• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Aljunied GRC MPs Outreach...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WORKER'S PARTY DEEPAVALI NITE

IMG_7395.JPG

IMG_7391.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

IMG_7394.JPG

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Workers' Party members on Hammer Outreach this morning. See you at various markets in East Coast GRC!

Last edited:

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm surprised the WP hasn't started doing any groundwork at Punggol and Pasir Ris GRC yet... with SDA likely to disappear, that area is prime for the taking.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
双喜庆典致词
by Chen Show Mao on Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 7:35am

At the 135th anniversary celebrations of Po Chiak Keng Temple, the ancestral shrine for the Tan (also Chan, Chen and other variants of the same surname) and seven other related clans, I delivered the short speech below on how we may learn lessons for the future from examples set by our forebears. The speech was in Chinese. I hope we will have translations of it soon enough, with help from you.

各位宗亲,各位嘉宾,大家晚上好。特别感谢及欢迎远从大陆、台湾、香港、印尼,泰国,马来西亚及其他各地光临新加坡的宗亲和嘉宾,参加我们2011年国际虞舜与开漳文化促进大会暨保赤宫(陈氏宗祠)135周年庆典。

我记得小时候问家里大人,“为什么我们家门前刻有‘潁川’两个大字?”
他们解释这是因为我们姓陈。并吩咐我‘颍川’的‘颍’字别写错了。
长辈告诉我,我们祖先是从颍川来的。在今日河南一带。后来从中原入了福建,从福建迁到台湾,又从台湾移民到了新加坡。

从颍川到新加坡,那是经历了几千年、几万里的过程。纪念遥远的祖先对今天的我们又有什么意义呢?

新 加坡建国总理李光耀先生也考虑过相关问题。这星期,李前总理促请本地各宗乡会馆重新考虑将来所要扮演的角色,不应局限于帮助乡亲或宗亲,而应该积极帮助无 论是来自广东、福建,上海或其它各地的新移民,掌握好英语这个本地通用的工作语言,以便确保这些新移民能更顺利地融入新加坡。

我非常赞同这务实的思路。面临新时代的考验,我们大家,包括陈氏宗祠,都应该认真思考我们在这社会里所扮演的角色,以确保我们在21世纪仍合时宜。

我认为,除了帮助来自海外各地的年轻人学习本地通用的工作语言外,我们也可以思考如何帮助教育本地的年轻人,向先辈看齐学习。

在全球化的竞争下,我们希望教育我们下一代有创新的能力。 但单有创新的能力是不够的,还需有创业的精神,才能在激烈的竞争及迅速转变的局势下走出最优的一条路来。
这是什么精神?这是指:
创业所需的独立自主、勇于创新、知难而进、艰苦奋斗的精神。
它主要体现在一个人独立、敢为、坚韧(也就是不怕失败)、自我克制、适应环境、能与人合作互利等特性。

就这些方面,我们的祖先为我们树立了许多值得学习的榜样。

唐朝 陈元光,河南光州出生, 随父率领中原子弟入福建,开拓疆土,创立漳州,融合汉人与当地民族,兴办学校,奖励农耕,惠工通商。在他的领导下,人民安居乐业,奉稱他为 “开漳圣王”。

唐 朝 陈袆,河南洛阳出生, 法号玄奘,即是后来西游记里头的唐三藏。为了学佛法,他从长安往印度取经,长途跋涉十多万里。十七年后回长安,将取回的佛经组织翻译成中文,传播佛学。并 将《老子》等书翻译成梵文,传于印度。玄奘口述的游记《大唐西域记》,到今天仍是研究印度、尼泊尔、巴基斯坦、孟加拉以及中亚等地古代历史地理之重要资 料。

明朝 陈振龙,福建长乐出生,經商往返福州和(菲律賓)呂宋之間。他在呂宋見到番薯耐旱,可以救饥荒,想起福州各地常年鬧饥荒,決心把番薯種帶回福州種植,便留心學習栽種技術。最终成功地将番薯引进中国。

新 加坡开埠前,陈笃生在马六甲出生。为谋求发展,迁移入境。在新加坡摆摊卖食物。有了积蓄后,与人合伙做土产生意,后来成为有名的出入口商。当时的新加坡, 疾病滋生。疟疾、霍乱、天花、风湿,肺痨等都是致命的疾病。陈笃生倡建医院。个人捐资,在珍珠山上建立贫民医院。贫民不分种族,皆可免费到该院就诊。

您看,无论是在移民,宗教,文化交流,地理,农业,工商,慈善等各方面,我们的祖先,都充分展现了勇于创新,艰苦奋斗的精神。这值得我们学习,也值得我们鼓励我们下一代学习。

可以学到:我们今天、明天走的路,不一定要和昨天一样!

谢谢。

313070_233771380021463_150220718376530_621437_715388243_n.jpg

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chen Show Mao

Many thanks to Harvey, who translated the Forebears speech into English (and in no time, either!) For your convenience, I append Harvey's translation below.

A very good evening to all clansmen and guests. A special thanks also to those who have travelled from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia to participate in this 2011 "Yu Shun and Kai Zhang Cultures" Conference cum the 135th anniversary celebrations of Po Chiak Keng Temple (Tan Ancestral Association).

I remember when I was young, I used to ask the adults in my family: "Why are there two words- "Ying Chuan"- carved onto our front doors?"
They explained that it is because our surname is "Chen" and instructed me not to write the word "Ying" wrongly. My elders told me that our ancestors originally hailed from Ying Chuan which is in present day Henan in China. We then migrated to Fujian before moving to Taiwan and finally settling in Singapore.

From Ying Chuan to Singapore is a journey of thousands of years and tens of thousands of miles. What is the significance of commemorating these distant forebears today?

Our founding Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew has also considered similar questions like this. Just this week, he has urged all clan associations to rethink the role that can play in the future- one which does not limit themselves to helping fellow clansmen- but to actively help all new migrants (be they from Guangdong, Fujian or Shanghai) master Singapore's common working language English. This would help these new migrants settle into Singaporean society more easily.

I very much agree with this pragmatic line of thought. When faced with new challenges, all of us, including the association, must seriously think about the roles we can play in society such that we will remain relevant in the 21st century.
I believe, besides helping young people from afar learn our common working language, we can also consider how to help local young people learn from our forebears.

Under the competition of a globalized world, we hope to educate our next generation the ability to innovate and create. But these abilities in themselves are insufficient, for they need to possess an entrepreneurial spirit as well. Only then can they forge the best path in an intensely competitive and fast changing climate.

What then is this (entrepreneurial) spirit? It refers to independence, daring to change, to persevere despite difficulties and having dogged fighting spirit.
This spirit is manifested in a person's independence, courage, resilience (unfearful of failure) self-control, adaptability and cooperative nature, amongst other traits.

In these aspects, our forebears have done much that we should rightly emulate.

Chen Yuan Guang of the Tang Dynasty was born in Guang Zhou, Henan. He followed his father and fellow clansmen into Fujian and established Zhangzhou. They assimilated with the local people, built schools, encouraged farming, trade and commerce. Under his leadership, people lived happily and contentedly- honouring him with the title of "The Sage King of Zhangzhou".

Chen Wei of the Tang Dynasty was born in Luoyang, Henan. Ordained as "Xuanzhuang", his quest to learn Buddhism saw him travelling tens of thousands of miles to India to obtain Buddhist scriptures. When he returned to Chang An 17 years later, he translated the scriptures into Chinese and at the same time translated Daoist texts (like Lao Zi) into Sanskrit. Xuangzhuang's travel memoirs "Travels to the Western Regions" remain an important historical text in the South and middle Asian countries like India, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Chen Zhenlong was a Ming Dynasty businessman, born in Changle, Fujian. He often travelled between Fuzhou and Luzon (in the Philippines). When he saw how the sweet potato in Luzon were resistant to dry weather conditions, he remembered how in Fuzhou, drought-induced famines were common. He became determined to introduce sweet potatoes into China and conscientiously learnt their cultivation techniques. Eventually, he was successful in his mission.

Tan Tock Seng, an early pioneer of Singapore was born in Melaka. In search of opportunities, he came to Singapore. Starting off as a street vendor, he eventually became a very successful businessman. Singapore then was a place plague with fatal and infectious diseases like malaria, cholera, smallpox and tuberculosis. He proceeded to fund and build a free hospital atop of Pearl's Hill where the poor of all races can seek medical treatment.

So you see, in religion, cultural exchanges, economic endeavours and charity, our forebears have demonstrated their courage to innovate and create as well as their fighting spirit. This is what we should learn and what we should encourage our younger generations to learn.

What we can learn too is this: the road that we walk today and tomorrow need not be the same road we tread yesterday!

Last edited: