• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

An half a billion lost from Sinkapore Inc

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Realized loss liao can still call long term investment?
Win some lose some? Seems like never win at all.

Sound like my old employer, whom I had left eons ago. When the balance sheet is in red, & hit by any worldwide crises, we share the loss, like increment freeze, bonus freeze, cost cuttings & so forth. But, after that, when business was stellar & profits was stunning, the "loss sharing" continued, the excuse?, provision for bad debts. Whereas those in the management board & certain employers get rewarded & still got what they usually gets.

sound familiar? maybe my employer learn from the best..the PxP :rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Surely the permission of PM must be sought in order to sell away National assets at a loss?

He is on leave, Christmas time is here, & soon New Year & then Lunar New Year..don't bother him till February 29 ( extra leap)..2013 [ for mee siam no hum eater only].

Last edited:

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
The background to this purchase is as follows: CK Cheong, than CEO of SIA was very excited when Branson offered to sell 49% to SIA. Branson-worshiping Cheong flew to London to meet Branson at a hotel. Over coffee, they negotiated and reached a deal in a day or so and the agreed figure was 960m. They initialed the deal on a napkin, boasted Cheong at that time. It later transpired that Branson had assumed that he sold hs share for SGD960 but the over excited star struck Cheong thought Branson meant USD!!! Branson did the classic snook. The rest is history. This is a true story. CK Cheong when he was CEO was just coasting along on the success of JYM Pillay and others who built the airline. The problems in SIA today are the result of CK Cheong's complacency. The present lot in SIA are also coasting along. Whats happening in SIA today is not dissimilar to the sickness of he PAP today. Very sad indeed that such a wonderful airline is just going down the drain.

To make matters worse, the usd$965m was in 1999; pre-hyperinflation $$, so every $1 had greater purchasing power.

today in 2012, every $1 is probably worth less than half of that in 1999, thanks to massive expansion of money supply due to $$ printing by the FED.

So what SIA gets back in 2012 is worth even less in terms of purchasing power!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
wat's inside? outside looks like plastic toy :(

You're right it looked plastic, they're all made of glutinous rice (of course la, this is Thailand). Most of the time inside is fied with white taosar or ground peanuts, actully it's just like our version of ang-gu-kway exept that this is really small and colourful and made into fruit shapes. Pretty nice for a simple snack. Find this in every supermarket and foodcourt.

By the way I travel Thai most of the time now a days. Reason I was in SQ was now a days I commute between Jakarta and Bangkok and when I have to stop by Singapore I take SQ which is much cheaper. So this dessert thing came as a surprise for me.

Last edited:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Airlines bought 49 per cent of Virgin Atlantic for US$965 million in 1999, but has been open to selling its stake since at least mid-2011 when a price of US$500-US$600 million was mooted in market,Now SIA to sell Virgin Atlantic stake for US$360 million-PAP daily reported

This is a classic cash study of PM Lee's wife Mdam Ho Ching brilliant biz strategy,I humbly suggest that any university professor here should recommend it as a cash study case for our world top biz schools at NUS,NTU or SMU

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore Airlines bought 49 per cent of Virgin Atlantic for US$965 million in 1999, but has been open to selling its stake since at least mid-2011 when a price of US$500-US$600 million was mooted in market,Now SIA to sell Virgin Atlantic stake for US$360 million-PAP daily reported

This is a classic cash study of PM Lee's wife Mdam Ho Ching brilliant biz strategy,I humbly suggest that any university professor here should recommend it as a cash study case for our world top biz schools at NUS,NTU or SMU

With respect, at any profit making enterprise, such a CEO would have been asked to leave a long time ago.
In addition, I am confident that there must be several Singaporeans who are, able, qualified, willing and ready for that position.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am beginning to become convinced Leegime is pocketing kickbacks through pre-arranged losses. The other is of course they are class one clutzes. Time to open books.

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. really no eye see.
3. some white-haired sheep proclaims that it is the custodian or thing.
4. with its extensive banking/finance or experience, blah, blah & more blahs.
5. after eating millions, and now this!
6. well done, sheep!
7. suck on it:mad:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Airlines bought 49 per cent of Virgin Atlantic for US$965 million in 1999, but has been open to selling its stake since at least mid-2011 when a price of US$500-US$600 million was mooted in markets.

Singapore Airlines has been refocusing on its key markets where it is under pressure from budget airlines, launching its own budget carrier, Scoot, to ply Asian middle-distance routes and bolstering its Asian regional carrier, SilkAir.
new govt directive: All civil servants from janitor upwards are allowed to travel business class on SIA flights. Krisflyer mileage can also be accrued to individual's account as a form of compensation for travel hardship.

All superscale officers can travel by first class on SIA, while all political office holders are allowed to chartered entire SIA flights on first class rates.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
1/2 billion USD loss here,1/2 billion USD loss there,don't know how many billions USD lost by the buy-high and sell-low expert Ho Ching since Micropolis ?
No wonder our CPF money was isa-ed by PAP,our CPF money was imprisoned for life without returning to the rightful CPF members.Our CPF money can be written off as loss due to misappropriation.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Slight cosmetic correction but or else you are absolutely spot on as usual.

Formal negotiations failed and they agreed to part. Both parties then went to have dinner and ended up in the same restaurant but at different tables. Then the napkin came out.

Shortly after the deal was consummated, SIA realised that formula did not favour them. It was a similar formula that Branson used in all his ventures and where his partners would ride on his branding. SIA had its own brand and did not understand this and assumed that they would use the code sharing to penetrate the US. It took them less than a year before they were open to a buy out. They could also not understand that all of Branson's partners eventually came out of partnerships.

SIA had a golden opportunity to take over the Ansett routes and were begged to takeover including the airport facilities. They even had their dicks sucked in Melbourne immensely but did not bite. Branson took over and made it work.

The other main issue I believe is the power of a majority stake even if it is just 51%. Virgin had been making good profits but gave out paltry dividends, preferring to retain the bulk of profits in the company for further growth. SIA's 49% stake gave it Board seats but it still did not have much say on major decisions. Not sure whether SIA bothered to iron all those things out and put it in contract before the deal was signed.

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
SIA had a golden opportunity to take over the Ansett routes and were begged to takeover including the airport facilities. They even had their dicks sucked in Melbourne immensely but did not bite. Branson took over and made it work.

so sia's interest in vigrin australia, would it be deja vu?

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it's not own money, who cares? Anyway, there is no consequences for making a 'long term investment'.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it's not own money, who cares? Anyway, there is no consequences for making a 'long term investment'.

I disagree with their attitude as reflected in the reported results,
because as a Trustee and/or custodian, one should treat the money of others,
more carefully and prudently than one's own money.

I always more concerned with the money in my trust accounts
than my own,
and since I started on my my own more than 2 decades ago,
not drawn any interim fees, from my trust accounts.

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
more losses for singapore inc akan datang....

Olam says has Temasek support in Muddy Waters battle
By Charmian Kok and Anshuman Daga

Olam says Temasek has stayed invested
* Issues detailed defence on accounting, acquisitions
* Says no insolvency risk, can meet debt obligations
* Shares fall 4 pct to lowest close in 3 1/2 yrs, bonds drop (Updates with CEO comments, adds video and story links)

SINGAPORE, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Singapore commodity trader Olam defended its record on accounting and acquisitions and said it had the backing of a key state investor as it seeks to counter criticism from a short-seller which has hammered its shares.

Olam International Ltd, 16 percent owned by Singapore state investor Temasek Holdings Pte Ltd, said in a 45-page report on Wednesday it was not at risk of insolvency and had enough liquidity to pursue its business and future investments.

Olam's report aimed to rebut major issues raised by U.S. based short-seller Muddy Waters in its own report issued the day before, which looked at Olam's solvency, accounting-related assertions, business model, acquisitions and capital spending.

"We believe that the (Muddy Waters) report's assertions are motivated to distract and create panic amongst our continuing shareholders, bond holders and creditors," Olam said.

Olam shares fell nearly 4 percent on Wednesday to their lowest close in three and half years. They have dropped 14 percent since the battle with Muddy Waters began early last week, wiping away nearly half a billion dollars in value.

Olam CEO Sunny Verghese, speaking to about 100 analysts and reporters assembled for a hurriedly called news conference, sought to allay concerns that investors such as Temasek were growing worried over the allegations from Muddy Waters.

"On the Temasek issue you have raised, the only thing I would say is that I am grateful they have stood by us and stayed invested," he said. "For me that is the biggest support."

Temasek spokesman Stephen Forshaw said after Verghese's comments: "We have maintained our position in Olam. We have nothing further add."

Short-sellers like Muddy Waters make money by betting stocks will fall and then buying them back when they are cheaper.

DETAILED REPORTS

Analysts said Olam still faced doubts in the markets.

"Olam had a point-by-point rebuttal and pointed out quite correctly that there were a few facts that were isolated and taken out of context," said UOB Kay Hian analyst Eugene Ng. "But regardless of whether Muddy Waters' claims are justified, the perception of Olam as a company has been damaged."

Olam's bonds have also been hit hard, with its bonds due in 2017 falling to 85/87 cents on the dollar and its and 2020 bonds slipping to 85.5/88, both about 1 to 2 lower.

"The Olam report addresses some areas well and some areas not so well," said a Hong Kong-based credit analyst at a U.S. bank. "The rebuttal is good enough to prevent a collapse but I can see more exchanges to follow - it will not be an easy week."

Verghese said Olam had not so far bought back any of its shares or bonds. The company last week said it would consider share buybacks after comments by Muddy Waters founder Carson Block sent the price lower.

Verghese also said the company had no plan to raise equity to meet its long-term profit goals.

Muddy Waters, which rose to prominence after attacks on North America-listed Chinese companies, made allegations about irregularities and vulnerabilities at Olam last week and released its detailed 133-page report on Tuesday.

The battle between the two firms, which Olam has escalated to a Singapore court, has cast a spotlight on common accounting practices at commodities firms.

Olam said it has planned for an appropriate capital structure and raised the necessary equity and debt to meet its investment plans.

"We believe that even without raising any further debt we can easily meet our debt repayment obligations and pursue our planned capex (capital expenditure), in addition to meeting the ongoing working capital needs," it said.

"We also have the option of phasing out some of our fixed capital investments if the debt markets completely dry up for some reason."

Olam said gains generated from accounting for negative goodwill in certain acquisitions, which were highlighted in Muddy Waters' report, are treated as exceptional and are excluded when reporting core operational profits.

CIMB analyst Lee Wen Ching said the Muddy Waters report provided sensational headlines but little new information.

"We think this report exaggerates the negatives, most of which are already known by the market, rather than bringing up new concerns," she said.

Olam, started by the Kewalram Chanrai Group in Nigeria, began as a trader of agricultural commodities with interests ranging from cocoa and coffee to nuts and sugar.

It has been diversifying into new areas in recent years through acquisitions and now owns plantations and processing plants around the world. (Additional reporting by Saeed Azhar in Singapore and Nishant Kumar in Hong Kong; Editing by John O'Callaghan, Edmund Klamann and Mark Potter)

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
a week or so later after angrily claiming that its not facing any liquidity problems.... it issues rights to raise $1.53b backed by guess who...

Olam Extends Sharp Losses as Analysts Find Rights Issue ‘Expensive’

Shares of embattled Olam International extended its losses for the second straight day Thursday as doubts linger about the group’s financial health despite a S$1.53 billion rights issue.

Olam stocks closed 4.3 per cent lower at S$1.45 after falling as much as 5.9 per cent intraday Thursday. They fell 5.3 per cent on Wednesday.

Olam on Monday said that it will offer US$750 million in bonds and as much as US$500 million in warrants and Temasek agreed to buy any rights not taken up by other investors.

Temasek, which holds 16 per cent of Olam, “made its own independent assessment” before deciding to back the sale, it said in a separate statement on December 4.

But Michael Dee, a former senior managing director at Temasek, called for Temasek to sell stock, noting that Olam’s debt and warrant sale is an expensive way to raise money.

“Olam made a strategic error in saying equity was not needed until 2015. It needs equity now,’” he was quoted as saying in a report.

Analysts also questioned the rights issue, noting that Olam just days earlier had said there was no need to raise funds.

“Olam have offered a very generous return to shareholders who partake in the bond and warrant sale. This is Dee’s focus that this expensive capital, along with other issues, suggest real issues with the management of this commodity player,” said Weiming Yang of IG Markets in Singapore.

“This along with the move to tap up investors for capital, days after stating there was no immediate financing concerns, suggests Muddy Waters were right to question the management of the company,” the IG Markets analyst added.

Anantharaman Shekhar, an executive director at Olam, said November 28 that the company has enough capital for the next 12 to 18 months even if it is unable to raise money from the capital markets.

Olam shares surged Tuesday, a day after the rights issue announcement, but soon petered out as Muddy Waters said the move validated its claims that Olam was in debt.

Thursday’s closing price represents a nearly 17 per cent slump since November 19 when influential US-based short-seller Carson Block first raised questions about Olam’s financial health at an investment conference in London.

Olam sued Muddy Waters and Block in the Singapore High Court on November 21, calling Block’s remarks in London malicious falsehoods. The company is seeking unspecified damages, costs and an injunction against republication of the comments.

Muddy Waters on November 27 released a 133-page report in which it rated Olam a strong sell and likened the company to failed energy trader Enron Corp.

Olam fired back with a 45-page rebuttal which stressed that the company is on a sound financial footing.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
null-113.jpg

This is very traditional Thai desserts, nice

Never really liked those, made of Marzipan i believed? Always got a strong almond smell and taste