• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Had these for dinner last night -

Live steam garoupa (400g)

Black Pepper Crab (600g)

Fried Large Tiger Prawns with Salted Egg sauce (300g)

Sambal Balacan Kangkong

I like the way they serve the rice

Avocado Juice

Extra Stout

The meal cost exactly S$60, not bad ya?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
How are things in Jakarta pii joey? Memories of 98 riot still fresh in my mind.
Riot is long over but not forgotten. I heard some horror story from my staff. Also claimed that some condos near my place here haunted because so many killings and rapes happened in that condo. Will this happen again? Not so sure man.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I discovered a new type of food here in Indonesia called Penyet. The restaurant name is Warung Leko.

Penyet food is basically meat served with earthen plate over sambal terasi (Indonesians don't call balacan like how we call balacan its known as terasi in Indonesia). They serve in different degree of spiciness. Here are some example of Penyet

Our lunch

Penyet Tempeh

Penyet Ayam Goreng

Penyet Beef Ribs

Roasted Beef Ribs

See how soft and succulent the meat is when I broke it from the bone

There are two main Penyet chains namely Leko and Tekko. I was told that the Leko chain, the one I went this afternoon, is more delicious - http://warungleko.co.id/ I also found out that Singapore also has one Penyet restaurant - http://waroengpenyet.com/home/sg however looking at the pics in the website its nothing like what I had, the original.

Cheers.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
penyet had been selling here in spore for years liao. but mostly of local version of this indon food. the most authentic indon version of penyet i ever ate was in the market/food centre of clementi ave 2. the one that have a shengsiong and ntuc beside it. other than the chicken, they also had 1/4 of a deep fried tougau, a tempay, some lettuce, cucumber and a slice of tomato with indon version of sambal.

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
I discovered a new type of food here in Indonesia called Penyet. The restaurant name is Warung Leko.

Penyet food is basically meat served with earthen plate over sambal terasi (Indonesians don't call balacan like how we call balacan its known as terasi in Indonesia). They serve in different degree of spiciness. Here are some example of Penyet

Our lunch

Penyet Tempeh

Penyet Ayam Goreng

Penyet Beef Ribs

Roasted Beef Ribs

See how soft and succulent the meat is when I broke it from the bone

There are two main Penyet chains namely Leko and Tekko. I was told that the Leko chain, the one I went this afternoon, is more delicious - http://warungleko.co.id/ I also found out that Singapore also has one Penyet restaurant - http://waroengpenyet.com/home/sg however looking at the pics in the website its nothing like what I had, the original.

Cheers.

Pii Joe, ever try Chiangmai kangtok, it is a feast where chicken prepared in a similar fashion as penyet is served with khao niao.

ypres

Alfrescian
Loyal
Riot is long over but not forgotten. I heard some horror story from my staff. Also claimed that some condos near my place here haunted because so many killings and rapes happened in that condo. Will this happen again? Not so sure man.

Hi Pii Joe. How is the relationship between the the majority and the minority in Jakarta? Yes no one knows for sure when the madness will repeat itself again. Anyway Indonesian history has a long history of pogrom against Chinese dating back to Dutch rule when they were wrestling with Chinese merchants over Indonesian market up to the down fall of Sukarno or Suharto (always mix up the names) during the 60s where Chinese were labelled as reds. Dr Lily Neo who is a Indonesian Chinese narrated how she witnessed the death of her friend during the purging of Chinese when she was little. It is also interesting to note that Thailand under PM Phibun also compared Chinese to Jews before WW2.

Must be scary to stay in that condo with so many raped and murdered females ghosts wandering about.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi Pii Joe. How is the relationship between the the majority and the minority in Jakarta? Yes no one knows for sure when the madness will repeat itself again. Anyway Indonesian history has a long history of pogrom against Chinese dating back to Dutch rule when they were wrestling with Chinese merchants over Indonesian market up to the down fall of Sukarno or Suharto (always mix up the names) during the 60s where Chinese were labelled as reds. Dr Lily Neo who is a Indonesian Chinese narrated how she witnessed the death of her friend during the purging of Chinese when she was little. It is also interesting to note that Thailand under PM Phibun also compared Chinese to Jews before WW2.

Must be scary to stay in that condo with so many raped and murdered females ghosts wandering about.

Think status quo la. Chinese will always be discriminated simply because we are just more hard working.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Crap! Flight 12.35noon now is 3.20pm and I 'm still in the lounge. Delayed due to fuel pump problem. Latest is it'll fly at 5pm. Let's see.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Nasi Jinggo, don't worry about the funny name, this is not bad (serve at the lounge)

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Watched a great moving love story movie in flight today, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, long but worth watching.

Here's the music video

[video=youtube;TsEp59EMtOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEp59EMtOs[/video]

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oil spill

Update on oil spill near Koh Samet

oil.jpg

oil2.jpg

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/362440/oil-spill-continues-to-drift-spread

And excessive use of dispersant by PTT?
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/362445/pcd-says-pttgc-used-excessive-amounts-of-dispersant

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Haven't been here a month, gosh it's nice to be back

null-1164.jpg

The Frence

null-1615.jpg

The salmon salad

null-1823.jpg

The fresh oyster Thai salad

null-1675.jpg