• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are ill maintained FT restaurants a ticking time bomb?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man's legs burnt in fire at restaurant

20130402.092723_fire_my.jpg

This partition in Zay Yar Restaurant on the third floor of Peninsula Plaza was blackened by the fire yesterday. An explosion was heard earlier.

By Winona Wee
My Paper
Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out at a third-floor restaurant in Peninsula Plaza yesterday afternoon, leaving one man with burns on both legs.

The victim, in his 20s, is said to be a member of the staff at the eatery, Zay Yar Restaurant, which sells Myanmar food. He was taken to Singapore General Hospital.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that it received a call at about 12.40pm. By the time its officers arrived minutes later, shoppers and retail staff had evacuated the building, which is situated in North Bridge Road.

The fire, which witnesses said followed an explosion, was contained within the cooking area of the restaurant.

Office staff working in units near the restaurant told My Paper that they heard an explosion and felt the building shake.

Senior marketing manager Fahim Khandoker, who was working a few doors away, said: "Partitions in my office shook, so we quickly evacuated the building. We could also smell gas."

Mr George Rewa, 52, who was working in the office of a real-estate agency nearby, said: "Everyone was shouting 'run', so I evacuated without even locking my office."

The SCDF said that the cause of the fire is being investigated.

Get My Paper for more stories.

pic2.jpg

t is believed to have been caused by a gas explosion in the shop selling Myanmar food
pic3.jpg

The fire left one man with minor injuries.
pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

The Singapore Civil Defence Force said members of the public self-evacuated the building before their arrival.
pic7.jpg

The fire was put out by an internal sprinkler system that was activated.
pic8.jpg

The Straits Times found about 100 employees and members of the public gathered outside the building after the incident, which took place at about 12.40pm.
pic12.jpg

pic13.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pic7.jpg

In Myanmar, life is cheap and expendable.

Burmese people can die by the boatloads and I won't give a shit. As long as no Sinkies died that's fine.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wtf do burmese ppl eat exactly. Now when i think about it i cannot name 1 burmese dish.

I only know one dish, that is some kind of noodle, very spicy, with shredded was it beef or chicken I forgot, I love that dish for the taste & the chillies. I think the spiciness attracted me. I ate this at the very first Myanamese food stall at the food court in High Street Centre, going back there, till the shop closed down. This was sometime ago, in that food court was one of the best Northern Indian Food.

I have been to Peninsular Plaza many times, & really wondered about the number of Myanmese eateries mushrooming all over the place, fact is have eaten there & even tried the basement food court.

For an accident like that to happen at the eatery there, can only point to one thing, SCDF, NEA & BCA are sleeping on the job, especially SCDF. They must have lapses in their check.

They are only present during 'collection' time, like a certain people New Year, end of the year, before their bonuses time. In order for the eatery to start, they must have clearance from BCA, ( or URA), NEA, PUB, SPF ( SINgapore Police Force) & SCDF & approval from the building management. Some nagging thoughts that many of these "mushrooming" eateries...have slipped under the radar & authorities must have closed an eye, for Myanmar is now our new 'friend'...that is why "cousin thorny' is there now.

Surely the building with approcal from BCA, must have some zoning...do not think, there should be so many eateries...the building wasn't planned, approved & built for that purpose.

With the greed for money..now we have to be careful wherever we go...no need people with ill intention to blast the place..our incompetency will "blast" you to death..while eating!!

One more thing, the recent fire at Aliwal Street...the "pros press" dare not mention that, it was a worker's dormitory. Hadn't MOM & SCDF & URA & BCA weeded out illegal worker's dormitories from these shop houses? there used to be many in Joo Chiat, Geylang, Beach Road area..ah! Changi Road..
??

we are sleeping again...fire!

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You guys will be surprise to know that most of those companies with safety lapse are those who churn out safety messages like, "Go to work safe, come home safe" day in and day out.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You guys will be surprise to know that most of those companies with safety lapse are those who churn out safety messages like, "Go to work safe, come home safe" day in and day out.

Same with tug boats moored together & catches fire....You will be sure that, what you had mentioned, have plenty of work safety posters all over the place...from MOM & work safety briefing every day...& work safety officers or managers or...... MONEY determine the safety!

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Same with tug boats moored together & catches fire....You will be sure that, what you had mentioned, have plenty of work safety posters all over the place...from MOM & work safety briefing every day...& work safety officers or managers or...... MONEY determine the safety!

Yes brother. Seems that you notice also. Plenty of bullshit in the safety line in Singapore. End of the day, it is the money.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes brother. Seems that you notice also. Plenty of bullshit in the safety line in Singapore. End of the day, it is the money.

If you were to bring these people to task, you will be stonewalled for they are so well rehearsed to cover their inefficiencies, unless the disaster is one of a magnitude, then a few "scapegoats" will be sacrificed & a committee formed to look into the lapses & their duty is to clean the shit to present to the public..aka as "wayang".

Why stonewalled?, the safety officer most likely be a FT, who had been sent to MOM approved courses & obtained MOM certification for safety, not to mentioned SCDF etc...on their office walls you will see them displayed. They will follow the procedure to the letter, & day in day out going through the motion, like passing motion. But, proficiency is not needed, only efficiency & just doing their jobs; complete, end of the day go home, end of the month collect the SGD & then convert to IDR, PHP, CNY, etc. just doing their jobs!. Certified...you get it cheap..MONEY!

Last edited: