• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

After the elections, I am reminiscing about the past. Please contribute

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi..!

For the record, old timers know that I used to cover the run up to the 2006GE and made several predictions. I left Singapore in 2008 and hence also left the forum only to return to Singapore in Feb 2011. My innate interest in elections and the fact that I had a network here helped me to get back into the inside track. Based on my model and also my network, I accurately predicted both the vote share and also the wins for WP in Aljunied and Hougang. Though people were optimistic about other GRC/SMC, I knew nothing will come out.

I am happy to see some old forummers like Scroobal, Locke, Porfirio, but miss some of the others. It would have been fun to hear the views of some of the popular forummers in the old forum and spar with them. I am giving a list of their nicks and wondering whether anyone is still there. If you are still here, I just want to say Hi..! :smile: And if you are not, well tough luck :smile:

Here are the nicks (there could be some spelling errors):

1. Ng Ejay
  2. QXP: I wonder how he will use his language to take a dig at LKY.
  3. Bkworm: A solid thinker
  4. Ptrader: A SDP loyalist who couldn't stand WP or PAP.
  5. Lambaste:
  6. peasantjudge:
  7. Sneering Tree: I think he is still around and active.
  8. jw5
  9. zhihau:
  10. jacy

The ladies that I missed:
  1. Tracy Tan: I think she was from SPH and always wanted to ferret out opinion here with her one liner questions
  2. Bellepepper: A remarkable writer, who had a way with words especially sarcasm
  3. EW69:
  4. The lady who would complain of illness caused due to insecticide spraying. I think she was delusional.

What happened to some of these guys:
  1. Injunction
  2. sirnotswit
  3. The guy who had cancer and talked about it here

Has sam continued with his English classes on the usage of advice and advise?

Anyone wants to add to the names or just update what happened to these guys?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Has sam continued with his English classes on the usage of advice and advise? ...
dat burger has learnt a new lesson since den n is now oso going around boasting his newly acquired knowledge in using loose n lose ... :rolleyes:

tioliaohuat

Alfrescian
Loyal
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:biggrin:oNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]Originally Posted by Ramseth to sam the [/FONT]Language expert
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:biggrin:oNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> You ride on a road. The past tense of ride is rode.

You should take a course for Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) to improve beyond advice versus advise and lose versus loose.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?t=66815&page=3[/FONT]

SpareTyre

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Serenditpity,

i remember you.

I used to be on this forum, think I joined about the same time as Lockeliberal. Used to enjoy reading your posts, also that of those you had mentioned, and of course trolling PAP spammers. At one point, I succeeded in becoming a spammer magnet...the most hardheaded spammers stuck to me like gum on a shoe. Great fun

But I left the forum after less than a year (graduated from uni), stayed away for many years and only came back about 2 weeks ago. Lots happened in the intervening years. Lived and worked in three different continents, fall in love, married, had kids...never thought I'd ever come back on this forum. But hey, if this is where breaking election news happens...

I used to have a different nick, but I can't remember what it was.

Hi..!

For the record, old timers know that I used to cover the run up to the 2006GE and made several predictions. I left Singapore in 2008 and hence also left the forum only to return to Singapore in Feb 2011. My innate interest in elections and the fact that I had a network here helped me to get back into the inside track. Based on my model and also my network, I accurately predicted both the vote share and also the wins for WP in Aljunied and Hougang. Though people were optimistic about other GRC/SMC, I knew nothing will come out.

I am happy to see some old forummers like Scroobal, Locke, Porfirio, but miss some of the others. It would have been fun to hear the views of some of the popular forummers in the old forum and spar with them. I am giving a list of their nicks and wondering whether anyone is still there. If you are still here, I just want to say Hi..! :smile: And if you are not, well tough luck :smile:

Here are the nicks (there could be some spelling errors):

1. Ng Ejay
  2. QXP: I wonder how he will use his language to take a dig at LKY.
  3. Bkworm: A solid thinker
  4. Ptrader: A SDP loyalist who couldn't stand WP or PAP.
  5. Lambaste:
  6. peasantjudge:
  7. Sneering Tree: I think he is still around and active.
  8. jw5
  9. zhihau:
  10. jacy

The ladies that I missed:
  1. Tracy Tan: I think she was from SPH and always wanted to ferret out opinion here with her one liner questions
  2. Bellepepper: A remarkable writer, who had a way with words especially sarcasm
  3. EW69:
  4. The lady who would complain of illness caused due to insecticide spraying. I think she was delusional.

What happened to some of these guys:
  1. Injunction
  2. sirnotswit
  3. The guy who had cancer and talked about it here

Has sam continued with his English classes on the usage of advice and advise?

Anyone wants to add to the names or just update what happened to these guys?

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi..!

Feels nice to be remembered after all these years. For the record, I joined the original Sam's forum in 1998. Maybe I am an old fart :smile:

Hi Serenditpity,

i remember you.

I used to be on this forum, think I joined about the same time as Lockeliberal. Used to enjoy reading your posts, also that of those you had mentioned, and of course trolling PAP spammers. At one point, I succeeded in becoming a spammer magnet...the most hardheaded spammers stuck to me like gum on a shoe. Great fun

But I left the forum after less than a year (graduated from uni), stayed away for many years and only came back about 2 weeks ago. Lots happened in the intervening years. Lived and worked in three different continents, fall in love, married, had kids...never thought I'd ever come back on this forum. But hey, if this is where breaking election news happens...

I used to have a different nick, but I can't remember what it was.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My friend Mentor Moris...and that Ramseth, madmansg...:biggrin: Oh Yeah!..neh neh pok! postnew with his wonderful pics of the past..

Last edited:

SpareTyre

Alfrescian
Loyal
1998...that must have been about the time I started in the Sammyboy forum too. There was Sammyboy and another one, icered. It was either 1998 or 1999, those were the two years when I literally lived in the computer labs in my uni.

Now that you mentioned it, yeah, I also enjoyed Bkworm's posts. Tracy Tan, who came in after I stopped reading this forum regularly.....didn't miss much. Sam Leong, ptader, SneeringTree, are still here...but they've mellowed. Age does that.

Amongst my Singaporean friends of my age, I was one of the first to start assessing our government critically. Part of that is me, but part of that is also the alternative education supplied by people like you on this forum. I thank you.

Until online forums such as these, I had a vague disquiet that something was not quite right in Singapore but could never put my finger on it. In the 2001 election, probably 90% of my friends (from a good boys school) voted PAP. By 2011, perhaps less than half did. This trend will continue as long as PAP keeps taking short cuts and skiving on the job.

So, what have you been doing in the years that you were gone? Has life been good to you?

Hi..!

Feels nice to be remembered after all these years. For the record, I joined the original Sam's forum in 1998. Maybe I am an old fart :smile:

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Any update on the other guys mentioned in my original post

as much as i gather...

1. Ng Ejay: writes more on his blog now, sgpolitics
  2. QXP: our warhorse parked his bike at the NLB and got into some trouble it seems.
  3. peasantjudge: now posting at 3in1kopitiam back in Delphi
  4. jacy: more active on his FB
  5. TracyTan866: i think i saw her posting in 3in1kopitiam as well.

there are some other interesting characters like...
madmansg: NS is killing SG
marjojohn: laukwaybu's tonic is the best

there's also AgentLex, applei and some other folks =)

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some people are still around, some people had moved on. Some just need to change nick because of what happened in the old sammyboy.

Those old timers who are still active can easily be seen.

as much as i gather...

2. QXP: our warhorse parked his bike at the NLB and got into some trouble it seems.

SpareTyre

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also vaguely remember the cancer guy, stirring stuff. Where-ever he is now, I wish him well.

Its terrible how little I remember from the time I spent on sammyboy 10 years ago.

I guess its a combination of factors

1. I said goodbye to Singapore and therefore also sammyboy already in my mind, and had started my new life overseas when I got that first job and girlfriend overseas. Singapore in 1999 was a horrible place to be for a single guy in his 20s whose main goals in life was to read good books and experience new things. Singapore in 2011 is significantly more acceptable for a married 30 something whose new goals is to spend more time with family and true friends

2. Too many good parties, excess of intoxicants. Not gonna do that ever again, but it was worth it then. And just for the record....you can't beat Madrid as a place to fritter your youth

3. A lot has happened between 2000 and 2011. I won't be surprised (and may even be a little relieved) if the noughties turn out to be the most eventful decade of my life. Only limited space in my limited brain...I no longer even remember the name of the girl who got me all angst-ridden and Byronically unhappy in 2002...who'd have thought!

4. Too many other experiences....possibly the fact I can't even remember my sammyboy nick is proof that I've packed a lot of living in the past decade. Hanging out with the homeless in Chicago, dining with cabinet ministers, Costa Smeralda beaches and private jets, Mongolia on horseback, Iran by hitch-hiking, peaks in the Hindu Kush, corals in the Caribbean, blue-berries in the Artic and maize beer by the Zambezi. Black girlfriends, white girlfriends, yellow girlfriends. Shit jobs, really shitty jobs, good jobs, really good jobs.

5. In 1997, I was Straits Times, Lee Kuan Yew, John Steinbeck, 98.7. In 2011, I am NY Times, fuck Lee Kuan Yew, Bertrand Russell, BBC R4.

Yea, definitely did not waste my time.

Towards another good decade!

Last edited:

SpareTyre

Alfrescian
Loyal
HAHA. This one I remember!

NS IS KILLING SINGAPORE

Its starting to come back, a slow trickle

as much as i gather...

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi..!

well, if u felt educated with posts from people like me, I feel honored. Thank you :smile:

Well, I left Singapore and moved to another country in 2008 and came back in feb this year. I would visit singapore just 1-2 times each year for a week or so. Life has it's ups and downs.

But right after I came back, I sensed that GE was in the air. Guys told me that this forum has become very boring. But you can call it loyalty or like some attachment to one's ex, I decided to post here. I may leave Singapore again in August, though nothing is certain.

1998...that must have been about the time I started in the Sammyboy forum too. There was Sammyboy and another one, icered. It was either 1998 or 1999, those were the two years when I literally lived in the computer labs in my uni.

Now that you mentioned it, yeah, I also enjoyed Bkworm's posts. Tracy Tan, who came in after I stopped reading this forum regularly.....didn't miss much. Sam Leong, ptader, SneeringTree, are still here...but they've mellowed. Age does that.

Amongst my Singaporean friends of my age, I was one of the first to start assessing our government critically. Part of that is me, but part of that is also the alternative education supplied by people like you on this forum. I thank you.

Until online forums such as these, I had a vague disquiet that something was not quite right in Singapore but could never put my finger on it. In the 2001 election, probably 90% of my friends (from a good boys school) voted PAP. By 2011, perhaps less than half did. This trend will continue as long as PAP keeps taking short cuts and skiving on the job.

So, what have you been doing in the years that you were gone? Has life been good to you?

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you had a great life! All this is part of growing up :smile:

Also vaguely remember the cancer guy, stirring stuff. Where-ever he is now, I wish him well.

Its terrible how little I remember from the time I spent on sammyboy 10 years ago.

I guess its a combination of factors

Looks like you had a great life :smile:

1. I said goodbye to Singapore and therefore also sammyboy already in my mind, and had started my new life overseas when I got that first job and girlfriend overseas. Singapore in 1999 was a horrible place to be for a single guy in his 20s whose main goals in life was to read good books and experience new things. Singapore in 2011 is significantly more acceptable for a married 30 something whose new goals is to spend more time with family and true friends

2. Too many good parties, excess of intoxicants. Not gonna do that ever again, but it was worth it then. And just for the record....you can't beat Madrid as a place to fritter your youth

3. A lot has happened between 2000 and 2011. I won't be surprised (and may even be a little relieved) if the noughties turn out to be the most eventful decade of my life. Only limited space in my limited brain...I no longer even remember the name of the girl who got me all angst-ridden and Byronically unhappy in 2002...who'd have thought!

4. Too many other experiences....possibly the fact I can't even remember my sammyboy nick is proof that I've packed a lot of living in the past decade. Hanging out with the homeless in Chicago, dining with cabinet ministers, Costa Smeralda beaches and private jets, Mongolia on horseback, Iran by hitch-hiking, peaks in the Hindu Kush, corals in the Caribbean, blue-berries in the Artic and maize beer by the Zambezi. Black girlfriends, white girlfriends, yellow girlfriends. Shit jobs, really shitty jobs, good jobs, really good jobs.

5. In 1997, I was Straits Times, Lee Kuan Yew, John Steinbeck, 98.7. In 2011, I am NY Times, fuck Lee Kuan Yew, Bertrand Russell, BBC R4.

Yea, definitely did not waste my time.

Towards another good decade!

serenditpity

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi..!

I wonder what has QXP's bike at NLB to posting here :smile: Anyway, we sparred a lot and that guy had all the time in the world to do research, distort stuff and be nasty to LKY.

TT was (in my view) a jjournalist from SPH.

as much as i gather...

SpareTyre

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me too, came back to Singapore and Sammyboy in May for a number of reasons...GE one of them

Last edited:

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Serendipity,

Definitely remember you as one of the few oldies who had fairly solid info, accurate analyses and predictions as compared to the one or two oldies who would bullshit their way by passing off 100 gossips, hearsay and guesstimates as "insider facts" and clinging on to that one which came in right in order to salvage their reputations.

It may surprise the oldies but, like the WP and NSP of the early 90s, I used to dislike the SDP under Chiam See Tong for their arrogance and was rooting for the WP then. I was never a fan of arrogance.

I will post some old 90 articles below and in a new thread for the newer forummers to have a sense of Chiam's SDP arrogance when they had 4 seats.

Hopefully, it will be instructive to the WP and their supporters as I sense a creeping arrogance in LTK's and his supporters' post election claims language and tone. Hopefully it is nothing more than temporary triumphalism and they are able to get down from cloud nine quickly and be humble.

Anyway good to see you. I pop in here every once in a long while and with the elections over, will unlikely visit this forum after today unless something exciting in Singapore comes up. A new and younger generation has come on board and I supposed oldies like us can all take a very tiny bit of credit for creating that unruly, rambunctious online environment which helped people join in and speak up, albeit anonymously. Credit of course to Sam for creating that platform which allowed us to do so.

Cheers and all the best bro.

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
147th Reports on the SDP's arrogance...

SJP and NSP attack SDP for assuming mantle of leadership in the opposition
12 December 1992
147th Prostitute Press

"* By-election in Marine Parade GRC ----------------------------------
THE Singapore Democratic Party came under fire from the two other opposition
parties contesting the poll for promoting itself as the main opposition player in a two-party system.

The National Solidarity Party said that Singapore was not ready for a two-party system as it would take years to increase opposition strength in Parliament from the present four seats.

In any case, how could SDP be the main opposition party when it was so similar to the PAP, asked NSP candidate and party president Tan Chee Kien at the NSP's rally last night.

He said that the NSP did not expect to win the by-election, but wanted to gain electoral support to strengthen its position as an opposition party.

"This by-election is not about who will win or lose. We join the by-election , frankly speaking, without the attitude that we will win," he said in Mandarin.

At another rally, the Singapore Justice Party accused the SDP of arrogance for claiming that it would treat the by-election as a one-to-one fight with the ruling party...."

NSP steps up attacks against other parties and Chiam

147th Prostitute Press
13 December 1992

"* By-election in Marine Parade GRC ----------------------------------

THE National Solidarity Party last night stepped up its attacks against the three other parties contesting the by-election, reserving its most vitriolic comments for the Singapore Democratic Party and its leader Chiam See Tong.

Almost to a man, candidates and NSP members described the SDP as arrogant for presuming that it was the main opposition party, with a speaker suggesting that Mr Chiam's title as unofficial leader of the opposition had gone to his head.

The speakers, who used mainly Mandarin and Hokkien, cited as proof of SDP's arrogance and incompetence:

* SDP's refusal to join the Cost Review Committee.

* SDP MPs' performance in Parliament.

* SDP-Workers' Party unity talks which left NSP out in the cold, and resulte d in a four-cornered fight in the by-election.

Said former SDP member Ken Sunn, now NSP secretary-general and a candidate:

"Never trust the SDP. I know it well, and I know they are not really democratic, only democratic in name."

Added candidate Sarry Hassan: "Look at the opposition in Parliament. What have they done? Policies are being changed all the time."

NSP member Ong Seng Kwe even suggested that Mr Chiam was arrogant because he was English-educated and lacked Confucian values..."

Opposition leaders dismiss Chiam's 'arrogant' claim
147th Prostitute Press
21 December 1992

"Marine Parade GRC by-election : The day after ---------------------------------------------

OPPOSITION leaders have dismissed as mistaken and arrogant Mr Chiam See Tong's claim that voters in Saturday's by-election endorsed his Singapore Democratic Party as the second force in a two-party political system.

"Chiam can draw whatever conclusion he likes. It doesn't follow that he is right," said Workers' Party chief J.B. Jeyaretnam yesterday.

"I don't think that the electorate is showing that it only wants two parties." ...
...Secretary-general Jeyaretnam's participation in the by-election had appeared
initially to be a foregone conclusion. But on Nomination Day, the fourth candidate on his team failed to show up on time, resulting in the party's shock pull-out.

"I was unhappy, and I'm still unhappy," Mr Jeyaretnam said. But noting that the SDP and the ruling party were "crowing" over the incident, he added: "They can get on the roof-tops and shout that the Workers' Party is finished. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating." ..."

...In the NSP camp, secretary-general Ken Sunn accused Mr Chiam of arrogance an d selfishness.

He said that SDP's refusal to acknowledge the other opposition parties was similar to the PAP's attitude to the opposition as a whole.

He warned that with such an attitude, the SDP, if it ever came to power, would then be in favour of a one-party state.

"Can we afford to let this kind of people run the country?" said Mr Sunn, wh o quit the SDP to help form NSP in 1987.

Defending the need for a multiplicity of opposition parties, he said that different parties represented different sections of society: "If you only want black and white, what about all the colours in between?" ...

...Mr Sahid Sahooman, president of the Singapore Malay National Organisation (PKMS), said that Mr Goh had performed well, thereby strengthening his position in the ruling party. Like other opposition leaders, Mr Sahid also believed that there was room for more than one strong opposition party.

"Mr Chiam can say what he likes. We are confident that we have support," he said.

PKMS deputy president Mohamed Awang added that WP's non-participation meant that SDP could not claim the by-election to be an accurate gauge of support for it.

Mr Ibrahim Ariff, president of the year-old Singapore National Front, also disagreed with Mr Chiam's interpretation, pointing out that SDP's performance was little better than the SJP's 22.8 per cent score in last year's general election.

All the opposition leaders interviewed also dismissed Mr Chiam's statement that the days of electoral pacts were over, and that it was now every party for itself. They said they would continue to work for opposition solidarity regardless of SDP's stand. "