• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Asia could recover in Q2

surespam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jan 13, 2009
Asia could recover in Q2
By Alvin Foo
MASSIVE policy responses and a sharp fall in commodity prices should fuel an economic recovery in Asia, which could come as early as the second quarter this year.

Thus, the region could see a V-shaped recovery, but it would not be as fast as the rebound from previous crises.

This latest view came from HSBC on Tuesday at a media briefing on its Asian outlook for 2009.

'The cavalry is on its way in the form of the most significant policy response ever,' said its senior Asian economist Robert Prior-Wandesforde.

There could also be light at the end of the technical recession tunnel for Singapore.

Lower inflation due to falling commodity prices, a supportive policy environment with expected fiscal easing and improving regional trade are set to fuel an end-2009 recovery.

On the financial markets front, HSBC expects continued volatility in Asian stocks for the year, expecting regional markets to end either 10 per cent higher or lower from their current levels this year.

But it added that 2009 will be nowhere near as bad as 2008, when Asian equities plunged by 53 per cent.

It urges investors to stick to 'a portfolio of blue-chip household-name stocks', which 'should give decent upside during the upswings, but avoid excessive downside risk during the corrections.'

HSBC analyst Garry Evans added: 'Our advice is that investors should take a little cyclical exposure while sticking to quality.'

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Money/Story/STIStory_325583.html

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think it will be that fast. To be more realistic, I think for Asia's economy, the earliest recovery will be early next year and latest will be sometime late in 2010 or even 2011. It all depends on the situation in the US, Europe, China and Japan side.

RealSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think it will be that fast. To be more realistic, I think for Asia's economy, the earliest recovery will be early next year and latest will be sometime late in 2010 or even 2011. It all depends on the situation in the US, Europe, China and Japan side.[/QUOTE

i think sould be Q3 or Q4. but one thing is for sure singapore is the last in Asia to recovery or may not be able to recover. as for the reasons there is many. i am buying into other currencies, i have no confident in sgd. trust me, once LKY die all our problems will emerge and most investors will pull out and shift their asset else where.

remember this: less than 3 years after lky die, sgd will depriciate and most foreign investors gone.

years later u will not think i am rubbish.

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think sould be Q3 or Q4. but one thing is for sure singapore is the last in Asia to recovery or may not be able to recover. as for the reasons there is many. i am buying into other currencies, i have no confident in sgd. trust me, once LKY die all our problems will emerge and most investors will pull out and shift their asset else where.

remember this: less than 3 years after lky die, sgd will depriciate and most foreign investors gone.

years later u will not think i am rubbish.

Yes you got your point, but with the strong foundations Singapore has laid and all the good business ties our great PAP government has done, I believe the situation won't be as bad as what you think. Singapore will continue to prosper and grow even LKY is death.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes you got your point, but with the strong foundations Singapore has laid and all the good business ties our great PAP government has done, I believe the situation won't be as bad as what you think. Singapore will continue to prosper and grow even LKY is death.

Great to hear that you have become a reliable fortune teller for the PAP, dude.

:p

JadedBeach

Alfrescian
Loyal
Q2??? who are they kidding?

am laying my money on 2 to 3% contraction and recovery in Singapore will not happen until end 2009 (if LUCKY).

financial institutions are now just beginning to take a break and the baton will be handed over to corporates. we will see huge names fall in 2009. Anyone would like to lay a bet on Sembcorp Marine?

capital markets will only regain moderate activity sometime in 3Q09 i.e. liquidity and lending will only begin to recover then. and let's keep our fingers crossed that no further "outlier" shocking events occur to deter global economy's recovery.

juz beach

Jan 13, 2009
Asia could recover in Q2
By Alvin Foo
MASSIVE policy responses and a sharp fall in commodity prices should fuel an economic recovery in Asia, which could come as early as the second quarter this year.

Thus, the region could see a V-shaped recovery, but it would not be as fast as the rebound from previous crises.

This latest view came from HSBC on Tuesday at a media briefing on its Asian outlook for 2009.

'The cavalry is on its way in the form of the most significant policy response ever,' said its senior Asian economist Robert Prior-Wandesforde.

There could also be light at the end of the technical recession tunnel for Singapore.

Lower inflation due to falling commodity prices, a supportive policy environment with expected fiscal easing and improving regional trade are set to fuel an end-2009 recovery.

On the financial markets front, HSBC expects continued volatility in Asian stocks for the year, expecting regional markets to end either 10 per cent higher or lower from their current levels this year.

But it added that 2009 will be nowhere near as bad as 2008, when Asian equities plunged by 53 per cent.

It urges investors to stick to 'a portfolio of blue-chip household-name stocks', which 'should give decent upside during the upswings, but avoid excessive downside risk during the corrections.'

HSBC analyst Garry Evans added: 'Our advice is that investors should take a little cyclical exposure while sticking to quality.'

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Money/Story/STIStory_325583.html

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure, there will be V-shape recoveries. Several V-shape recoveries. but these will just be short-lived flash-in-the-pan type recoveries. The overall trend is still down for at least another 2 years, although not as sharp and drastic as 2008. The doctors have presribed the necessary medicines to address the symptoms, but the illness must take time to run its course before the patient can recover.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think it will be that fast. To be more realistic, I think for Asia's economy, the earliest recovery will be early next year and latest will be sometime late in 2010 or even 2011. It all depends on the situation in the US, Europe, China and Japan side.
wif ze best paid gahmen, v shud c a recovery much faster dan dat ... anyting less dan dat is totally unacceptable by their high standards ... us, europe, china n japan shud juz step aside ...

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... with the strong foundations Singapore has laid and all the good business ties our great PAP government has done, I believe the situation won't be as bad as what you think. Singapore will continue to prosper and grow even LKY is death.
yes, of cos ...

wif peasants tol off nt 2 b reliant on ze gahmen anymore ... dey can oni b more self-reliant n creatif ... sg wil continue to prosper and grow ... n @ a much faster rate dat makes all previous achievements pale miserably in comparison ...

Last edited: