse to speak in chinese to each other, and some even say they hate chinese language. These is the kind of useless rubbish sinkies.

Those who can't speak chinese (Malaysian or sinkie) is because during their chidhood, their parent choose not to send them to chinese school, is not their fault for not able speaking chinese, and I know some of them do their best to learn to speak even is hard for them to read chinese character.

So understand the background before judge them.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
可以。 没问题。天下无难事 只怕有心人。

how could the women feel offended receiving a letter written in Chinese? She have problem associating with her Chinese surname?

lianbeng asked u: why not write in Mandarin here? :rolleyes: 写华文啦!

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Peranakans are assholes.

Here's an example.

[video=youtube;Zm2aFwF6L08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm2aFwF6L08[/video]

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Therefore the Singaporean Chinese are far superior to Mainland Chinese and the banana Chinese?

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
如遇到这么样的情况 (全街标志都是中文的)肯定有动机把中文学好。

[video=youtube;i8ZHAxbmvvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ZHAxbmvvk[/video]

When there is a will, there is a way. Once you encounter such a scene as in the video, where not a single sign is in English, everything is written in Chinese characters, you will be motivated to master the written language. Hongkies have no problem finding their way around mainland China, though their Mandarin sucks. Mainlanders also have no problem finding their way around Hong Kong, though their Cantonese sucks. That’s because of a shared written language. Thanks to a cruel tyrant – Qin Shihuang – the first emperor of China. He ordered books critical of his regime to be burned and dissidents to be buried alive.

Last edited: