• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Amd retrenchment 2008-2009

sylvester134

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2008 3:32 AM
Subject: Reductions in Force

Over the past several quarters, we have taken some important steps to put AMD back on path to consistent profitability in 2009 and beyond. Recent actions such as divesting the DTV business and announcing our Asset Smart strategy are consistent with that objective – as is the decision to reduce our breakeven point to $1.5 billion. And while our third-quarter results suggest we are on the right path, there is still work to do in order to fully reach the target.

In preparing for 2009, we have taken a hard look at every program and activity across the company to ensure we are focused on only those activities that will yield the fastest path to profitability. And, as a result, we have had to eliminate or defer programs that might make sense in better times, or in times of less economic uncertainty. As we strive to achieve consistent profitability in ’09, we will continue to assess our programs and activities, in order to consistently match them with the realities of our global market. As you would expect, this kind of evaluation has implications for staffing.

Today, we are announcing a headcount reduction of approximately 500 employees across various regions and organizations. These are always the most difficult of decisions, but they are a part of meeting our commitments and staying focused. The majority of affected employees have been notified, though some notifications will take place over the next few weeks in compliance with regional employment laws.

I know I can count on all AMDers to be sensitive to your colleagues in a difficult situation like this. As always, if you have questions, I encourage you to talk with your manager about these actions and our priorities moving forward. More information is also available here.

I ask that all of you remain focused on the positive aspects of the transformation underway at AMD. We have taken the lead in the discrete graphics business. We are shipping our new Shanghai server technology. Our platform value proposition is paying off, and I can personally report that our customers and partners are truly excited about the promise of AMD. Our opportunity for greatness, for consistent profitability and for industry leadership have never been better.

Keep your attention and focus on making our future great – and I thank you for your continued support.

Thanks,

Dirk