• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone tried Gandhi beer?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a drinker of craft beers, am and interested to taste this brew! Anyone know if this beer is imported to Sg? And if so, where can it be bought? Some might say its gimmicky, but then, its just part of a marketing plan. I think the brewery should at least pay a certain percentage to the estate of the person they used the name for promoting their booze, at least that's fair.

Cheers!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/u-s-brewery-apologizes-for-gandhi-bot-beer-1.2173393

U.S. brewery apologizes for 'Gandhi-bot' beer

Stephen Singer, The Associated Press
Published Monday, January 5, 2015 3:13PM EST

HARTFORD, Conn. -- A Connecticut brewery has apologized to Indians offended that the company is using Mohandas Gandhi's name and likeness on one of its beers.
New England Brewing Co. sells an India pale ale it calls Gandhi-Bot. The label features a cartoon image depicting a robot version of the late Indian leader, who favoured prohibition.
"We apologize to any Indian people that find our Gandhi-Bot label offensive. Our intent is not to offend anyone but rather pay homage and celebrate a man who we respect greatly," the company wrote over the weekend on its Facebook page.

The brewery's website promotes the Gandhi-Bot beer, which has been distributed about five years, as "fully vegetarian" and "an ideal aid for self-purification and the seeking of truth and love."
Critics in the U.S. and India have complained about the commercial use of Gandhi, revered for leading India to independence through nonviolence.
Proloy K. Das, a Hartford lawyer, tweeted that Connecticut "should be ashamed to be home" to New England Brewing.
He told The Associated Press that the issue is not just the use of Gandhi's name, but also his depiction as something comparable to a robot. "There's really no spin you can put on this," he said.
New England Brewing referred questions to its posting on Facebook, where it also urged users not to use its page to argue with those upset by the label.
"We want to do our best to be culturally sensitive and respectful," the brewery said.
New England Brewing posted its apology on Saturday, at about the time criticism began mounting. Newspapers in India reported that a lawyer has brought a case against the beer company in Hyderabad, saying the use of Gandhi's image violates Indian law as an insult to the nation's honour.
State Rep. Prasad Srinivasan, a Republican who is from India, said he was "beyond appalled" at the use of Gandhi's image.
"How this celebrates the apostle of peace by putting his image on a beer can boggles one's mind," he said.
Tushar Gandhi, the Indian leader's great-grandson, said Gandhi "abhorred alcohol drinking" and spoke against it, The Telegraph newspaper reported. Gopalkrishna Gandhi, Gandhi's grandson, was quoted as calling the use of his image "crass and silly."

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
86dfb7aca8f1d2d9fbec61da7ce891e4_zps4e302ed4.jpg

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, drinking beer is safer than drinking water, depending on the source of that water, and how it was handled. In my early working days, I travelled to some ulu places in Indonesia and was advised to eat only freshly cooked food and NOT to drink teh/kopi/milo that was made with water from taps, but beer was okay because it was made with water that was purified. One problem, many of these ulu places didn't have electricity and thus there was no refrigeration, so I got used to drinking room-temperature beer! Ice was available in some coffee/drink shops, but we don't trust the ice. So, it was tepid Beer Bintang.

Cheers!

Anyone want diarrhea?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is funny and were they to make fun of some chinese leader say mao for example nobody would bother to apologize.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
obviously these beer makers are mistaken,if they have done the adequate research they would have known that alchohol drinking causes overturning of police vehicles and arson.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Chinese society is open enough to laugh at themselves and their leaders, their focus and attention is on other issues more directly related to them than some iconic persona, and most of her peoples (Chinese) will take it as an honor instead of an insult like this case reported here. Actually, Mao would be a cool name for a beer (definitely will grab more attention than Xi or Deng!) Important thing is that it has to taste good! Home market enough, no need to think of export.

Cheers!

This is funny and were they to make fun of some chinese leader say mao for example nobody would bother to apologize.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Overturning vehicles, arson, and similar acts of vandalism are caused by outbursts of pent up frustrations, not by booze. Otherwise there will be riots every night at places like Clarke/Boat Quay. The Little India case was too quickly glossed over by the authorities who just wanted to show that they will act quickly. The banning of public drinking in Singapore's context takes away the only recreational/relaxation available to the lower end of society and penalizes most innocent people who now have nowhere to go for their leisure hours, they are unable to afford drinking in pubs and gathering in food courts by them will be a no-no by the rest of society. It does not affect me, I drink at home, but somewhat feel for the labourers who don't have a place to drink and chat with buddies.

Cheers!

obviously these beer makers are mistaken,if they have done the adequate research they would have known that alchohol drinking causes overturning of police vehicles and arson.

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone should make lky beer.
bitter and dark to the core.
if you cannot finish the bottle, you get sued.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Chinese society is open enough to laugh at themselves and their leaders, their focus and attention is on other issues more directly related to them than some iconic persona, and most of her peoples (Chinese) will take it as an honor instead of an insult like this case reported here. Actually, Mao would be a cool name for a beer (definitely will grab more attention than Xi or Deng!) Important thing is that it has to taste good! Home market enough, no need to think of export.

Cheers!

Ya but you see the problem is people take that as a weakness to chinese people. The point i am trying to make is why are people so sensitive to the feelings of these shit skins but not to chinese. It's like you have to cater to their every whim.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a lager isn't it? I think for most of us, we get used to the beer we drink often, so if one consumes Singha often, it becomes one's "regular" brew. Example, most Singaporeans are used to Tiger, and that is what a beer should taste like to them, and chances are if they are presented with something that doesn't taste like Tiger, there is a possibility they will not favour it. I remain open to the various brews I come across although there are some that I certainly just don't agree with, but most 5% lagers (Tiger, Casrlsberg, Heineken, Anchor) I am used to them. Have recently taken a liking to dark/amber beers, but they are not very common and not found in every pub.

Cheers!

Singha best lah

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I can't influence how others treat people, I only account for myself, and treat a person as a person, no matter what race, religion, or gender status he/she/it is. If the time is available, I will sit and drink with any bloke through a couple of brews. Every race has got their share of cool guys and assholes, and I choose not to stereotype anyone (except for jokes). A white Yank once said, not every black man is a Nigger.

Cheers!

Ya but you see the problem is people take that as a weakness to chinese people. The point i am trying to make is why are people so sensitive to the feelings of these shit skins but not to chinese. It's like you have to cater to their every whim.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...chances are if they are presented with something that doesn't taste like Tiger, there is a possibility they will not favour it. I remain open to the various brews ...recently taken a liking to dark/amber beers, but they are not very common and not found in every pub.
Familiarity with home brews maybe, but do think it's par for the course that one shd try local brews when visiting. Be it Bintang, Singha, Angkor.

Never quite liked yank beers like Bud, nor OZ's (feel latter far too carbonated). But got soft spot for Czech beers. Euro beers are so provincial

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
steRe: Anyone tried Gandhi beer?

Tastes in beer is very individual. For a long time, only a handful of brands were available in Singapore, (I think Tiger and Anchor only, Carlsberg and Heineken even were rare), but now there are lots, with some microbreweries even. But despite the seemingly large number of brands available, it still pales in choices when compared to say, USA or Canada where craft beers have seen exponential growth recently. Coming back to Singapore, even with growing numbers of different brands, most drinkers stay with what they've grown up with and gotten used to, hence Tiger remains the undisputed best selling brand in Singapore. Myself, I just like to try something different when available, but on a regular basis, will most likely choose the more economical brands as I booze quite often, so it is still Tiger or Anchor for me. Whenever I pass by Liang Court, I would drop by the craft beer store on the 2nd floor (Thirsty.com) and purchase a six or twelve, and whilst there, I'd take that opportunity to select a brown or amber beer as I can't get those in 7-11 or supermarkets. If I were in a foreign country, I would sample their national brand, hence it will be Bintang in Indonesia or Chang in Thailand, but in China, there are so many brands, I just order what I see on the menu, or follow the chap next to me. Haven't been to Czech Republic. Read somewhere that they're the largest per capita booze drinkers in the world! Have had Czech beer before, can't remember its name, Charlie's Corner in Changi I think.

Cheers!

Familiarity with home brews maybe, but do think it's par for the course that one shd try local brews when visiting. Be it Bintang, Singha, Angkor.

Never quite liked yank beers like Bud, nor OZ's (feel latter far too carbonated). But got soft spot for Czech beers. Euro beers are so provincial