• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Advice on building own website

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Sounds like you are looking at your own custom database schema for specific purposes. Though for commerce type of functionality, most of the ecommerce plugins should serve your needs. They are also well-tested and supported and you shouldnt really need to design your own database.

I'm surprised he did not bring up the most useful scripting language of all viz PHP. Using PHP to manipulate code and MySQL is the most logical step of all.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing.

I use go daddy hosting.

I use XAMPP for creating database and tables for testing and also to build data base in my host database using XAMPP.

Use MS Sql has features to import/export to MS Office Access to manage your database. Setup tables (PK, unique) in Access and export to host database.

Maybe I take the hardyard learning Mysql and MS Sql to manage my host database.

XAMPP is typically used for development or testing environments only.

Presumably you would be using some hosting services, the hosting provider will provide you with Apache install out-of-the-box.
They would also provide the various tools for administering the Apache server.

Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal themselves are CMSes; they come with their own database schema and web user interfaces are provided for you to manage the contents of your website. You don't need to and should not go onto a SQL level to manage the contents unless you are intimately familiar with the schema.

Sounds like you are looking at your own custom database schema for specific purposes. Though for commerce type of functionality, most of the ecommerce plugins should serve your needs. They are well-tested and supported and typically create additional tables on top of the CMSes' database schema and hence you shouldnt need to design your own database.

The hosting provider will also host the database for you. Tools will be provided for you to export, backup, maintain, etc, the database. You don't need MS Access to connect to the database.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are correct.

I do use php script to access to sql and php can do many things too. Such as use Php file to manage 'menu' if need to change the menu just go to the file to modify it rather than having to go to all pages to change it.

I'm surprised he did not bring up the most useful scripting language of all viz PHP. Using PHP to manipulate code and MySQL is the most logical step of all.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Incomedia x5

Been using it for about 5 years now. Pretty user friendly for creating simple websites

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Woo turns six! 50% off everything for 24 hours

Today is our birthday and we are six! Survival alone is an accomplishment for tech companies today and so we're proud to have grown and matured within this wonderful ecosystem known as WordPress. Read some thoughts from Mark on six years of WooThemes.

We’re grateful for each of the past 2191 days and to celebrate are doing two things:

WordPress Contributions, are something we believe in and today, between eating cake, each of us are giving a halfday back to our lifeblood. We look forward to sharing the results with you soon.

50% Off Sale for 24 Hours? You got it. We wanted to express our thanks to the community that make our business possible and so we're going large with 50% off all of our products.

The coupon to use at checkout is woo-turns-six. No fine print, no exclusions.

Now's the time to give your site a lick of paint and make that purchase you've had your eye on. Basically, go buck wild because for the next 24 hours you’re doubling your dollar.

From all of us at WooThemes, thank you. We look forward to journeying on with you.