• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone knows of jobs in NZ or regional AUS?

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can get NZ PR under the skilled migrant programme if I can get a job offer. Same for reigonal AUS, if an employer is willing to sponsor me.

Anyone knows of any jobs for a twenty plus male with a business degree with great English. Hardworking and mature. Don't mind stand-on-feet-whole-day jobs as long as I can get PR. :smile:

Or does anyone know of any agents who can find me a job?

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Uncle Sam and Buff,

The culture over there is different you know. They hire their locals first. When that is not available, they prefer the Brits or Yanks. Only when that is not available, then they will think of someone like myself. And it is really really hard to get a job when you are not in the country and people can't even meet you face to face except for over Skype. And there are so many Brits moving to Oceania to escape their small houses, terrible weather and problems back home.

I don't think I am less capable than most Yanks and Brits, but I need a job offer. Sigh...:(

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The culture over there is different you know. They hire their locals first.

If you speak English well and tone down the Singapore accent¹, you should have no problems finding a job.

¹ EG: Pronounce "8" as "ate" and not "et".

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you speak English well and tone down the Singapore accent¹, you should have no problems finding a job.

¹ EG: Pronounce "8" as "ate" and not "et".

C'mon, there is no such thing as a Singaporean accent. There are so many kinds of accents in Singapore. The one you mentioned is not even an 'accent' it is just broken English used by Mandarin speaking Singaporeans. Call a spade a spade, it is just illiteracy. These people can't even read a newspaper article or write using basic grammar. They are simply illiterate. In fact, the generally low standard of literacy in SG is one of the reasons that prompts me to move. I don't know how long I can put up with this nonsense. In the USA, 80% of people have High school (A levels) and above as their highest educational attainment. In Singapore, 60% of people have Primary School and below education. Despite all the whitewashing, S'poreans are still a largely illiterate and lowly educated bunch of people. :rolleyes:

I am a young English speaking Singaporean. I definitely have a Singaporean accent like this girl but it is not the S'porean accent you are thinking about.

[video=youtube;osWEX9EFTg4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osWEX9EFTg4&playnext=1&list=PLB64FF51FBC5FB2C8[/video]

Last edited:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Uncle Sam and Buff,

The culture over there is different you know. They hire their locals first. When that is not available, they prefer the Brits or Yanks. Only when that is not available, then they will think of someone like myself. And it is really really hard to get a job when you are not in the country and people can't even meet you face to face except for over Skype. And there are so many Brits moving to Oceania to escape their small houses, terrible weather and problems back home.

I don't think I am less capable than most Yanks and Brits, but I need a job offer. Sigh...:(

well u are a smart guy. u can figure it out.

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
well u are a smart guy. u can figure it out.

Well thanks Fishbuff. I am far from being smart. I am just another homo sapien monkey living in a 20km by 40km city in this planet called Earth, out of gazillion of planets in this universe. Tick tock tick tock, we all die one day, be it in a hospital bed after a heart attack or being hit by a bus while crossing the road. We are that vulnerable and weak.

I think we have talked online before a long time ago. You used to be involved in strongmen competition and back then I was quite interested in bodybuilding and losing weight so we exchanged a few posts online in one of the forums. I no longer go to the gym I am a lard ass now haha.

I can still remember how you worked a full time job in IT while studying two IT degrees from UOL External. You do seem like a genuinely nice guy so I sincerely hope everything turns out well for you no matter where you are.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
C'mon, there is no such thing as a Singaporean accent. There are so many kinds of accents in Singapore. The one you mentioned is not even an 'accent' it is just broken English used by Mandarin speaking Singaporeans. Call a spade a spade, it is just illiteracy.

No such thing as a Singapore accent??? You have to be kidding. My sinkie detector picks up sinkies in a foreign land in less than 5 seconds. The accent is unmistakable. It stands out like a sore thumb.

Listen to the ladies in this video. These aren't illiterate sinkies. One of them may be a bit of a bimbo but "English" is pretty much her primary language and it's how most Singaporeans of her generation speak.

Notice how "need" becomes "nid", "something" becomes "samting", "through" is pronounced as "true", "make" becomes "mek", "think" becomes "tink" and so on.

One of the distinguishing characteristics of the Singapore accent is the lack of distinction between short and long vowels and the inability to pronounce "th" which invariably ends up being pronounced "d" or "t" depending on the context. Another unique feature is the lack of distinction between stressed and unstressed syllables as in "geography", "photography" and so on.

One of the biggest confusions I've witnessed personally was when a Singaporean lady was giving a demo on how to bake the Asian way. Nobody could understand what "flar" was. She repeated it over and over again throughout the demo. It was only when someone in the audience asked her to spell it did everyone realise she was saying "flour". :smile:

The Singapore accent is alive and well and is difficult for OZs and Kiwis to understand simply because they aren't used to it.

If you want to become a "citizen of the world", one of the first steps is to acknowledge the fact that EVERYONE has an accent. The "I don't have an accent" attitude is frog-in-a-well stuff at its very best.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W7-5aSH-Ghg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>​

buzzlightyear

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wrote 'there is no such thing as a Singaporean accent'. And there is indeed no one Singaporean accent but a myriad of accents. There is a more Malay sounding accent like that of Hady Mirza, Mandarin sounding accent like that of Goh Meng Seng's and Xiaxue's, Indian sounding accent, Hokkien sounding accent like that of Goh Chok Tong's, more English speaking sounding accent like that Lee Hsien Loong's and myself ...the list goes on and on. They are all Singaporean accents. Lee Hsien Loong speaks with a Singaporean accent, just like Xiaxue does. Just different accents that is all.

It the same in Britain where there are Welsh, Scottish, Cockney etc accents.

The 'Singaporean accent' you keep harping on is that of non fluent English speakers. As I said, they are simply not fluent in the language. The way Xiaxue pronounces her words is not even extrapolated to other Chinese speaking Singaporeans. Some pronounce make as 'mek', others pronounce it as 'mak', others as 'ma-ke'. They are simply not fluent in the language because it is not their main language.

You won't find me denying that the general standard of English in S'pore is poor. That is one of the main reasons why I am looking for jobs abroad!

Here are a few Singaporeans speaking with very different Singaporean accents. But if you close your eyes, you can identify them as being from Singapore. You can even tell what is their main language, what is their background and what is their ethnicities.

[video=youtube;fKlHr5sNA2k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlHr5sNA2k[/video]

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well thanks Fishbuff. I am far from being smart. I am just another homo sapien monkey living in a 20km by 40km city in this planet called Earth, out of gazillion of planets in this universe. Tick tock tick tock, we all die one day, be it in a hospital bed after a heart attack or being hit by a bus while crossing the road. We are that vulnerable and weak.

I think we have talked online before a long time ago. You used to be involved in strongmen competition and back then I was quite interested in bodybuilding and losing weight so we exchanged a few posts online in one of the forums. I no longer go to the gym I am a lard ass now haha.

I can still remember how you worked a full time job in IT while studying two IT degrees from UOL External. You do seem like a genuinely nice guy so I sincerely hope everything turns out well for you no matter where you are.

or ... someone can create a company in AU/Oz, and hire you based on your bilingual/math/science skills to teach some of the asian family kids here. now that is one way to beat the system.

junkyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam's done one spoon feeding. Here's another: your perception that they hire locals only is 100% incorrect.

We kiwis hire face-to-face.

Regardless of race. Or nationality.

The biggest plunge all sinkies refuse/cannot/fail/arescared/flop to take is taking the time to come here with interviews lined up upon arrival.

Some came with nothing for 6 weeks and failed. When I came, I had 12 interviews across 10 working days.

Like Sam said, when you've reached a milestone of being able to help yourself, I'll check back.

junkyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be very difficult to get a job offer if you haven't obtain the Aus/NZ PR.

False.

Break the catch-22:
- One needs a job offer to add sufficient points to satisfy the skilled migration PR application points system
- One needs PR to obtain a job offer

Break the 2nd one face to face. So what if there are no guarantees employers will offer before PR? Swamp the chances with interviews!

BTW, I didn't do it alone. I had another sinkie who was prepared to spend 6 months in NZ hunting (do or bust), but got it in 7 working days (9 interviews across then). No qualifications, btw, earning a degree holder's job.

Here's a 3rd spoon feed: if we kiwis prefer interviewing/offering face-to-face, it follows that we prefer not to call overseas. Skype has wonderful and cheap services these days compared to days back then: there are now ways you can set up a local kiwi number and have it forwarded to your mobile.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
BTW, I didn't do it alone. I had another sinkie who was prepared to spend 6 months in NZ hunting (do or bust), but got it in 7 working days (9 interviews across then). No qualifications, btw, earning a degree holder's job.

When I first arrived and liquidity was a bit tight, I kick started my web design service by offering to do jobs for FREE. Everyone likes a freebie no matter which part of the world you're in and I soon had a portfolio of 5 nicely designed websites [nice by 1998 standards]. Within 6 months, I was up and running simply by building up a reasonable reputation by word of mouth. $800 per website x about 5 to 6 jobs per month was a handy $4k in the bank every 30 days. It paid all the bills with money left over for all my Paninis and flat whites.

junkyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I first arrived and liquidity was a bit tight, I kick started my web design service by offering to do jobs for FREE. Everyone likes a freebie no matter which part of the world you're in and I soon had a portfolio of 5 nicely designed websites [nice by 1998 standards]. Within 6 months, I was up and running simply by building up a reasonable reputation by word of mouth. $800 per website x about 5 to 6 jobs per month was a handy $4k in the bank every 30 days. It paid all the bills with money left over for all my Paninis and flat whites.

Well, all I can say is that you had a 8 year lead time ahead of me back then when I hit NZ (you hit OZ then), and all the two of us (me + other sinkie) did was take the plunge, with the same attitude: to hell with everything Singaporean, embrace the culture presented to us. Cheers for that.

One of the key ironies we lived through was meritocracy: practiced at all levels of our immediate circles: work, new friends, associates, clubs. the hell to the SG'eans who tout it with sarcasm and double-faced talk. Amazing how much the locals accept who you are and what you do when you try your darn hardest living *their* lifestyle.

Time flies and we should progress; likewise NZ/OZ as a first plunge is now trivial. As I write this I juggle the next steps: OZ/SG/USA!

Grow up SG. Then again, why am I complaining? Nothing to lose so long as the fence is kept high enough to prevent loser-sinkies from migrating successfully: after all -- this is now my home and I sure don't want weaklings to come, right? The situation right now, should be, sweet as. Even sinkies (with masters) lack initiative and innovation when approaching their goals.

Right?

*ducks*

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can get NZ PR under the skilled migrant programme if I can get a job offer. Same for reigonal AUS, if an employer is willing to sponsor me.

Anyone knows of any jobs for a twenty plus male with a business degree with great English. Hardworking and mature. Don't mind stand-on-feet-whole-day jobs as long as I can get PR. :smile:

Or does anyone know of any agents who can find me a job?

so you're hardworking....................don't mind stand all day..........................

go there be a male prostitute lor...................