• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another Sinkie died un-glamorously making another headline

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another Sinkie died un-glamorously making YET another headline
phpZRfdoO.jpg

21-year-old Singaporean dies in NZ
By Saifulbahri Ismail | Posted: 16 December 2010 1546 hrs

Mount Aspiring

NEW ZEALAND: A 21-year-old Singaporean believed to be climbing a mountain in New Zealand unroped died early Wednesday after falling 800m from the summit.
According to New Zealand media TVNZ, Mr Ong Eng Wu, who is believed to be an international student in Melbourne, fell while climbing the 3,033 metre Mt Aspiring near Wanaka, New Zealand.
Mr Ong and his 20-year-old male climbing companion were ascending the ridge when the fall happened. His companion managed to make it to the summit for help, where he met other guided parties.
Wanaka police said they were alerted at 6.50am.
Land SAR alpine cliff rescue team leader Gary Dickson said the two men were believed to be at about 200m from the summit of the mountain when Mr Ong "most likely" fell about 800m into a crevasse.
Mr Dickson, who was involved in the rescue operation, said he understood the two men had been climbing "unroped", adding it was not unusual.
"(However) it is more on the riskier end to climb through the gully unroped.
"You've got to make sure you do everything correctly and if you don't the consequences aren't great," he said.
Constable Mike Johnston was quoted by TVNZ as saying the rescue team used a strop -- a rescue rope below a helicopter -- to get onto the steep terrain to recover Mr Ong's body. Mr Ong's body was found in a 4 metre-deep crack at the base of the mountain.
Mr Ong's climbing companion was later helped down the mountain by two mountain guides.
Mr Ong's family was alerted about the accident by the Singapore High Commission in New Zealand on Wednesday afternoon.
The youngest among four siblings, Mr Ong was described as a cheerful person and the fittest in the family.
28-year-old Lance Ong said his younger brother was passionate about mountain climbing.
"He started learning mountaineering about five years back. Started climbing with Safra and later when he went to Trinity College in Australia, he joined the mountaineering club and then he came back to serve his NS. He went back and he continued practising and training in mountaineering."
Mr Ong's body is expected to be flown back to Singapore on Friday evening.
An investigation has been started in New Zealand on behalf of the Coroner, to find out what caused Mr Ong's death.

-TVNZ/CNA/wk/ac

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Unglamorously????:eek: I'd say that's a GLORIOUS death in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. The icing on the cake is that injury and death of all tourists is covered by ACC.

"Unglamorous" is when you die alone in an HDB pigeon hole and stink the whole neighborhood out while your putrid body rots because nobody knows or cares.

3872_Siberian.jpg

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to agree for once with Sam. To die while having fun is the best way to go.
He is one lucky guy.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
plenty of things to think about on the way down...

poor fella fell about 250 floors down!:eek:

Well, i think he is one who has balls and guts to do the things that he wanted to do. Life is impermanent. To do stuffs that you love, even for 1 second is still a blessing.

IceLemonT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Climbing is in everyone's blood. When we're a kid, we used to climb everything that is taller than us. In the playground, construction site, flats, cupboard, rooftops behind shophouses, gates & fences, trees, you named it.

As we grow older, we start to feel fear. Fear of something that we do not fully understand but that's enough to stop us from climbing anymore. But some people never ever conquer by fear keep climbing in their lifes. Some of them died along the way, but hey, they themselve know best why.

I doubt most of us don't even climb a stair now. :rolleyes:

Also, real climbers hate ropes. Go ask the french spiderman. :biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you enter any room with people in it, only one thing is certain - everyone in there will die. No one gets out of life alive. Some would die slogging at something they hate. Others would be more fortunate and die doing something they love at a beautiful place. It would of course have been better if this person lived longer, saw more and shared with others. But then, you can't have everything. RIP.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
he died doing what he loved

i climbed unroped in my youth too

those days equipment was very basic and we rarely depend on local guides

had a few minor accidents but could have died like this young man

it was really fun - these days youngsters only fiddle with ipod and wii and become bunch of fucking idiots

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unglamorously????:eek: I'd say that's a GLORIOUS death in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. The icing on the cake is that injury and death of all tourists is covered by ACC.

"Unglamorous" is when you die alone in an HDB pigeon hole and stink the whole neighborhood out while your putrid body rots because nobody knows or cares.

3872_Siberian.jpg

Hahaha...u n your "acid tongue"! Very True...:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If he died in battlefield to defend his country or cause he believed in, he'd be an honorable hero, even to enemies of his country and opponents to his cause.

If he died trying to cross mountain range in search of new land for better life like old frontier pioneers, it was an worthy endeavor regrettably failed.

If he died climbling mountain for fun, there's no difference with gamblers gambling fortunes away without any sense of responsibility for self and family.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he died in battlefield to defend his country or cause he believed in, he'd be an honorable hero, even to enemies of his country and opponents to his cause.

If he died trying to cross mountain range in search of new land for better life like old frontier pioneers, it was an worthy endeavor regrettably failed.

If he died climbling mountain for fun, there's no difference with gamblers gambling fortunes away without any sense of responsibility for self and family.
Very True, broRam!!! He's just unlucky, I wld say!!!

silliporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Condolences to the family...people taking high risk sports must know how to differentiate between fact and fantasy first..

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal

it was really fun - these days youngsters only fiddle with ipod and wii and become bunch of fucking idiots

Sad but true....."he died doing what he loved."

How many poeple in this world can be like him? We live life complaining and for Singaporeans it is worse....no way out and trapped by a bulling-favour-F.T. PAPee govt.

When I was a teen my dad told me a client of his, after his wife died, immediately went to Thailand and had a time of his life. He died from heart attach while screwing a whore!

I knew that couple from their visits to my dad's dental shop. I was thinking to myself: "Shit what a lucky man, 'he died doing what he loved' (the same statement as besotted wrote".

He climb and he had made a calculated risk. He knew for sure not many people dare to do the things he did.....he went with eye open.

What he was thinking while he was falling to his death?

My experience tells me that he would have thought of the someone he loved most.

In 1996, I was walking down a road at night in Petaling Jaya in Klang area in Malaysia. As I crossed the road, I saw an Indian women in her mid 30s running across chased by a man who just left his motor cycle on the side.

After I crossed the road, I looked back. I saw the Indian man slapping her and used his motorcycle helmet to hit her on her head. I stood there at there other side of the road and watch.

I was telling myself, IF this man were to jump back on his motorbike and crash towards me I will jump into the moonsoon drain about 6 feet deep.

You know what? He did exactly that! So I jumped into the drain.

He shouted and scolded me : "What are you watching. You want to fuck my wife?" I kept saying NO. In just a minuste or less, another motorbike with two more Indian men.

Now all three wanted to fight with me. I can smell the alcohol in the first man's mouth.

While I was in the 6 feet deep drain, knowing I could be death any moment, the only image that came to my mind was my baby son, Edmund.

About 15 years ago, a motivation speaker told us when the US army listened to the black box of the Jap aricraft suicide bombers who droe their planes into Americian war ships, they wanted to know what were their last words.

They expected they would shout something like : "To the Emperor."

But to their humble surprise they found out they shouted one common and simple Japanese word.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sad but true....."he died doing what he loved."

How many poeple in this world can be like him? We live life complaining and for Singaporeans it is worse....no way out and trapped by a bulling-favour-F.T. PAPee govt.

When I was a teen my dad told me a client of his, after his wife died, immediately went to Thailand and had a time of his life. He died from heart attach while screwing a whore!

I knew that couple from their visits to my dad's dental shop. I was thinking to myself: "Shit what a lucky man, 'he died doing what he loved' (the same statement as besotted wrote".

He climb and he had made a calculated risk. He knew for sure not many people dare to do the things he did.....he went with eye open.

What he was thinking while he was falling to his death?

My experience tells me that he would have thought of the someone he loved most.

In 1996, I was walking down a road at night in Petaling Jaya in Klang area in Malaysia. As I crossed the road, I saw an Indian women in her mid 30s running across chased by a man who just left his motor cycle on the side.

After I crossed the road, I looked back. I saw the Indian man slapping her and used his motorcycle helmet to hit her on her head. I stood there at there other side of the road and watch.

I was telling myself, IF this man were to jump back on his motorbike and crash towards me I will jump into the moonsoon drain about 6 feet deep.

You know what? He did exactly that! So I jumped into the drain.

He shouted and scolded me : "What are you watching. You want to fuck my wife?" I kept saying NO. In just a minuste or less, another motorbike with two more Indian men.

Now all three wanted to fight with me. I can smell the alcohol in the first man's mouth.

While I was in the 6 feet deep drain, knowing I could be death any moment, the only image that came to my mind was my baby son, Edmund.

About 15 years ago, a motivation speaker told us when the US army listened to the black box of the Jap aricraft suicide bombers who droe their planes into Americian war ships, they wanted to know what were their last words.

They expected they would shout something like : "To the Emperor."

But to their humble surprise they found out they shouted one common and simple Japanese word.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't understand your story. Why did a bunch of shit skins appear out of nowhere?

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's debatable whether he died a glamorous or unglamorous death. Depending on how one views death, I would say death is always unglamorous! Although it is inevitable, it is also not welcome unless we are takling about euthanasia. Nobody wants to die, if they can help it. Don't believe ask the Emperor! He covets the elixir of life.:rolleyes: