• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AIA joins Aviva, Prudential in raising IP premiums

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/aia-joins-aviva-prudential-in-raising-ip-premiums

Just received the notices from AIA that my premiums for Healthshield riders have jumped almost 100%! Unbelievable...

My agent explained that in recent years (after Susan Lim's case), doctors have been going rampant in overcharging and the government authorities are doing nothing. As such, AIA have to increase their premiums but at the same time, put up a list of "approved" panels and doctors. If doctors overcharged their clients, AIA will remove them from these panels. So you can assumed that those not in the list are known to be bad doctors who overcharges.

But why is the government doing nothing about this??

Well, my colleague gave the answer to that - our Ministers are already complaining that their salary have been reduced (though nobody have seen any details about that) and given that their salary is pegged to top earners in Singapore (including doctors), do you think they will reign in the doctors?

What do you guys think? For me, I'm terminating my health shield plan with AIA and moving to another provider.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not register the elderly under Workmen compensation and also have a basic shield plan will suffice.

The premium is getting unaffordable because the government is not controlling the medical charges from the Top.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Earlier this year I was talking to someone about health insurance & he told me that the trend was that the cost was going up.

Now we know why.

When I was young never thought that I would ever need health insurance because medical costs in Spore was affordable. How things have changed under PM LHL.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Earlier this year I was talking to someone about health insurance & he told me that the trend was that the cost was going up.

Now we know why.

When I was young never thought that I would ever need health insurance because medical costs in Spore was affordable. How things have changed under PM LHL.

You check into hospital, it is like going to eat at "hawkers center", "food courts (b2 with no aircond), (b1 with aircond) or classy resturant, with concierge & private 'server'). You must book your stay like , booking into a hotel, to ensure that you that your medical insurance deductibles is maxed before you can use your medical insurance, if not your medisave is limited to certain amount a day....you have to pay cash & furthermore you have to co pay 10%..

So you have to choose your "food centers" ( as illustration) carefully....& make sure, they book you in, enough days to max your deductibles or get them to run all sort of tests or take medicine that will max that too...

If not...hospital will send you O$P$ & even send...bill collectors to your house.. Your Medishield life...can never cover...you are just paying them premiums for their pockets..

Don't believe me...go check around.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agent said one doctor charged his patient $20k per injection for chemotherapy and put the poor patient through a whole series of tests. Instead of referring him to other doctors who may know exactly what to do, he over-treated the patient and the patient died because the doctor refuses to share his goldmine with other doctors.

The sad part is, we only have to look at Japan to find the solution. Japanese government split consultation from treatment so patient only go to doctors for prescription, they then go to public pharmacy where they get medication at a fraction of the cost. The same medication would cost less than 1/10th of the price in Japan then in Singapore.

Buckethead

Alfrescian
Loyal
Integrated Shield Plan no doubt help to minimize or pay for medical cost depend on plans. If it's "beyond repair", we still have to pay the "final party" cost...LOL

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hope some of the 70% wakes up in time -but I'm not too optimistic given the deafening silence!

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What do you guys think? For me, I'm terminating my health shield plan with AIA and moving to another provider.

Terminating your shield plan will render you uncovered for 6 months under your new provider. That's what I was told by a Great Eastern agent. Also, any existing medical conditions that you currently have will not be covered by the new provider which may otherwise by covered by AIA. Consider requesting your AIA agent for a downgrade in shield plan to restructured hospitals. That's what I did for my Prushield and Prushield Extra.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wouldn't Medishield Life be good enough? It covers everything, including pre-existing conditions. Thank you PAP!

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every Singaporean follows the PAP example of eating too much and not exercising enough...

Ends up EVERYBODY needs to claim insurance compensation for expensive treatments ...

PAP has set a bad example for Singaporeans to follow, PAP is the CAUSE of tax increases and the need for COMPULSORY medishield-life....

"As of 2010, more than half of Singapore's adult population between 18 and 69 years old have high cholesterol, four in 10 are overweight or obese, a quarter have prediabetes or diabetes and about one in five has hypertension."
PM Lee HL personally queuing up for his favourite comfort food of fried chicken wings (after a stressful day attending to personal family problems perhaps).
yan7.jpg
(alt pict view)
yan1.jpg
(alt img view)http://danielfooddiary.com/2014/06/14/yan/
KBW showing off his $8 urgent heart bypass to bypass life threatening levels of fat and cholesterol had been found built up over the years in his heart arteries.
Khaw+Boon+Wan.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/notes/theo...n-wan-pays-s8-for-bypass-surgery/446633433963
HSK sleeps much less than 4.5hrs/night, like his brain needs no rest:
"Fellow Tampines MP Desmond Choo was also shocked at the news.
"We've never heard anything like this. To me, he's like Superman," said Mr Choo.
"The number of hours he works and the kind of attention span he has, it's amazing."
The 2012 Hougang by-election candidate recalled the days when he worked closely with Mr Heng, whom he sees as a fatherly figure and source of inspiration.
"During the by-election period, we would discuss issues until 2am and he would ask me to go home," said Mr Choo.
"'As a candidate, you need rest,' he would tell me while he continued working with activists. When I returned in the morning, at about 6.30am, he'd already be there."
http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/shanmugam-heng-was-carrying-incredible-load
maxresdefault.jpg
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...t-apologises-for-not-being-able-to-attend-ndp
PM LHL, too much fried wings/chendol (fatty food) or skipped sleep before presenting NDR2016/ a mild stroke on stage?:
isetO2w.gif
https://edmwimg.wordpress.com/tag/lee-hsien-loong/page/5/
Foot ulcers which people with diabetes mellitus suffer (after eating too much with insufficient exercise):
Diabetic-Foot-1.jpg

slide_8.jpg

Charles Chong, ate too much, insufficient exercise, developed severe fatty liver disease which necessitated a liver transplant to save his life:
Lv5ToAs.jpg

1 in 10 stroke patients here aged under 50
PUBLISHED NOV 19, 2016, 5:00 AM SGT
Linette Lai
While older people are far more likely to suffer a stroke, one in 10 stroke patients in Singapore is under 50 years old.
Medical conditions such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol can make a person more likely to get a stroke, say doctors.
Smoking, too, puts you at risk.

Last Saturday, Singaporean businesswoman Linda Koh was found unconscious in her Hong Kong hotel room. The 36-year-old was rushed to hospital, where she died soon after.
Doctors subsequently found that she had suffered a stroke.
Her father, Mr Alan Koh, told Chinese newspaper Shin Min Daily News that his daughter had a history of high blood pressure and was taking medication for it.
Strokes occur when part of the blood supply to the brain is cut off.
The latest figures from the National Registry of Disease Office show that there were 6,943 cases of strokes in 2014, up from 6,642 the previous year.
They are the fourth most common cause of death in Singapore, and tend to occur among men.
The incidence rate for men aged between 35 and 44 who were admitted to public hospitals for stroke in 2014 was 58 per 100,000 people, compared with 24 per 100,000 for women in the same age group.
Doctors who spoke to The Straits Times said there are rarely any warning signs before a stroke happens.
"Some strokes may be preceded by severe headaches or neck pain," said Dr Carol Tham, a consultant from the National Neuroscience Institute's neurology department. "Unfortunately, most patients do not have any warning symptoms before the stroke occurs."
During a stroke, people often experience difficulty speaking and walking, weakness on one side of their bodies, and even temporary blindness.
Dr Ho King Hee, a neurologist at Gleneagles Hospital Singapore, said strokes that result in sudden death are likely to be due to bleeding in the brain from a ruptured blood vessel, rather than a blockage.
"If you are older, it means that there is more time for damage (to the blood vessels) to accumulate," he said. "But a stroke can happen at any age."
He advises people who have conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes to keep them in check.
Dr Tham added that doctors may also prescribe blood-thinning medication for people whose blood tends to clot.
"If a person has any symptoms of stroke... he should seek treatment at the emergency department immediately as early treatment can help to reduce the disability caused by strokes," she said.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on November 19, 2016, with the headline '1 in 10 stroke patients here aged under 50'.
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/1-in-10-stroke-patients-here-aged-under-50

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agent said one doctor charged his patient $20k per injection for chemotherapy and put the poor patient through a whole series of tests. Instead of referring him to other doctors who may know exactly what to do, he over-treated the patient and the patient died because the doctor refuses to share his goldmine with other doctors.

The sad part is, we only have to look at Japan to find the solution. Japanese government split consultation from treatment so patient only go to doctors for prescription, they then go to public pharmacy where they get medication at a fraction of the cost. The same medication would cost less than 1/10th of the price in Japan then in Singapore.

Had a relative who was warded at TTS. The family refused a treatment recommended by a doctor. The doctor threatened the family that he could override their decision if he and another doctor agreed to it.

So if you have insurance & $$$ the doctors in Spore can force expensive treatment on you.

Alantis

Alfrescian
Loyal
You check into hospital, it is like going to eat at "hawkers center", "food courts (b2 with no aircond), (b1 with aircond) or classy resturant, with concierge & private 'server'). You must book your stay like , booking into a hotel, to ensure that you that your medical insurance deductibles is maxed before you can use your medical insurance, if not your medisave is limited to certain amount a day....you have to pay cash & furthermore you have to co pay 10%.."

Our government policy rely on a certain formula: they are not nipping the root cause of the inflated cost but choose to provide subsidy and coverage in different areas to Ensure the struggle ones has means to tap on to cover the rising cost. We see that in medical, child care, utilities etc etc. The result : it provide a short term relief for the struggle ones as the subsidies came in handy to defray the cost. However in actual fact, the struggle ones and the rest of the public is worse off because (1) the root cost of rising cost is not being tackle (2) the formula is flaw because all vendors knows that ah kong is co-funding it and decided to charge exhobitant price to it (3) the middle class being sandwich in between has to take up the rising cost by themselves with little or no subsidy.

20 years ago my dad went for chemo and radiation at national cancer center was about 2-3k per session with 40% support. Today I was with my Friend's Wife going to a same chemo, caused 6-7k with 40% support as well. The inflated cost was 300% with no apparent improvement in their medical administration.

15 years ago my child go for pre school in the Neighbourhood cost me about $250 a month; with all the subsidy kicking in recent years, the Neighbourhood pre school now charge about $700. Of course you get few hundred subsidy from government but you are paying $300 + still; and there is no enhancement on the pre school program! Another example of a failed policy. It simply doesn't address the problem.

The only people who benefit are the vendors as money flow into them. As for the people, you make your own judgement.

Alantis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our government policy rely on a certain formula: they are not nipping the root cause of the inflated cost but choose to provide subsidy and coverage in different areas to Ensure the struggle ones has means to tap on to cover the rising cost. We see that in medical, child care, utilities etc etc. The result : it provide a short term relief for the struggle ones as the subsidies came in handy to defray the cost. However in actual fact, the struggle ones and the rest of the public is worse off because (1) the root cost of rising cost is not being tackle (2) the formula is flaw because all vendors knows that ah kong is co-funding it and decided to charge exhobitant price to it (3) the middle class being sandwich in between has to take up the rising cost by themselves with little or no subsidy.

20 years ago my dad went for chemo and radiation at national cancer center was about 2-3k per session with 40% support. Today I was with my Friend's Wife going to a same chemo, caused 6-7k with 40% support as well. The inflated cost was 300% with no apparent improvement in their medical administration.

15 years ago my child go for pre school in the Neighbourhood cost me about $250 a month; with all the subsidy kicking in recent years, the Neighbourhood pre school now charge about $700. Of course you get few hundred subsidy from government but you are paying $300 + still; and there is no enhancement on the pre school program! Another example of a failed policy. It simply doesn't address the problem.

The only people who benefit are the vendors as money flow into them. As for the people, you make your own judgement

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/aia-joins-aviva-prudential-in-raising-ip-premiums

Just received the notices from AIA that my premiums for Healthshield riders have jumped almost 100%! Unbelievable...

My agent explained that in recent years (after Susan Lim's case), doctors have been going rampant in overcharging and the government authorities are doing nothing. As such, AIA have to increase their premiums but at the same time, put up a list of "approved" panels and doctors. If doctors overcharged their clients, AIA will remove them from these panels. So you can assumed that those not in the list are known to be bad doctors who overcharges.

But why is the government doing nothing about this??

Well, my colleague gave the answer to that - our Ministers are already complaining that their salary have been reduced (though nobody have seen any details about that) and given that their salary is pegged to top earners in Singapore (including doctors), do you think they will reign in the doctors?

Doctors are NOT on that list of top earners used to peg Ministers salaries to.