• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Audi unveils little beauty ready to roar in hot hatch market

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once I was contemplating the VW Golf R32 but kids were still too young. So I went for the larger VW Phaeton with same engine capacity. No regrets whatsoever. The recent DSG furore has hurt VW's image somewhat but my next car will still be one of the badge owned by the group.

same as me leh !

i wanted to buy the New Beetle but later bought a 911 Turbo S - same basic design mah hor ?

ChenHaoNan

Alfrescian
Loyal
My Toyota pickup has done 230,000 km over 13 years with no issues whatsoever.

Cost is not an issue. I could afford a Merc or a Beemer easily especially in NZ when they're so much cheaper in comparison. However, I fail to see why I should reward shoddy design and manufacturing with my custom.

A car is for getting from one point to another. Don't be seduced by slick marketing campaigns. They mean nothing.

Same... I could afford a Ferrari 458 italia or Lamborghini aventador but prefer to drive a toyota vios with one year Coe to go.

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which fantasy is this? Porsche has the worse reputation for transmission failures, electrical failures and O ring seal failures. The only reliable and dependable Porsche that is anywhere near decent is the Boxster. And that means a stock Boxster, not the Boxster S. Every time I want to buy a Porsche, I have to step back in horror when i read all the stories during my research.

no such problem for me !

i've a fleet of 7 Porsche 911 Turbo S that i rotate everyday and i sell them off and but new ones way before the warranty expire !

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
20 numbers of these Ford Focus RS sold in Singapore so they are pretty rare.

Ford_focus_rs_mk2_with_pumaspeed_rs_400_bhp_kit.jpg

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is a pisai audi and only for people who cannot afford to buy the real audi and yet die die want to own an audi.

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Audi unveils little beauty ready to roar in hot hatch market

SCCZEN_150214SPLS1_620x310.jpg

5:30 AM Monday Feb 17, 2014

Cars

Audi have released details of its new S1 before its Geneva debut.

At last, the long-awaited Audi S1 hot hatch has been unveiled before its official debut at next month's Geneva Auto Show.

Available as three-door and five-door Sportback variants, as is its regular A1 counterpart, the S1 is expected to make its presence known in the fiercely competitive small hot hatch market.

The S1 will be powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine mated to Audi's proven quattro all-wheel-drive system. The combination of both drivetrain and engine (sourced from the VW Golf GTi) will allow the S1 to rocket from zero to 100km/h in a claimed 5.8 seconds and producing 170kW and 370Nm of torque.

Reports from overseas claim the S1 will have a six-speed-manual gearbox as standard. While rumours of Audi's seven-speed dual clutch S-Tronic have yet to be confirmed.

Packing a more chiselled front and rear, the S1 borrows cues from the 2011 A1 clubsport quattro concept like a bootlid black strip, diffuser and cap-on-backwards spoiler.

New LED headlights with red detailing and a wider mesh grill complete the aggressive ensemble.

The interior is carried over from the A1 with the addition of 'S' emblems, red-rimmed air vents and colour accents below the centre consol.

More will be revealed after the car's official launch at Geneva.

Actually nothing beats the Golf RS32 as an all rounder.

1. It has 4 doors and ample boot space and seats 4 comfortably

2. An all wheel drive system

3. 0-60 mph is not a good indicator of performance

Unfortunately in Singapore, the engine capacity of 3.2 litres is a huge disadvantage. But my money is on this as my favourite hot hatch.

Anyway, watch this and be impressed.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
My Toyota pickup has done 230,000 km over 13 years with no issues whatsoever.

Cost is not an issue. I could afford a Merc or a Beemer easily especially in NZ when they're so much cheaper in comparison. However, I fail to see why I should reward shoddy design and manufacturing with my custom.

A car is for getting from one point to another. Don't be seduced by slick marketing campaigns. They mean nothing.

Not bad, about 17k-18k km per year. My bloody D-Max is sitting there most of the time did only almost 8k first year. Boss change to Ranger la very nice sial the orange colour.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Which fantasy is this? Porsche has the worse reputation for transmission failures, electrical failures and O ring seal failures. The only reliable and dependable Porsche that is anywhere near decent is the Boxster. And that means a stock Boxster, not the Boxster S. Every time I want to buy a Porsche, I have to step back in horror when i read all the stories during my research.

I've been wanting to go European for the last few years simply because the Euro exchange rate has resulted in many Euro brands being cheaper than the equivalent jap model.

However, every time I pop in to visit my mechanic friend of mine who works at a high end service centre, he points to all the relatively new Range Rovers, Jags, VWs, Citroens all in for major repairs.. gearbox, drive shafts, ECUs etc.

He's the one who has always told me to stick to Toyota for trouble free motoring and so far he has not been proven wrong.

I guess a European car is part of showing off in Singapore. Those who buy it to attract the chicks and impress friends are welcome to do so. It's their money. They can do what they like with it.

In NZ, cars are not status symbols. A reliable car is a necessity because breaking down on a country road 3 hours from the nearest service centre is not a pleasant option.

To impress the chicks here, men buy fancy yachts, ply them with wine and caviar, take the chicks on a fishing trip and fuck them in the comfort of the yacht's luxurious cabin.

My dream yacht (about USD800,000) :

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Not trying to win an argument here BUT: it is useless to look at used car reliability rating because you are rating old cars and a lot of other factors come into play. eg. Toyota drivers are uncles who use the car to fetch his wife to market or his kids to schools - how badly used can the car be? On the other hand people bring their Porches/Lambos or BMWs/Audis to race circuit and have them abuse. I personally run my Audi to 200kmh for a few minutes everyday when i was commuting daily from Malaysia hence it is heavily used.

So there you go, look at the latest 2013 top 10 reliable cars:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/10/2013-consumer-reports-reliability-survey/index.htm
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/10/top-10-most-reliable-car-brands-in.html

In summary:
1) Lexus (2012: #3)
2) Toyota (2012: #2)
3) Accura (2012: #7)
4) Audi (2012: #8)
5) Mazda (2012: #4)
6) Infiniti (2012: #9)
7) Volvo (2012: #20)
8) Honda (2012: #6)
9) GMC (2012: #12)
10) Subaru (2012: #5)

I find this Consumer Reports reliability ranking a lot more balance. The one SamLeong pulls out is always saying all Japanese cars are good and all European cars are shit.

I doubt if you even own one car. u talk like you know nothing about cars. Reliability ratings by definition means that the car has to accumulate a few years of driving before one can determine how reliable it is. The reliability of a brand new car sitting in the showroom is 100%. In other words, you have to drive the car a few years to get a feel for how reliable it is. Get it or not? Reliability is also used to extrapolate. If a car model has not changed in the last 3 years, the reliability of the 3rd year car can be extrapolated to the reliability of the 6 month old car if used on the same model and make. Therefore, reliability ratings are very meaningful and yes, they have to be based on used cars by comparison.

An uncle driving his Toyota to the market to fetch his wife or take the kids to school could be a worse abuser of the car. He could be riding his breaks all the time, drag the gears, etc. You never know. The reliability of the Toyota is based on its average use over a length of time by the average driver. Also, people who bring their cars to race are not lumped in with the reliability ratings. If you know anything about closed circuit racing, you will know all these guys mod their Audis, Bimmers, Porsche, etc. I don't know one guy who has not put in an ECU, or flow thrus, enhanced braking systems, or other mods when they go racing. No one brings their stock cars to the race circuit, or they will be blown off the track. These cars are not representative of the average type cars covered under the reliability ratings.

As for your Audi doing 200km a few minutes, well that I have to see. Did you take out the governor? You know the electronic limiter? Even the R8 is limited to 232kph. Or did u not know that before u started bullshitting here?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I've been wanting to go European for the last few years simply because the Euro exchange rate has resulted in many Euro brands being cheaper than the equivalent jap model.

However, every time I pop in to visit my mechanic friend of mine who works at a high end service centre, he points to all the relatively new Range Rovers, Jags, VWs, Citroens all in for major repairs.. gearbox, drive shafts, ECUs etc.

He's the one who has always told me to stick to Toyota for trouble free motoring and so far he has not been proven wrong.

I guess a European car is part of showing off in Singapore. Those who buy it to attract the chicks and impress friends are welcome to do so. It's their money. They can do what they like with it.

In NZ, cars are not status symbols. A reliable car is a necessity because breaking down on a country road 3 hours from the nearest service centre is not a pleasant option.

To impress the chicks here, men buy fancy yachts, ply them with wine and caviar, take the chicks on a fishing trip and fuck them in the comfort of the yacht's luxurious cabin.

My dream yacht (about USD800,000) :

Your mechanic friend is right, as is my own mechanic. The European car makers are basically suckering people. The make more money doing the repairs and selling parts for all the broken down cars of theirs, models which break down after the warranty expires. In my extended family, we have owned Mercs, Bimmers, Volvos and VWs. All are nice to drive until they break down. The best alternative is now Lexus and Inifiniti. Infiniti being fairly new to Singapore. But the performance and luxury is certainly close to german levels and they are much more reliable. If u really have to buy german, than the base models like the BWW 3 series and the Mercs C class or Porsche boxster are the way to go. And you have to watch the chassis engine combo too. For example, they like to sell small block (2 litre) engines with BMW 5 series, which is just underpowering the car and will give u tranny problems down the road.

Last edited:

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for your Audi doing 200km a few minutes, well that I have to see. Did you take out the governor? You know the electronic limiter? Even the R8 is limited to 232kph. Or did u not know that before u started bullshitting here?

To be fair, I don't think he mentioned his car doing 200km a few minutes. And what do you mean by that as it takes less time to reach that speed if a car is capable of reaching past 200 kph? Most performance cars go 0-100 in a few seconds. If you mean 200 miles in a few minutes that is of course impossible as one needs to go at the speed of sound or even break the sound barrier to do that.:eek:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Maybe the 530i model. BMW M3 is usually sold here with a 4 litre engine but some models hahve a bigger capacity.

I know they make twin turbo engines in the 3 litre capacity, but I am not aware they make any supercharged engines as the poster claims.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
To be fair, I don't think he mentioned his car doing 200km a few minutes. And what do you mean by that as it takes less time to reach that speed if a car is capable of reaching past 200 kph? Most performance cars go 0-100 in a few seconds. If you mean 200 miles in a few minutes that is of course impossible as one needs to go at the speed of sound or even break the sound barrier to do that.:eek:

Why don't you read his post first?

I personally run my Audi to 200kmh for a few minutes everyday when i was commuting daily from Malaysia hence it is heavily used.