• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any Suckers Still Buying Overpriced, Crappy BOSE Speakers ???

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Having a separate DAC and amp means I can mix and match to get the right synergy.

Jabens stuff aren't cheap. Centrance are way overpriced.

If you dun mind used you can get some good bargains on the Jabens forum. Someone I know is selling the Icon HD for about $200+.

Hi Fi equipment is never cheap especially in Spore :(

Good idea about looking in the secondary market. Hi Fi equipment is unlikely to be heavily used or outdated:smile:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Fi equipment is never cheap especially in Spore :(

Good idea about looking in the secondary market. Hi Fi equipment is unlikely to be heavily used or outdated:smile:

Looking on the bright side, these used equipment has been run in for you. And most sellers take good care of their stuff since they paid a lot for it 1st-hand :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looking on the bright side, these used equipment has been run in for you. And most sellers take good care of their stuff since they paid a lot for it 1st-hand :smile:

I've looked at the Jaben forums & have only found only 2 subdirectories under the Sale/Trade: for Photographic Equipment & Books, Manga,.. Where is the Hi Fi subdirectory?

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its not that audiophiles only listen to arty farty music, its that a lot of systems out there are not capable of handling a lot of other music like dance, pop music etc. That's why you always see these hi fi shops using high infidelity CDs with vocals and simple instruments back ups (solo piano/guitar esp.). Vocals are easy to reproduce and single instrument is easy to handle. That's why you need to bring your fav CDs to these Hi Fi shops for testing.

The Hi Fi world is just like the wine world - full of snobs who will talk all day about their prized wine/HiFi instead of just using their ears and tongues to judge and enjoy. They will only go for the branded and expensive ones or else there will be nothing to boast about.

brudder.....................you know or not one ???

some vocals and instruments very hard to reproduce ...............will cause distortion if the speakers can't handle it..............

to handle pop and dance music, as long as the speakers can handle the bloated bass enough liao lor...................the treble is always bad unless the recording is good.........

people don't test with pop music becoz the recording is bad................so what's the point ? i've heard pop music with ''normal'' recording on systems over 100k and the treble is still really bad...............

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
My system :

Speakers - Canadian Energy XL 26.

Sub - Rel Storm

Amp - Accuphase E210

CD Player - Onkyo

Energy speakers are 12 years old. The rest of the stuff is22 years old.

Before the Energys, I was using the Bose 901 system which could not operate without going through a custom equaliser routed through the tape inputs.

The Energy speakers are better than the Bose 901.

good heart lah......................change your system lah.................make so much money from this forum, can afford to buy hi-end liao mah............

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
These guys are certified tube amp fans.

MV5BMTkwOTQwNDY0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTMzODA3._V1._SX485_SY326_.jpg

now the Japs mostly famous for their tube amps..............they're fantastic though............transistor amps only Accuphase still highly regarded..........other brands like no longer making so hi-end liao....................

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My first record player was a German brand. now bought over by the Koreans. It was a darn good machine and I wish I had kept it.

The ultimate turntable bar none by Nakamichi, the Dragon CT.

[video=youtube;rUgOUftRSjk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgOUftRSjk[/video]

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal

some vocals and instruments very hard to reproduce ...............will cause distortion if the speakers can't handle it..............

to handle pop and dance music, as long as the speakers can handle the bloated bass enough liao lor...................the treble is always bad unless the recording is good.........

people don't test with pop music becoz the recording is bad................so what's the point ? i've heard pop music with ''normal'' recording on systems over 100k and the treble is still really bad...............

I actually thought you know something about Hi Fi until your last post above.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro have to disagree with these points.

I went to several hifi shows in the 90s. Man were they boring! So many different makes , but nearly all play only Tsai TChin, Eagles' Hell Freezes Over and of birds chirping, Finally found what i truly enjoyed in a room where they played rock and pop songs with using Krell cd and amplifiers pumping B&W Nautilus speakers. I stayed for the longest time.

Soory i cant find appropiate words..the bass timings of a heavy metal band is just as difficult to handle as numerous classical instruments in an orchestra.

My point is, if a system is good, it should be able to handle a wide range of music (tube amps excluded). There are countless high quality pop CDs, just as there are many crap classical CD recordings.

The key to good quality is in the recording process, not the genre of music. But my last point is, vinyl records beat CDs hands down in musicality.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro, Rockport mah lagi awesome ?

I think you mean rockbox.

I got someone do a mod on my iPod by bypassing built-in sucky capacitor and added a high-grade blackgate capacitor on my line-out dock. It sounds wonderful as it can get. Won't bother with rockbox cos 320kbps is good enuf for me as I can't tell difference between it and lossless.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think you mean rockbox.

I got someone do a mod on my iPod by bypassing built-in sucky capacitor and added a high-grade blackgate capacitor on my line-out dock. It sounds wonderful as it can get. Won't bother with rockbox cos 320kbps is good enuf for me as I can't tell difference between it and lossless.

he meant Rockport turntables......................some models weigh a few hundred kg.............and can cost well over 100k.............

waaaah...............iPod also can add BlackGate cap ah ?

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro have to disagree with these points.

I went to several hifi shows in the 90s. Man were they boring! So many different makes , but nearly all play only Tsai TChin, Eagles' Hell Freezes Over and of birds chirping, Finally found what i truly enjoyed in a room where they played rock and pop songs with using Krell cd and amplifiers pumping B&W Nautilus speakers. I stayed for the longest time.

Soory i cant find appropiate words..the bass timings of a heavy metal band is just as difficult to handle as numerous classical instruments in an orchestra.

My point is, if a system is good, it should be able to handle a wide range of music (tube amps excluded). There are countless high quality pop CDs, just as there are many crap classical CD recordings.

The key to good quality is in the recording process, not the genre of music. But my last point is, vinyl records beat CDs hands down in musicality.

you actually find Krell and B&W combo appealing ???!!!:eek:

people will always try out with good quality recordings...........very few people will try pop music especially hi-end systems since the buyer is normally middle-aged liao.........

end of the day if recording is poor..............the most accurate system will still sound poor...........

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you actually find Krell and B&W combo appealing ???!!!:eek:

people will always try out with good quality recordings...........very few people will try pop music especially hi-end systems since the buyer is normally middle-aged liao.........

end of the day if recording is poor..............the most accurate system will still sound poor...........

Agree 110%.

Bro remember in the 90s, this woman's voice rules the hi-fi world. Every freaking shop in Adelphi was playing her recording.

[video=youtube;3ggeZ9YZYbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ggeZ9YZYbc[/video]

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mary Black....yeah, i still listen to her songs, some quite nice mah............

then later people demo with Patricia Barber...............only good systems can reproduce her voice and instruments her music without distortion..............

don't forget those people that keep testing ''Hotel California''..........they only care about the start with the bass.............

funny that i don't care about bass that much, unlike most S'poreans..........as long as not slow and muddy, enough for me liao..............i don't fancy how low and bass slam...........i'm most particular about speed and treble extension................