• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

At Last, A State Media Admit YOG Lacks Buzz

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is wrong with hosting YOG? What event would you host that more less covers the world albeit not to the extent of Olympics or World Cup both which cannot to be hosted by Singapore due to lack of scale.

The issue is poor leadership and organisational skills of this government. Any event of this nature should be encouraged by Singaporeans as its an opportunity to interact, learn and progress.

What makes you think Singapore has the scale for YOG?

In 2009, Singapore schools participated in Canberra in the Asia Pacific School Games. The place was packed even though Canberra is a small city. The Singapore school hockey team had the wrong shin pads ie. football instead of hockey and were gathering injuries. The parents of NSW hockey team thought Singapore was poor 3rd world country and chipped in to donate real hockey shin guards for the kids.

Singapore is not Australia. Australia is not Canberra alone. I should have thought one should figure out the gear before playing the game. Singapore couldn't even get that right.

Singaporeans used to pack the National Stadium for the Kallang Roar and there was no invitation required. Every human being looks to events of this scale.

This is poor preparation, poor leadership, poor marketing, poor marketing, poor everything. They also did not sell the games or Singapore to the participants around the world and our tourism idiots were also not there. They were most concerned with having a special lanes for VIP presumably local idiots who will attend to grace and present the medals.

Malaysia Cup in the 70-80s? Yes, no need marketing. Just beat all the Malaysian states and win the Cup and everybody would be happy. Kallang roar? Not that simple. In Malaysia Cup Finals those days when Singapore qualified, almost half of Merdeka Stadium in KL were filled with Singaporeans. It's got nothing to do with marketing or promoting international interaction. We just want beat them and willingly paid to see that happen, suffered through all the Kallang traffic jams on gamesnight, the horrendously tedious bus trip to KL before North-South Highway. It's got nothing to do with PAP or leadership organisation. That's the spirit of derby rivalries, nothing to do with pretension to grandiose, marketing, interaction, friendship exchange or what have you.

For some reason, Teo Ser Lucks having participated in Marathons and Trialotons must have indicated that this idiot can organise things. Its like asking Maradona to coach Argentina.

For some reason, Singapore schools having participated in Asia Pacific School Games must have indicated that Singapore has the scale to host YOG? Isn't that the same logic as North Korea to host the World Cup?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is your point that the organisation of YOG has been good but YOG is just too big for Singapore thus too many tickets unsold and lack of interest etc?

I beg to differ. My sense is that poor leadership and organisation is at fault. If South Africa can host the World Cup successfully, the YOG which is much much smaller should not be a problem. It might be difficult but it can be done.

They put the Games in the hands of the wrong people? If we can maintain a military across 4 continents with state of the art firepower, this is not a hard climb. Ng Ser Miang and Teo Ser Luck have not achieved anything in their life except get handouts from the government. If you know the background of TIBs you would know what I am talking about. Ser Luck nomination comes from the YPAP quota not from the brains department.

Try starting a small business without a store front and no marketing. Civil servants are the last to get it because they are salaried.

What makes you think Singapore has the scale for YOG?

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why blame the marketing? No matter how u gift wrap or accessorize a piece of turd, it will still remain .... A piece of turd.

YOG is a piece of turd. Make no mistake about that.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Marketing is the ability to sell turds. Many things in life where no competitors are involved no marketing is required.

When something cannot be sold easily such as turds, marketing is big factor. Some people fail business and in life when they can't figure out the equation.

Marketing is also the ability to sell beyond normal demand ie selling to people that don't need it. Ever seen a fountain in the middle of a 5 room HDB flat that took up half the hall.

Why blame the marketing? No matter how u gift wrap or accessorize a piece of turd, it will still remain .... A piece of turd.

YOG is a piece of turd. Make no mistake about that.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It sure looks like the $380M have been corruptly siphoned away. Hence the deathly silence!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is your point that the organisation of YOG has been good but YOG is just too big for Singapore thus too many tickets unsold and lack of interest etc?

I'm not disputing your point that leadership, organisation and marketing failed. My point is they could never have succeeded even if they're fundamentally competent because Singapore doesn't have the scale. You may dispute that of course. It's my assessment, not claimed to be a fact.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best reply I seen in years. As I have said it many times, I don't call you teflon for nothing.

By the way, you may be right - they bit off too much to chew. When you are appointed to the highest body in any association, you are expected to undertake national service of some sort. Ng Ser Miang sits on the IOC and after the President Jacques Rogge, holds the 2nd important post as Vice President together with 3 others.

Most people turn down these posts to avoid carrying the liability for their country as it may impose an unfair burden. This idiot picked it and we are now paying the price.

Unfortunately it landed on a fellow idiot to organise it. This is the same idiot that was suppose to conduct an inquiry into the Beijing table tennis debacle only to find out that the coach was not there with his player as he and the Manager was providing support to Ng Ser Miang to ensure maximum comfort, and hassle free stay during the olympics. He thus cut the inquiry short and made the mad women apologise without revealing to the nation why the manager and coach was missing.

It's my assessment, not claimed to be a fact.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
If we do not help our own needy .

We are failed as a society .

And those at the top need to wake up .

Last edited:

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal

Missing the forest for the trees?

When has the PAP help the poor? Helping themselves is more like it.

The YOG was meant to spruce their image before the world stage. But when people are suffering badly due to hardships and increases, who got the time to attend YOG games?

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not everyone agrees with this idea...
Some feel that these poor/old/needy created their own demise by gambling/prostituting/bad investments and should pay for their own mistakes..

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best reply I seen in years. As I have said it many times, I don't call you teflon for nothing.

By the way, you may be right - they bit off too much to chew. When you are appointed to the highest body in any association, you are expected to undertake national service of some sort. Ng Ser Miang sits on the IOC and after the President Jacques Rogge, holds the 2nd important post as Vice President together with 3 others.

Most people turn down these posts to avoid carrying the liability for their country as it may impose an unfair burden. This idiot picked it and we are now paying the price.

Unfortunately it landed on a fellow idiot to organise it. This is the same idiot that was suppose to conduct an inquiry into the Beijing table tennis debacle only to find out that the coach was not there with his player as he and the Manager was providing support to Ng Ser Miang to ensure maximum comfort, and hassle free stay during the olympics. He thus cut the inquiry short and made the mad women apologise without revealing to the nation why the manager and coach was missing.

The Vivacious Baron was handed the gift box first. Then he heard a ticking sound and passed it Sir Lark, who heard the sound too but thought it's a Rolex Submariner inside.

You've just explained why the PRC manager had gone missing: There was a mad woman out there.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I beg to differ. My sense is that poor leadership and organisation is at fault. If South Africa can host the World Cup successfully, the YOG which is much much smaller should not be a problem. It might be difficult but it can be done.

They put the Games in the hands of the wrong people? If we can maintain a military across 4 continents with state of the art firepower, this is not a hard climb. Ng Ser Miang and Teo Ser Luck have not achieved anything in their life except get handouts from the government. If you know the background of TIBs you would know what I am talking about. Ser Luck nomination comes from the YPAP quota not from the brains department.

Try starting a small business without a store front and no marketing. Civil servants are the last to get it because they are salaried.

i'd tend to agree.
we humans have a natural tendency to watch the best of the lot slug it out. from the ancient romans in coliseums to villagers watching cockfights...
there's something about putting top class brawns together and see them sweat blood to defeat their opponents.

even though its YOG,those kids are still much, much better than regular adults (i've seen a few of the local kids train... the cyclists doing sprints along changi village and the rowers at kallang river. they're almost superhuman)

but why the games did not get the desired response, with what seemed like a blank cheque budget and resources (every single person still in school), is really beyond me.

i can only point to lack of experience, ability and creativity among the heads. really.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's because it is not the Sinkies' Games but the Pappies' Games.

Spot on. The only people excited about YOG from the beginning are the organisers.

From the Berlin games in 1936(?) to Beijing in 2008, the modern Olympic games has always been prone to abuse as host countries flex their nationalist muscle. Fuck... I bet North Korea could host the best goddam Olympic games if they are ever allowed to.

In a month, the YOG 2010 will be hailed by the state media as a resounding success. A couple of ministers will be promoted. But life goes on for the average singaporean.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is wrong with hosting YOG? What event would you host that more less covers the world albeit not to the extent of Olympics or World Cup both which cannot to be hosted by Singapore due to lack of scale.

The issue is poor leadership and organisational skills of this government. Any event of this nature should be encouraged by Singaporeans as its an opportunity to interact, learn and progress.

In 2009, Singapore schools participated in Canberra in the Asia Pacific School Games. The place was packed even though Canberra is a small city. The Singapore school hockey team had the wrong shin pads ie. football instead of hockey and were gathering injuries. The parents of NSW hockey team thought Singapore was poor 3rd world country and chipped in to donate real hockey shin guards for the kids.

Singaporeans used to pack the National Stadium for the Kallang Roar and there was no invitation required. Every human being looks to events of this scale.

This is poor preparation, poor leadership, poor marketing, poor marketing, poor everything. They also did not sell the games or Singapore to the participants around the world and our tourism idiots were also not there. They were most concerned with having a special lanes for VIP presumably local idiots who will attend to grace and present the medals.

For some reason, Teo Ser Lucks having participated in Marathons and Trialotons must have indicated that this idiot can organise things. Its like asking Maradona to coach Argentina.

In essence, why would not Singaporeans attend if the event creates buzz and excitements, brings the world together as a result of good organisational effort.

At risk of flogging a dead horse here, but I have to say that even the best organisation skills can't save a lost cause.

Please respect the intelligence of the international sporting community. There is a good reason why US and UK aren't taking this seriously and fielding their atheletes for this event.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
just want to comment on something on the advertisment in the radio regarding the giving way to YOG vehicles in the give way lane..

anyone one tuning in the radio e.g. class 95 should sometimes hear the advert of of a young girl talking to his father on the YOG. i couldn't remember the exact wordings but the ending sonds like this :

father to daughter : train hard and one day you may be in the YOG next time.

however, recently, the advert had change from the aboved sentence to this:

father to daughter : train hard and one day you WILL be in the YOG next time.

i'm glad that the relevant bodies realised that the first sentence is very disencouraging to sg ppl for those who are interested in sports.

jw5

Loyal
I don't think SG lacks the scale to host the YOG, if lack of scale means the lack of infrastructure including accommodation, transport, venues or stadiums, officials, budget (!!!), media coverage, etc. SG is not lacking in any of these, even if it means inconveniences for the daily lives of ordinary people.

The problem is that over the years, the government has come to assume that when they say something is great, everybody should play a part, everybody should buy tickets, it's a once-in-a-lifetime event, it's a resounding success, it's glory and honour for the nation, people will simply accept it and respond accordingly.
They have taken for granted that their word is the only and final word.

Whatever the outcome, perhaps their corporate communications department will still make it a resounding success. And life will go on happily for all of them.

Last edited: